• Earth Hour: Helping Save Planet Earth for Just 1 Hour

What could you do with one hour every night?
      - watch famed teleseryes (maybe catch a glimpse of Kris A. announcing her showbiz hiatus.. oh please!)
      - mani/pedi
      - massage
      - read a chapter or two of a book
      - browse the internet
      - chika galore with your friends

or you can help save our Planet.

How can you help Planet Earth in just one hour?

Simple.

Join the earth hour, together with the rest of the world.

----

Tonight, the entire world will once again come together in a symbolic event to save our planet. Known as Earth Hour, the global event was started in Sydney, Australia in 2007 where 2.2 million people and 2,100 businesses joined in on the campaign with the aim of helping promote awareness of climate change. The event has since then spread all over the world with more than 7,000 cities and 152 countries committing to do their share.

The idea behind Earth Hour is simple. Our planet is obviously facing serious environmental problems as evidenced by all the unpredictable and devastating natural calamities. In the past 15 years alone, there have been more critical environmental challenges than in the 50 years before that. The road towards saving our planet may seem difficult at the moment, but history has shown that no change is impossible when done as a group. Earth Hour aims to be a part of that first step towards collective action by targeting not just organizations or businesses but individuals as well.

Among the Earth Hour’s major accomplishments to date are:
      • In Uganda, the world’s first Earth Hour Forest was allocated with 2700 hectares of land, challenging Ugandans to fill it with 500,000 trees to fight against the 6000 hectares of deforestation that occurs in the country every month. Standard Chartered Bank (250,000 trees), the Ugandan Minister of Water Environment (1,000 trees) and many individuals have taken on the challenge.
      • The Russian parliament passed a long-awaited law to protect the country’s seas from oil pollution in December after the voices of 120,000 Russians were presented to the government during the I Will If You Will campaign for Earth Hour 2012.
      • The Former President of Botswana and Earth Hour Botswana coordinators Wena Environmental Education and News Trust, recently launched a project called ‘One Million Trees-Plant For Life’ as part of our I Will If You Will campaign. The project will rehabilitate degraded lands through the planting of more than one million trees over four years in Botswana.

Earth Hour Global also launched the I Will If You Will campaign in 2012 that aims to give the individual the opportunity to have a bigger effect on the entire campaign. Basically, an individual person will make a promise to do something that he or she won’t normally do, such as go bald or stop smoking, if a certain number of people would commit to a specific action to help the environment. The action could be big or small, depending on the individual’s target audience such as locals in their area or even an entire city.

Since its inception, the I Will If You Will campaign has drawn a wide range of people across the society, from simple individuals to movie stars, big businessmen, and politicians.

Philippine involvement
      The Philippines has been part of the Earth Hour campaign since 2008. Led by WWF-Philippines, it has since gathered massive support both from the public and private sectors. In 2009, the Philippines was considered by Earth Hour Global as a Hero Country for having the most number of participating individuals and businesses. We have held that distinction and top spot ever since.

Aside from the regular campaign of switching off lights for an hour, the Philippines also came up with its own campaign. In 2011, WWF-Philippines launched the My1Thing campaign as part of the Beyond the Hour initiative. The campaign aims to “localize the language of climate adaptation, renewable energy, and energy efficiency to local governments, corporations, and schools through awareness building activities that teach Filipinos to create their own solution to climate change and stick to it.”

Activities in Cebu City
      In Cebu City, these are the following major activities that you could participate in:
      • Mall involvement – Cebu City’s malls have always been avid supporters of Earth Hour. Every year the biggest malls in the city such as SM and Ayala Center initiate a mall-wide turning off of lights for an hour. Aside from that, they also have other activities for the entire day.
      At Ayala Center, there will be a photography contest that is open to students currently enrolled in any school in Cebu. “Elementary, High School and College students are all requested to support and be involved by submitting one photo depicting or suggesting your personal portrayal of Earth Hour. Required entry is one 4R print (no borders, watermarks or names) - shot from any camera. You are then required to personally hang on provided display panels at the Ayala Center Cebu on March 22, 2013. Please provide your name and contact information at the back of the print.
      Please go directly to the Earth Hour area at the Activity Center, Ayala Center Cebu, register and hang your photo yourself on the panels provided. The Photo Contest is limited to the first 500 hangers!”
      Aside from their mall activity, there will also be a family day to be held at the Cebu Business park grounds with activities such as face painting, bubble shows, and jugglers starting at 2pm. There will also be a dog walk and fitness sessions later on.
      SM City Cebu will be celebrating Earth Hour at the Northwing Al Fresco with a countdown party with DJ Kirby. Mall-goers will also get a chance to win gift certificates by simply purchasing one SM Eco Bag and pair it with a minimum single receipt worth Php 100 from any Northwing Al Fresco tenant. Join and enjoy the ceremonial lights off at 8:30 PM with special performances by the Cebu Fire Dancers and Kendaya Percussion Ensemble.

• Hotels- Cebu Hotels are also participating in Earth Hour! Cebu Parklane International Hotel, for example, closes their light at exactly 830pm while you can dine with local treats at Kan-anan, which is at the 4th floor.

Marco Polo Plaza Cebu also has activities for Earth Hour. This five star hotel will feature cuisine made from local products and prepared through energy saving cooking methods at the Café Marco. For those who prefer to dine at 1,000 feet above sea level, a special organic set menu awaits at the Blu Bar and Grill.
      From 8:30 to 9:30 in the evening, join Marco Polo Plaza Cebu for a night of candlelight and music as we join the whole world in commemorating Earth Hour.

• Earth Hour Night Ride 2013 – Habagat once again partners with the local Earth Hour organizers will be holding its yearly Night Ride for bikers. The throng of bikers will go around the city to encourage people and establishments to turn off their lights for an hour.

The actual ride would start 6:30 PM, and the turning off the lights at 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM.

So, my dear iSTORYAns, where will you be tonight during Earth Hour? Feel free to post some pictures or comment below so you can have a chance to win this solar-powered light-bulb from Nokero! Deadline of entries will be on March 24, 2013 not later than 2pm! Winners will be announced within the week!

Get a chance to win this solar-powered light bulb! It's as easy as posting a pic or a narration of where you were at Earth Hour.

For more information regarding the global event and other countries’ participation, visit the official Earth Hour website at http://earthhour.org/

sevmik
      Hendrix Valmoria
      iSTORYAn League of Writers
      You may like...
      Comments 13 Comments
        musicsavant -
        murag d jud ni mahitabo sa IT park.. kanang mga call center nga daghan kaaug computers ug dagko kaaug aircon, mastop ang operation for 1 hr.. murag super duper imposible to the nth power...
        sevmik -
        Quote Originally Posted by musicsavant View Post
        murag d jud ni mahitabo sa IT park.. kanang mga call center nga daghan kaaug computers ug dagko kaaug aircon, mastop ang operation for 1 hr.. murag super duper imposible to the nth power...
        IT park has actually participated for the past two years by turning off lights for an hour. Of course, computers and ACs were still running, but they also had other initiatives during the day to support the campaign such as collecting signatures for a petition to the Philippine government for more proactive measures to help the environment.
        fredvillacampa -
        Quote Originally Posted by musicsavant View Post
        maguba ang operations brad if e turn off and mga devices... hehe
        ad_dur -
        last I wished computers & avaja's was also turned off ....
        LadyAerith -
        This is a really nice intitiative to aid in the conservation of energy
        yomyom699 -
        bright kaau ang nka idea ani.
        jack_guitarfreak -
        this could be a very big in saving energy....
        jack_guitarfreak -
        kung magtinabangay makaya rani,,imaginun lang gud nga naa tas bukid namuyo
        ghostie2472 -
        We are so dependent on energy that we use it 24 x 365, yet, what we can give back is just 1 lousy hour. I've roamed around SRP that night and I was not surprised to see much of cebu city is still lit up, even those homes up the mountains.

People really think 1 hour is going to "help" save our planet? With all the things that we're going to the planet?
        rexboy_choy -
        wai paki.....
        sevmik -
        Quote Originally Posted by ghostie2472 View Post
        We are so dependent on energy that we use it 24 x 365, yet, what we can give back is just 1 lousy hour. I've roamed around SRP that night and I was not surprised to see much of cebu city is still lit up, even those homes up the mountains.

People really think 1 hour is going to "help" save our planet? With all the things that we're going to the planet?
        the 1 hour initiative is merely a symbol to promote the purpose of the entire campaign, which is global cooperation to save mother earth. already, numerous businesses and thousands of individuals around the world have become aware of the need to help fight climate change through the 1 hour initiative, and there have been improvements such as changing to more efficient forms of lighting and cutting down on energy consumption, in addition to what was already stated in this article.

it is a slow process, yes, but if we don't start now do we wait until it's too late?
        johana -
        well this is one of the most important day that everyone of us must join. I am so excited to go to work during the earth hour because i know that we will have another 1 hour to rest for everyday stress (just wanna be honest). I' m always excited as well to think what do i need to do to save the environment. talking to my closest colleague while eating delicious snacks is one of our favorites during earth hour. hope everyone will join. have a great earth hour!!
        jc080208 -
        weeeeee mayta daghan mo cooperate ani oi nyc idea

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top