Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which len/lenses

Beginner on DSLR here.
    I'll be getting the Nikon D7100 dslr.
    Mind is confused as to what lenses to have. The more you research on the net, the harder it gets to decide.
    Initially eyeing the Nikkor 18-300mm but seems not a good idea albeit very convenient lens.

Option AA -
    - Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 (low light photography)
    - Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC

Option BB - costlier option
    - Sigma 17-70mm f/2,8-4 OS
    - Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC
    ignore the 35mmm nikkor kay wala nay budget

Option CC - cheapest option
    - Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 (low light photography)
    - Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Distant future upgrade would be + Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DXII AF11-16mm f/2.8 or a Samyang 16mm f/2.0 (manual)

The interest here will be a mix of landscape, general photography and close-ups producing nice bokeh.

Any feedbacks from the masters is highy appreciated.

get the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 as your main all-around lens. as for a tele partner for that, im not much of a fan of super tele lenses so i can't recommend one as im not that familiar with them.

get the 35mm for portraits + tamron 17-50 2.8 as your all around lens (landscape, events), payts na kaayo na. mag sugod pa ka picture2x og mga dahon ana, mga buwak, iring, iro, bukid2x then mga chix na dayun imong picturan hehehe good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sevmik View Post
    get the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 as your main all-around lens. as for a tele partner for that, im not much of a fan of super tele lenses so i can't recommend one as im not that familiar with them.
    Thanks sevmik for the recommendation. Are you currently using this lens? Have you got no issues with its VC & AF?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    we now have one lens to rule them all for apsc - the sigma 50-100 1.8.
    Tks from the recommendation. However for a crop sensor camera D7100 the focal length would not be ideal for general use i.e 75mm-150mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
    get the 35mm for portraits + tamron 17-50 2.8 as your all around lens (landscape, events), payts na kaayo na. mag sugod pa ka picture2x og mga dahon ana, mga buwak, iring, iro, bukid2x then mga chix na dayun imong picturan hehehe good luck!
    Yup definitely i will be getting the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8.

Kaning imong suggestion nga picture2x nindot ni dah. Labi na kanang imong giingon nga dayun picturan

I actually have not fixed my choice of lens/es yet albeit i am now keen on getting the D7100 having its own focus motor would be of use in my choice of lens/es.
    Having said that, i may likely get prime lens/es instead of a super zoom lens.

Currently eyeing these set-up:
    aa/ Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX - general photography (52.5mm)
    bb/ Tokina AT-X PRO D M100 AF f/2.8 - tele, portrait & macro (150mm)
    cc/ Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-16mm f/2.8 (distant future upgrade pa ni siya after selling my kidney)

Unsa inyo ikasulti ani nga selection? All 3 have no VR/OS btw.

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    naka sayang lang sa cebu kay walay camera na stop na mo offer ug lens for rent. or we can stay there for an hour or so and try out the lenses that we are eyeing.
    Yup mas maayo gyud unta ingana para matest gyud nato personally as atong ganahan nga lens. Magdepende nalang gyud ta ani sa mga masters diri. Naa man noon mga reviews/test sa net. Maglibog nalang ta noon unsa atong pilion. Dxomark ako gibasehan sa akong mga choices nga hangtud karon wla pa koy final decision.

Not a pro here but just a casual hobbyist...

If I can only get one lens, the nikkor 18-200VR would be it. And a 35/1.8 for general low light use. The D7100 has good high iso capabilities so I think you would be happy with those lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by C'thulhu View Post
    Not a pro here but just a casual hobbyist...

If I can only get one lens, the nikkor 18-200VR would be it. And a 35/1.8 for general low light use. The D7100 has good high iso capabilities so I think you would be happy with those lenses.
    Those are 2 lenses already
    I think everyone is agreable that the nikkor 35/1.8DX is indeed a good lens.
    Earlier the 18-200VR / VR II also caught my interest.
    Checked the DxO test and the result compared with the sigma is almost identical in terms of IQ on D7100.
    Although not really justifiable as comparison, the 18-140VR is giving a better IQ (sharper image) accdg to DxO test. If ever i will have only 1 lens, kani siguro 18-140 akoa. Half the price of the 18-200VR II

Oh ya haha, my 8 year old 18-200 is still working fine, the body though went kaput already. Fine all around lens.

Quote Originally Posted by C'thulhu View Post
    Oh ya haha, my 8 year old 18-200 is still working fine, the body though went kaput already. Fine all around lens.
    Change the body not the lens
    I have to check where my old stuff are. I still have the Sigma 80-200 and Nikkor 43-86 zoom given to me by my dad. If was those old lenses (AI i think) and going manual by matching a needle that goes up and down. Even got a hand me down SLR Nikon FE. Have to check someday if those are still working.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast