Page 1 of 98 123411 ... LastLast

Default Chef/Culinary Talk with Cooking Tips

i can't cook but when i try to, i usually add a "personal loving touch" to the recipe. in order words, make a mess with it. i tend to fiddle with it until i like it. it drives my friends and family nuts because theirs never turns out like mine.

there are also times when you look at a certain recipe, some ingredients are just so rare that even the most sophisticated grocery in town don't have 'em. so i just use whatever's available and within reach.

tell me, how often do you subsitute or change ingredients in recipes? and what sorts? for example, instead of butter, you put on margarine.

also, what herbs and spices compliments what certain meat. (this really confuses me!) i heard basil is great with chicken.

of course, cooking with garlic. what dishes require lil, more or no garlic at all.

inputs please...

Default The Mess Hall: Cooking Tips

always hehe 90% of the time i play with the ingredients which drives my chef friends nuts because there are some ingredients that are dangerous. like for example u can never substtute baking powder withi baking soda but u can substitue baking soda with baking powder.

i play wiht the ingredients so much to the point that i dont measure anymore my ingredients when i bake

and oh i dont use margarine i dont like it. i substitute margarine with butter and butter with oil

isog ra kaayo ang taste/flavor sa margarine, I don't think I would use this as sub

really? i didn't know you can't substitute baking powder with baking soda. baking is probably something i might not want to substitute on. lisud remedyohan kung mapalpak...

by the way, what kind of oil ang pwede i-substitute with butter? any will do? i don't like margarine too.

i'll share what my friend sent me in the mail. i can only name a few that i've used. the rest are unknown to me.

Which herbs go well with what meat dishes?

Beef - Basil, Bay leaf, Caraway, Chervil, Lovage seed, Cumin, Garlic Fenugreek, Ginger, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme and Peppermint.

Ham - Lovage, Marjoram, Mint, Mustard, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary and Savory.

Pork - Anise, Caraway, Cardamom, Coriander, Chervil, Dill, Garlic, Ginger, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Tarragon, Fennel, Lovage seed, Marjoram, Savory and Thyme.

Liver - Basil, Dill, Marjoram, Sage, Savory and Thyme.

Turkey - Basil, Garlic, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme, Parsley and Sweet Marjoram.

Chicken - Thyme, Anise, Basil, Bay leaf, Borage, Chervil, Chives, Cinnamon, Cumin, Dill, Fenugreek, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Lovage, Lemon Balm, Marjoram, Mint Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory and Tarragon.

Duck - Bay, Rosemary, Sage, Sweet Marjoram and Tarragon.

Goose - Fennel, Sage and Sweet Marjoram.

Fish - Anise, Basil, Borage, Caraway, Chevil, Chives, Dill, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon and Thyme.

Baked or Grilled Fish - Basil, Bay, Caraway, Chervil, Chives, Dill, Fennel, Lemon Balm, Lemon Thyme, Lovage, Marjoram, Mints, Parsley, Savory, Tarragon and Thyme.

Salmon - Dill seed and Rosemary.

Fish Soups - Bay, Lovage, Sage, Savory, Tarragon and Thyme.

Oily Fish - Fennel and Dill.

Seafood - Basil, Bay, Chervil, Chives, Dill, Fennel Seed, Marjoram, Rosemary, Tarragon and Thyme.

note: Use herbs sparingly to enhance, not overpower the delicate flavour of fish. For maximum flavour add or refresh herbs near the end of roasting.

I use herbs depending on how I cook . Whats good on pork when broiled might not be good when being baked or grilled vice versa .
    " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. " - 2nd Amendment , Bill of Rights of the United States of America

if you have all the time in the world, just go and experiment. practise makes perfect i live alone and have to fend for myself. mum never taught me how to cook.
    WATCH YOUR ATTITUDE!

Blog Entries

when i bake

subsitute - ingredient
    peanuts - walnuts
    1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 cup water - 1 cup whole milk
    3 tablespoons cocoa + 1 tablespoon fat - 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sifted all purpose flour - 1 cup sifted cake flour
    1 cup + 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour - 1 cup sifted all purpose flour

when i cook

subsitute - ingredient
    repolyo or baguio pechay - native pechay
    pork liempo - pork pata
    green papaya - sayote
    ampalaya leaves or kalamunggay leaves - sili leaves
    salt or bagoong - patis
    bagiuo beans - sitaw(string beans)
    tofu - tokwa

One technique also that i will be using everytime I cook is by utilizing the stocks . If not readily available , it can substituted with a soup base like the Maggi Boulions . Though be according to it when using ie: when the meat is chicken , use only chicken broth and not beef broth . CHicken broth can be used on all poultry meats , beef broth on all beef meats and ham broth on all pork broths . I prefer the ham broth for all seafood dishes also .
    " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. " - 2nd Amendment , Bill of Rights of the United States of America

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 98 123411 ... LastLast