• Questions We should ask Ourselves as Christians

While plenty of people see the holy week as a time to unwind and go on vacation trips, it is also the best time to reflect and meditate. The Philippines remains to be a predominantly Christian country. But as the people who reside in it, there has been a tremendous inconsistency of exhibiting godly values. First of all, I'd like to clarify that I am not a preacher by profession nor am I the most radical Christian you will ever meet. But God has been so graciously good to continue letting His light shine in my life. And only because of His grace can I even come up with an article such as this.

While this holiday season in the Philippines devotes much of itself to religious practices, I believe that every day should be a moment in our lives to ask ourselves vital questions involving our faith.

1.) Who is God in my life?

Let's be honest. More often than not, God doesn't play a vital part in our every day lives. He is merely a fictional character who lives in the sky and in church. When was the last time we took the time to actually thank Him for blessing us? When was the last time we read the Bible just so we could hear from Him and know what He wants for our lives? Is God the primary source of our joy and hope? Do we even genuinely believe that God exists?

Photo from Christ Church

Unless there is a compelling change in our lifestyles that point to the glory of Christ, then there isn't much in our lives that validate our belief in Him. You see, believing in God and pursuing a relationship with Jesus Christ goes beyond just traditional lighting of candles and other religious gestures. How would you feel if you were in a relationship with somebody who expresses their love for you merely by repeating the same old gimmicks? When you're in a relationship with somebody. You talk to the person. You don't repeat the exact same lines over and over again. You engage in a meaningful conversation with that person and you take him or her into consideration when making decisions.

Right now, can you honestly say that God is in your life?

2.) If today were my last day alive, am I spending it in the best possible way?

You only live once. But is this fact a license to simply go wayward and chase all the triviality the world has to offer?
      Does this give me the right to invest in a life indifferent to Christian values? Do I behave in such a manner that leads to the existence of a sovereign God? Do I, at the very least, even try to be nice to people I do not like?

Photo from Quotes

Do I radiate the kind of love and compassion Jesus had? Do I harbor bitterness toward people who have wronged me? Do I choose to lift my battles up to the Lord in prayer? When no one is watching, am I still the person people think I am? But more importantly, am I the Christian I am God expects me to be, even when I am alone? Am I the best version of the son/daughter/mother/father/friend/workmate/classmate I could be to the people around me?

If I die today, will people remember me as someone who embodied biblical characteristics worthy to be followed?

3.) Is God pleased with my life choices?

The saying "my life, my choices" is very true but are our choices anchored on the will of God? Do we constantly seek what God wants for our lives? Do we act on impulse and rage and lust? Are we the responsible adults/teens we are expected to be?

Do I take into consideration the overall impact of how my every move will affect, not just me, but also my surroundings? Am I aware that every choice I make is accountable to God? If all my life decisions in life were written in print, would I be able to confidently say, "God this is what you wanted for my life and I can only give back all the glory to You for giving me the determination to say yes to you"?

Do I ask for the guidance of God when faced with the urgency to go against commitments I have made with my spouse/partner/lover? Do I regularly cheat on purpose because I know I can get away with it anyway?

These are questions we should ask all the time. Is God even a factor in the first place when in a crossroad?

Personally I don't believe in religion. What religion is good at is dividing people and telling you what you can and what you can't do. That's the entire point of religion anyway. To follow rules. A relationship, on the other hand, is something you get into because you feel that it is right. When you're passionately in love, you don't tell yourself "Oh, man, I have to cook for my wife/husband again," or "Ahak, kapoya'g hatod ani niya sa ilaha, oy," When you're in love, you do these things because you know these kinds of things will please your lover, and you know for a fact that when your lover is happy, you're happy too. I believe that kind of mindset should also be applied with Jesus. I am in no way trying to be religious right now. Because God knows I'm not. But when we treat our relationship with Christ as an obligation as opposed to a beautiful and lasting relationship, it will never work the way it's supposed to work.

You may ignore this now, and you might not even take God seriously, but please know that we will always be held accountable and that the choice is ours. What good will the most amazing, self-pleasing, fun-filled life bring you, if, in the end, your soul rots in hell anyway? (Mark 8:36)

Bjorn Tabanera
      Contributor
      You may like...
      Comments 1 Comment
        open253 -
        I'm seeing here a misconception of what religion is.

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top