First killing of activist under Aquino condemned - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos
First killing of activist under Aquino condemned
By Nestor P. Burgos Jr., Abigail Kwok
INQUIRER.net, Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 08:55:00 07/05/2010
Filed Under: Crime and Law and Justice, Justice & Rights
ILOILO CITY, Philippines—(UPDATE 3) Two unidentified gunmen shot dead the provincial coordinator in Aklan of the party-list group Bayan Muna in front of his house in the capital town of Kalibo in Aklan early Monday.
Fernando Baldomero, also a town councilor of Lezo, Aklan, was the first activist killed under the Aquino administration, said Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) secretary general Renato Reyes Jr.
The killing came two days after Jose Daguio, a 75-year-old reporter and commentator of Radyo Natin and a columnist of a community newspaper, was shot dead in his home in Tabuk City Saturday night.
Baldomero was pronounced dead on arrival at the Aklan Provincial Hospital, shortly after he was shot at around 6:30 a.m. in front of his house in Barangay (village) Estancia in Kalibo, Chief Inspector Alden Lagradante, Kalibo police chief, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer in a telephone interview.
Lagradante said Baldomero sustained at least two gunshot wounds in the neck and head.
In a text message, Reyes said Fernando Baldomero was shot dead early Monday as the victim was getting ready to bring his child to school.
Bayan’s Reyes condemned the killing and called on President Benigno Aquino III to act swiftly on the killing of activists.
"We call on Mr. Aquino to condemn the killing and to use the full force of the law to arrest the perpetrators," Reyes said.
He added, "Mr. Aquino must send a clear message to state security forces that these killings have to end and perpetrators will be prosecuted. Heads must roll in the AFP, otherwise, the climate of impunity will continue."
Police, who have yet to establish the motive for the killing, have launched pursuit operations against the killers who fled on board a motorcycle.
Last March 19, unidentified men lobbed two grenades at the ancestral home of Baldomero in Lezo town, 6 kilometers west of Kalibo. No one was hurt but the house was damaged.
On the other hand, Daguio’s case was the first extra-judicial killing under the five-day-old Aquino administration. More than 100 journalists were killed in the country during the nine-year regime of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Last week, Aquino's newly appointed Justice Secretary Leila de Lima vowed to put an end to the extra-judicial killings that have been widely criticized by other governments and human rights groups.
Local rights group Karapatan has said over 900 activists who were critical of government, including students and labor leaders, have been killed in the past nine years.
The assassinations are normally carried out by gunmen on motorcycles.
In its annual report on human rights worldwide in March, the United States State Department cited such killings in the Philippines during the tenure of then-president Gloria Arroyo.
It mentioned "arbitrary, unlawful, and extrajudicial killings by elements of the security services and political killings, including killings of journalists, by a variety of actors."
In 2007, the UN's special rapporteur on extra-judicial killings, Philip Alston, and a Philippine government fact finding mission blamed the military for many of the extra-judicial killings. The military has consistently denied the accusations.