Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

religion is spirituality, yes. i don't know how religion became alienated with spirituality if you will. but that's besides the point. the point is that it would take so much effort from each one of us who frequent this board to even make the slightest improvement as far as RESPECT is concerned. why? because in essence there are only three groups of people in this board: the believer, the non-believer, and the doubtful. that being said, it would be a painful task to blend the three altogether. it just wouldn't happen. i've been lurking and posting and lurking and posting here and the word RESPECT just isn't in the dictionary. there are only a countless few who actually respect other members and i have to admit, there are times that i count myself out from that countless few.

Blog Entries
    can be religious and not SPIRITUAL
    That's be cause you have different definitions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by handsoff241 View Post
    That's be cause you have different definitions.
    When you love your religion, does that automatically mean you love spirituality?

Blog Entries
    That depends on how you and me define spirituality and religion. If I say no, you may or may not agree, because we walk on different paths. As I have said, because you have different definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by brownprose View Post
    Categorization has worked in the Sports and Recreation; Software and Games and Buy and Sell. Spirituality is a very diverse discussion if we really come to think of it. Not only there are thousands of religions out there (22,000 for Christianity alone), there are other metaphysical subjects as well as paranormal sightings that people are very interested to know and discuss. If we organize them intuitively, we lead istoryans to go directly to the page they want to read than to do searches everytime the topic is buried.

I have to agree that self-restraint is also a key. However, if we organize the topics properly we encourage and guide istoryans that there are venues for restrained and unrestrained discussions. Ang nahitabo karon kay almost all topics kay pwede ra paslakan og texto sa bibliya even if it was clear that the discussion requires a secular view of the subject so as to arrive a more reasonable and impartial discussion. Pero pwede ra kag tubagon "Ayaw lang pagbo-ot bro kay mao man ni akong gito-ohan."

There are academic subjects related to spirituality that beg our honest responses only to be ruined by others saying: "Lean not on your own understanding kay the Bible says so." Almost always mao ni ang tinubdan sa lalis nga maabot sa personalan. I'd like to give you an example kanang "Imagine" nga thread ni Nasyo (you check that out kung asa padung pirmi ang lalis). That topic could have been more fruitfully discussed if we categorize it under Philosophy (interfaith, ecumenism, etc). Or if we want to open a debate or criticism on the subject, we categorize it under Controversy. My point is to lead istoryans straight to their comfort zones - to subjects where they can talk among their fellow believers than open the subject to all. My two cents.
    I suppose you have a very valid point there.
    maybe i'm just too lazy to click into each subcategory and wait for the page to load. I rarely click on the next pages to dig up older topics even. i just reply to the most recent topics.. but that's just me..

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar
    I do not agree with brownprose's proposal. It is not going to happen. It will not happen just because people have this strange inability to put faith into a simple idea that goes along the lines of ... "just because I disagree, does not mean I have to be a jerk about it". I'm sure all holy texts and philosophies have that somewhere. This is not a religious forum and a boatload of space is not going to be set aside because people are jerks on the internet.

So I propose this change ...

Four subforums called "Believers", "Non-believers", "Those in between", and "Jerks". People will be segregated into those groups. You belong to one group and cannot post in the others. People who act like jerks, get moved to the Jerks forum.

This way, since people cannot be bothered to respect each other, they can all enjoy the company of like-minded people.

Let me give you an example of what a typical thread will look like:

Poster 1: Jesus is great!
    Poster 2: I agree!
    Poster 3: Me too!
    Poster 4: He really is!
    Poster 5: woot! woot!

Yes I know that looks boring, but it's really the only way to prevent conflict in this board because people do not understand how to respect each other.

But really ... why does everyone want to be treated like children? If I moderated this board, it'd be a boring boring lifeless place.

Blog Entries
    ^lol vern trolled.

The conflict keeps the boat floating and alive. If this section get's segregated too much, we'd be left to pat each others back freely,that would be gay and boring.

Again this is a call for us all, SnO folks to respect each other and bring back the constructive criticism and lively, friendly conversations we used to have.

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar
    That wasn't a troll. That was a dead serious comment that asks the question ... why would we use an idea that wouldn't encourage discussion? The keyword here is respect and if people continue to disrespect each other, then I and other mods will come by this board with hoods all whispering ... I am become death, destroyer of worlds.

Come back with a more reasonable idea to help this forum and we will CONSIDER it.

Blog Entries
    As I said before, I do not completely agree with brown's suggestion, due to the fact that his suggestion will leave behind a trail of uninhabited subcategories and eventually kill the discussions and of course, I know you and the other mods will not consider doing such a big job just for this matter.

My suggestion, 2-3 sub categories for this section; religious and occultism or religious, occultism and philosophy. About philosophy; that would be a great place for the non-believers and believers to hang-out with out the religion-related conflict, though it's not that much related to spirituality, but it is an immediate tool that is equipped by both believers and non believers, so I bet it would be a nice sub-section to have, just philosophy.

But then again, everything will always rest on us, the forum members, to cultivate respect towards each other.

Quote Originally Posted by handsoff241 View Post
    As I said before, I do not completely agree with brown's suggestion, due to the fact that his suggestion will leave behind a trail of uninhabited subcategories and eventually kill the discussions and of course, I know you and the other mods will not consider doing such a big job just for this matter.

My suggestion, 2-3 sub categories for this section; religious and occultism or religious, occultism and philosophy. About philosophy; that would be a great place for the non-believers and believers to hang-out with out the religion-related conflict, though it's not that much related to spirituality, but it is an immediate tool that is equipped by both believers and non believers, so I bet it would be a nice sub-section to have, just philosophy.

But then again, everything will always rest on us, the forum members, to cultivate respect towards each other.

Way to go dong hands, i can see your starting to walk your talk, just remember dong it will always start from us

11.    Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast