• More than Just a Cup of Coffee

Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world - Thomas Jefferson

Everywhere I look, I see coffee shops around the corner. Everybody seems to be addicted to it. Well, I myself am addicted to coffee. It perks me up in the morning after just a few hours of sleep. Coffee has been my partner for as long as I can remember.

Aside from being a favorite stimulant, coffee has various health benefits. Here is a list of how coffee is healthy:

1. Coffee can make you smart.
      The caffeine in coffee does not only work as a stimulant but would also block an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain which can improve one's mood and brain function. Coffee lessens depression and dementia, especially in women.

2. Coffee can help you lose weight.
      Another important benefit of caffeine is that it raises metabolism and enhances physical endurance by mobilizing fatty acids from fat tissues.

3. Coffee lowers risk of chronic illnesses
      Studies have shown that a compound found in coffee helps in blocking a substance in the body which can cause type 2 diabetes. Coffee also lowers the risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases since caffeine blocks the effect of adenosine, an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain.

Who says you need to spend more than a hundred pesos for a cup of coffee?? Hello? When was the last time you dipped hot bread into a cup of coffee? Yum!

4. Coffee is a great source of antioxidants.
      Antioxidants protect your cells against free radicals that can ruin your body. Having enough amount of antioxidants in the body helps detoxification and other cellular functions. Drinking coffee a day can help lower risk of skin cancer.

5. Coffee lowers your risk of dying.
      Studies have shown that non-coffee drinkers with certain chronic conditions are likely to die sooner than coffee drinkers with certain chronic conditions. Another study has shown that consuming two to three cups of coffee, whether caffeinated or decaffeinated, lower risk of death by all causes.

This is certainly not an endorsement for coffee. This is to show how coffee can be healthy. However, too much of it can be harmful so stick to one to two cups a day.
      As an apple a day keeps the doctor away, so does a cup of coffee.

-tiwtiw-
      Maria Celeste Abellana
      iSTORYAn League of Writers
      Food and Lifestyle
      You may like...
      Comments 18 Comments
        kat5252 -
        Agree! I don't think I can live without at least a cup of coffee a day
        mingkie -
        Bottoms up for all coffee aficionados!!
        bree -
        I used to be an addict and consumed like 5 cups a day. But stopped due to hyperacidity. Imagine the withdrawal phase i had to go through. But I still drink coffee once in a while. As they say,too much of something is bad
        vrose85 -
        Coffee, its like my partner. I cant live without it.
        sammedriano -
        As a call center agent. Coffee is my bestfriend
        houses -
        coffee really plays an important rule most especially in the business industry....
        houses -
        coffee is not good for me, i can't sleep even just drinking a cup of coffee until midnight...
        cloud99 -
        coffee is a vital part of my day , feels like it's incomplete without a sip of this magical brew
        reeses -
        Need more coffee... naw!!! :P
        letteman -
        This is great to know. Unfortunately I like my coffee with cream (coffee is only a third of one tablespoon). I think it holds more truth to these five things if you have it black and brewed. The kind of coffee I like contains a lot of fat and sugar. Haha
        cloudduster -
        I love coffee but I can still live without it
        browniies -
        i'll drink coffee from this day on. HAHAHA
        Jasmin Panis -
        Quote Originally Posted by sammedriano View Post
        As a call center agent. Coffee is my bestfriend

yes its the best partner specially you always in the front of the computer
        gleenjaan17 -
        Nice article! (y)
        tricia_adm -
        agree jud ko ani... i can't live without coffee..
        BuDaRaze -
        Dpende sa coffee. Atong coffee sa pinas mga tam.is mn. So kuyaw sa diabetes
        Qvent111 -
        Yes, I agree that coffee has benefits and I don't know about the long term ones but for the short term - we all know how mood changes after a cup of coffee in the morning. I trust only the coffee that I make by myself, the one from the streets is crap.
        maxxz91 -
        Coffee is one of the most tasty beverages for me. I love different sorts of coffee, for different parts of day. But besides good sort of coffee, it is also very important to choose a reliable coffee or espresso maker. I can recommend you to visit this best coffee espresso machine resource, and take a look at DeLonghi Combi model. It really looks like a masterpiece in the world of coffee making.

- - - Updated - - -

Coffee is one of the most tasty beverages for me. I love different sorts of coffee, for different parts of day. But besides good sort of coffee, it is also very important to choose a reliable coffee or espresso maker. I can recommend you to visit this best coffee espresso machine resource, and take a look at DeLonghi Combi model. It really looks like a masterpiece in the world of coffee making.

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top