Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sony r1

Default sony r1

helo guys...

ask unta ko what can u say about this model... ive always wanted this since it came out coz i always had a preference for sony. ganahan ko og point and shoot na naay manual focus and zoom para ma control jd nko the depth of field sa pix. ok sad unta ang dslr pero i dont think i would buy other lenses man and i find it inconvenient na dli ka kita sa lcd unsa imo picturan. do you guys think it is a versatile camera that i could use for as a amateur photographer sideline (e.g weddings, studio photography, commerical photography). of course, dli jd pang serious big projects but kanang mga ginagmay lang on my free time?

tnx daan for your replies

Default Re: sony r1

bai aditti...

im using r1... so far so good... superb lens, though fixed...
    the flip-up-and-twist lcd monitor helps sometimes... especially when i want to shoot something from below... like from the ground...
    the image quality is quite good...

if you want to see some of my photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/86251769@N00/

yup its a good camera, it got the highly recommended mark in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/, here's a pro/con from that sight

Conclusion - Pros

* Superb 24 - 120 mm F2.8 - F4.8 lens is worth the $999 alone
    * Good resolution, a slight advantage over the EOS 350D (not as much as we would like)
    * Vivid, 'pleasing' color response, although may not be to everyone's taste
    * Low noise levels up to ISO 400, usable but NR affected ISO 800, noisy ISO 1600
    * Simple, easy to learn control system (hold button & turn dial, options displayed on screen)
    * Unique APS-C size sensor in a fixed lens digital camera
    * Magnified manual focus feature (no D-SLR can do this)
    * No mirror vibration issues, no dust issues, quiet shutter sound
    * Flash x-sync up to maximum shutter speed (1/2000 sec)
    * Clever 'Bulb' implementation, press once to start (timer shown), press to stop
    * Effective long exposure noise reduction, exposures of up to three minutes possible
    * Selectable color space (sRGB / Adobe RGB)
    * Fine tunable white balance
    * Very good build quality, comfortable (if slightly large) hand grip
    * Dual media format support (Memory Stick and Compact Flash)
    * Zebra pattern display (for highlights)
    * Indication of settings on EVF and LCD
    * Great, smooth, mechanical zoom
    * Good RAW converter included although can feel sluggish
    * Value for money, considering what you get

Conclusion - Cons

* In-camera image processor not making most of captured data (demosaicing, sharpening)
    * Odd LCD location either difficult to get used to or a serious limitation (user dependent)
    * Electronic Viewfinder is no substitute for an optical TTL viewfinder
    * Ridiculous maximum 3 frame buffer for continuous JPEG and no continuous RAW
    * Excessively large RAW files (20 MB, 9 sec write to CF)
    * Below average write speeds to Compact Flash
    * Limited range of image parameter adjustments
    * Limited camera customization
    * Virtually pointless AGCS contrast option
    * High noise at ISO 1600 and 3200 limits dynamic range
    * No control over in-camera high ISO noise reduction
    * Autofocus not as good as a D-SLR, especially in low light
    * Orange AF assist lamp doesn't always line up with subject
    * Maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 sec
    * Fixed lens means no way to create a more portable 'prime lens' shooter
    * Flash hot-shoe strange position (because of LCD location)
    * In-camera charging can be inconvenient, adapter / charger is bulky
    * Frankly huge accessory lenses (0.95 KG telephoto conversion lens), less flexible than D-SLR
    * No Kelvin WB
    * No orientation sensor

Quote Originally Posted by eelssej_
    bai aditti...

im using r1... so far so good... superb lens, though fixed...
    the flip-up-and-twist lcd monitor helps sometimes... especially when i want to shoot something from below... like from the ground...
    the image quality is quite good...

if you want to see some of my photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/86251769@N00/

heheh..was hoping ud drop in and give ur 2 cents re: sa r1 coz murag ikaw pman dinhi sa iistorya na ana na cam. very nice pix sa flicker.. i like the focused footprints on the sand.

btw, how many hours mu last iya batt? i mean sa full charge, how many mins ang tatak sa batt icon? and does it need special maintenance pa like cleaning2x and storage? ty

Quote Originally Posted by aditti
    heheh..was hoping ud drop in and give ur 2 cents re: sa r1 coz murag ikaw pman dinhi sa iistorya na ana na cam. very nice pix sa flicker.. i like the focused footprints on the sand.

btw, how many hours mu last iya batt? i mean sa full charge, how many mins ang tatak sa batt icon? and does it need special maintenance pa like cleaning2x and storage? ty
    battery... mga 500mins or 8 hours plus... so far, i dont have problems w/ its battery...
    special maintenance... hhmm... just the usual brush and lens tissue... and blower if you have...

thanks sa comments...

you mean sony dsc-r1?

[img width=500 height=375]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/655/sonyr1sv0.jpg[/img]

i can say this is a superb dslr-like camera. it can take photos comparable to a dslr. medyo mahal lang gyud hinu-on. mas mahal pa gud ni kay sa nikon d50 kit. nindot ni sya gamiton atong mga na pul-an na sa simple point and shoot camera pero dili pa sad kabalo sa dslr. ang ako lang di ganahan aning kameraha kay pwerting bug-ata

heres a sample pic i took using sony r1

[img width=500 height=326]http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/1952/scene7dy2.jpg[/img]

personally mahal ra bitaw gyud siya, for this price i'd get a dslr kit and get good lens..

wow! $1000 ++ man diay na nga camera!!! wahhh!!!

Still its a good camera, but if ako papili-on for a non SLR camera... Canon S3 IS (the best gyud ni!) hehehe.. PM me if gusto mo... heheh... less than 30k ra ni...

hmm... If ma pul-an ug point & shoot, why go for a "SLR-like" camera? the beauty of an SLR camera? Interchangeable lenses! so better yet, SLR na! hehehe... SLR-like is just, SLR-like.. and it costs much...

Quote Originally Posted by darkwing
    personally mahal ra bitaw gyud siya, for this price i'd get a dslr kit and get good lens..
    actually, you'd be a bit hard pressed to find a 10 megapixel dSLR with a comparable lens at the same price of an R1

that's one of the key selling points... a good range lens, though not interchangable, but is sharp enough to rival a quality lens
    that sells for $500 or so.

my first digital was the Sony DSC-F717... (at the time the cheapest dSLR was $2,000+; lens not included) and actually used it
    commercially for 2 years (that includes a couple of glossy magazine covers and billboards). I didn't have to worry about buying
    additional lenses as the 717 already had the range and quality to get the job done.

my main gripe would be the R1's lack of a good image buffer. 3 frames per second sounds great... but NOT if it's only for
    a max of three frames... then the camera locks up for a few more seconds to transfer the images to the card. it was a lot
    slower in the 717. probably the one main trade off would be that it teaches you to anticipate and wait for the best shot
    instead of continously firing off the trigger and hoping you got one good shot in there somewhere.

the 24 - 120 mm CARL ZEISS lens of this model will prolly cost another low-end DSLR body =)

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast