Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Belief versus Knowledge

Belief versus Knowledge

It has been written that "In all the world there are only two kinds of peoplethose who know, and those who do not know; and this knowledge is the thing which matters." However sweeping this statement may appear it is little short of truth from the stand point of Religion in its real sense.

Knowledge has been defined as "A clear perception of a truth or fact, erudition; skill from practice." Also "to know, viz.; To perceive with certainty, to understand clearly, to have experience of."

On the other hand, Belief is an "Assent to anything proposed or declared, and its acceptance as fact by reason of the authority from whence it proceeds, apart from personal knowledge; faith; the whole body of tenets held by any faith; a creed; a conviction."

In regard to religion it will doubtless at once be evident that a great deal could be said on the subject of Belief, it being, one might almost say, the principle on which most, if not all, Religions are based. It will also be evident, though perhaps in a lesser degree, that all these various religious beliefs, held by masses of people in all lands, must have arisen in the beginning out of the Personal Experience of a few who had somehow obtained a direct perception or knowledge of certain facts in regard to "The Absolute", "God", or at any rate some Being or Beings of a distinctly higher order than themselves, and that these revelations were then given out by them to others, coloured to a certain extent by their own personality and limited by the horizon of their own intellectual sphere. To what extent these "revelations" or "inspirations" can be relied upon and whether it is better to accept them as taught or to rely upon our own experience, are matters I shall endeavor to treat of in this brief essay.

The first thing that strikes one in attempting to deal with the subject – at any rate in the writer's own experience – is how little we really know and how rapidly, if unchecked, our beliefs tend to accumulate.

The beliefs accepted in our early childhood undoubtedly have a strong influence upon our minds, especially in early life, but apart from these, as soon as we begin to look around us and attempt to think for ourselves, fresh beliefs rapidly creep in upon us. These gain strength and to some extent, often to a great extent, modify our ideas and even dominate our actions.

Those who have a natural aptitude and desire for religion soon begin to read books and possibly to attend lectures on the subject. Something that one has heard or read strikes us as being original and fascinating, it seems to us this new idea must be true, and almost unconsciously we find ourselves believing it.

If the matter were allowed to rest there until we found time and inclination to go over these new ideas, carefully comparing them and trying to unite their utmost divergences so as to make them conform more of less with our own experience and outlook on life; well and good. But if, as is very liable to be the case, these new theories are lightly discussed and then forgotten for a time, there seems to be a tendency upon the subject re-arising or again being presented to us at some later period, for these ideas to be awakened more or less suddenly and for us to think "Oh I know about that." While losing sight of the fact that it is not actual knowledge, but a bare belief that has lain dormant in our subconscious minds.

I think that anyone who has taken the trouble to examine his, or her, own mind in regard to their worldly knowledge on any matter, will agree that this knowledge is entirely based on experience, but when we turn our attention to religion we immediately feel either that actual knowledge is lacking.

asa ka? naa ky belief or naa ky knowledge? mahimo ba nga knowledge ang usa lng ka belief?

pwede both? hehe

Both..In fact the Bible is clear that you need to have both...

Blog Entries
    "Belief" to me is a much stronger sense of a word because it may or may not necessarily require knowledge; "Knowledge" in the other hand only becomes powerful if used in its most optimal sense. Ambot lang, mau rana akong pag sabot as of the moment :P

@Bro Jovs,

Di ba ang usa ka requirement sa BELIEF nga duna kay KNOWLEDGE?

@jovs

Knowledge of what, TRUTH or the OCCULT?

If truth imong gipangita, know the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 John 4
    6We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirita of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

John 18:37
    “Whoever belongs to the truth listens to me.” “And what is truth?” Pilate asked.

John 14:6
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth and the life......

Faith in the biblical sense is substantive, based on the knowledge that the One in whom that faith is placed has proven that He is worthy of that trust. In its essence, faith is a confidence in the person of Jesus Christ and in His power, so that even when His power does not serve my end, my confidence in Him remains because of who He is. - Ravi Zacharias

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    If belief is dependent with knowledge then belief would not be abstract after all,
    but if knowledge is dependent with belief then their should be a cause for research to
    seek for the truth.
    But is it rational to say that because of belief we do gather the necessary knowledge?
    I do believe that it is. Belief I think is the very foundation in how we gain knowledge.
    Like as they say before "I believe we could fly" and thus airplanes was born.

Quote Originally Posted by jovipeorliohacokijo View Post
    asa ka? naa ky belief or naa ky knowledge? mahimo ba nga knowledge ang usa lng ka belief?
    kung ako2x lng di gyud na mahimong knowledge, naka basa man ko mao nahimo siyang knowledge...murag manual ba

OT...Jovi kini naa na gyud kay thread ani wala na tay diri, wala lang personalay ha hehehe

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast