Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast

Default Re: Daily Scripture Reading (from the Catholic Bible)

Wednesday (8/23): "Do you begrudge my generosity?"
    Scripture: Matthew 20:1-16

1 "For the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the market place; 4 and to them he said, `You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you.' So they went. 5 Going out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did the same. 6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing; and he said to them, `Why do you stand here idle all day?' 7 They said to him, `Because no one has hired us.' He said to them, `You go into the vineyard too.' 8 And when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his steward, `Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first.' 9 And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius. 10 Now when the first came, they thought they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. 11 And on receiving it they grumbled at the householder, 12 saying, `These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.' 13 But he replied to one of them, `Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what belongs to you, and go; I choose to give to this last as I give to you. 15 Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?' 16 So the last will be first, and the first last."

Meditation: What can work and wages, wefare and the unemployed tell us about the kingdom of God? In the parable of the laborers in the vineyard we see the extraordinary generosity and compassion of God. There is great tragedy in unemployment. In Jesus' times hired laborers had to wait each day in the marketplace until someone hired them for a day's job. No work that day usually meant no food on the family table. The laborers who worked all day and received their payment complain that the master pays the late afternoon laborers the same wage. The master, undoubtably, hired them in the late afternoon so they wouldn't go home payless and hungry. God is generous in opening the doors of his kingdom to all who will enter, both those who have labored a life-time for him and those who come at the last hour. While the reward is the same, the motive for one's labor can make all the difference. Some work only for reward. They will only put as much effort in as they think they will get out. Others labor out of love and joy for the opportunity to work. The Lord calls his disciples to serve God and neighbor with generosity and joy. Do you perform your work and duties with cheerfulness for the Lord's sake? And do you give generously to others, especially to those in need?

"Lord, may I serve you and my neighbor with a glad and generous heart, not looking for how much I can get but rather looking for how much I can give."

Psalm 23:1-6

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want;
    2 he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters;
    3 he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows.
    6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Contrition and Attrition: The difference

Many people forego repentance until their old age. They say: “I will repent when I am at the threshold of eternity.” And so when they are in their gray head days they ‘repent’.

But what is repentance? Repentance is actually a change of attitude towards sin, God, self and Christ.

He changes his attitude about sin. Sin is to be abhorred. He changes his attitude towards God. God is to be reverred and honored. He changes his attitude towards himself. I cannot save myself. I am a sinner in need of salvation. He changes his attitude towards Christ. Christ is the Savior. I mut turn to Him alone for salvation and forgiveness of sins.

The repentant says: “This is wrong against God. I have sinned against the moral Governor of the Universe. I am in this hopeless and helpless state of sinning. I don’t deserve heaven. I will turn to Christ.”

Repentance at its earlier stage starts out with attrition.

What is attrition? It is changing ones ways for fear of the punishment. But it does not stop here. For repentance to be true and genuine, it [attrition] must mature into contrition. Sadly, many just stop at attrition, never moving forward into contrition.

What is contrition? It is when the sinner realizes that sin is sin and that it grieves the heart of God. God who is sooo good and gracious and loving worthy of all my all. Why should we sin against Him? And so the contrite sinner turns away from sin because it is a sin against God nothing more, nothing less. Not because of the threat of hell or the promise of bliss in heaven. Even without hell the contrite sinner turns away from sin. Even without heaven the contrite sinner turns away from sin. He is focused on what this blessed and Holy person delights.

What would you do of a woman wanting only to marry you because you are rich? She only wants to escape poverty that’s why she wants to marry you. I’m sure you’d dispense of that woman right? You want someone to marry you because of you. It’s the same way with God. God is a person. He is touched and moved when a sinner turns away from sin with the motive that he [the sinner] does not want to grieve Him. He stops his sinning because he wants to honor God for who He is. This is true repentance.

Contrition is the work of God in a sinner. The human heart cannot just be contrite by its own. It is desperately wicked and it cannot change. Only God’s grace can break a rebellious heart.

Repentance is not the payment for sins. WE must not rely on it for salvation. However, it is the condition to salvation. The payment for sins is in Mt. Calvary. You must go there for salvation. In order for you to reach there, you must leave sin. In order for you to accept the gift of salvation, you must lay down your arms. Surrender those weapons of rebellion. Your hands cannot receive the gift of salvation if it is full of rebellion.

Come to Christ because of your sins. not because your afraid of hell.

[Note: The heart is sooo deceitful. Sometimes because of fear of impending death a person displays seeming ‘repentance’ from sin. He really feels that he has ‘repented’, and ‘accepts’ Christ. Only to find out on the other side that he was never saved at all. Yes, deathbed repentance is possible so long as it is true repentance. But in order for you to be sure that you have really repented, why not repent now when you are healthy and strong. So when imminent death comes and you are lying in your bed you won’t be bothered by the thoughts: “Are you really repentant? Really? What if it’s only attrition? How will you know?” .........But if you have repented as early as now when you are healthy, then you will be assured that your repentance is true and is not only a product of attrition for you have repented from your sins even when the threat of death was remote].

Thank God I have found this thread... :mrgreen:

Thursday (8/24): "Come and see"
    Scripture: John 1:45-51 (alternate passage and meditation on Matthew 22:1-14)

45 Philip found Nathan'a-el, and said to him, "We have found him of whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." 46 Nathan'a-el said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." 47 Jesus saw Nathan'a-el coming to him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!" 48 Nathan'a-el said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." 49 Nathan'a-el answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" 50 Jesus answered him, "Because I said to you, I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You shall see greater things than these." 51 And he said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man."

Meditation: How can we know with certainty that Jesus is truly who he claims to be -- the Son of God and Savior of the world? Philip was eager to tell his friend Nathaniel (who is also known as Bartholomew) about his decision to be a disciple of Jesus. Philip tried to convince his friend that Jesus was the Messiah, whom Moses and the prophets had foretold. Nathanial was very skeptical because he didn't think it was possible for the Messiah to come from Nazareth, a town in Galilee. Nathaniel not only disliked the town of Nazareth, he despised its residents as unworthy of religious toleration. "How could anything good come from such a place?" Nazareth was at the crossroads of the ancient world where people from different cultures and religions would pass through. Perhaps Nathaniel thought its religious teachers were not orthodox in their understanding and interpretation of the law of Moses. Besides, how could the Messiah come from Galilee when the prophets said he would come from Bethlehem of Judaea? Aren't we all a bit like Nathaniel? We are skeptical when someone tries to convince us of the truth until they can offer irrefutable proof.

So what kind of proof did Philip offer to Nathaniel? Rather than argue with his friend, Philip took the wiser strategy of inviting Nathaniel to "come and see" for himself who this Jesus claimed to be. Clever arguments rarely win people to the gospel; but an encounter with the person of Jesus Christ can change one's life forever. When people can hear the word of Christ and see his love in action, their hearts can be transformed and their minds opened to God's revelation. When Philip brought Nathaniel to Jesus, Jesus did the unthinkable! He revealed to Nathaniel the deepest thoughts of his heart and his longing to know God personally. Nathaniel was very hungry for God. He really wanted to understand God's word and to know God personally. God places in every heart a longing and a desire to know the One who created us in love for love. That is why Augustine of Hippo, who found God only after many years of wandering in disbelief and darkness, exclaimed: “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You.”

What is the significance of Jesus' revelation of seeing Nathanial under the fig tree? The fig tree was a symbol of God's blessing and peace. It provided shade from the midday sun and a cool place to retreat and pray. It is very likely that Nathanial had meditated "under the fig tree" on the Messianic prophecies and prayed for their fulfillment in his time. Perhaps he dozed off for a midday nap and dreamed of God's kindgom like Jacob did when he saw a vision of the ladder which united earth with heaven (Genesis 28:12). Nathaniel accepted Jesus as Messiah and Lord because Jesus spoke to the need of his innermost being -- the desire to know God personally and to be united with him in his glory. Jesus' response to Nathanial's new faith is the promise that he himself will be the "ladder which unites earth with heaven" (see Genesis 28:12-17). God had opened a door for Jacob that brought him and his people into a new relationship with the living God. In Jacob's dream God revealed his angelic host and showed him the throne of heaven and promised Jacob that he and descendants would dwell with the living God.

Jesus proclaims to Nathanial that he himself is the fulfillment of this promise to the Patriarch Jacob. Jesus is the true ladder or stairway to heaven. In Jesus' incarnation, the divine Son of God taking on human flesh for our sake, we see the union of heaven and earth -- God making his dwelling with us and bringing us into the heavenly reality of his kingdom. Jesus' death on the Cross and his Resurrection opens the way for each of us to come into a new relationship with God as his sons and daughters. The Lord Jesus opens the way for each of us to "ascend to heaven" and to bring "heaven to earth" in the daily circumstances of our lives. God's kingdom is present in those who seek him and who do his will. Do you pray as Jesus taught, May your kingdom come and your will be done in earth as it is in heaven?

"Heavenly Father, through your Son Jesus Christ, you have opened the way to heaven for us. As you revealed yourself to your beloved Patriarchs and Apostles, so reveal yourself to me that I may glorify you in my daily life. May I always find joy in your presence and never lose sight of the kingdom of heaven."

Psalm 145:10-13,17-18

10 All thy works shall give thanks to thee, O LORD, and all thy saints shall bless thee!
    11 They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom, and tell of thy power,
    12 to make known to the sons of men thy mighty deeds, and the glorious splendor of thy kingdom.
    13 Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endures throughout all generations. The LORD is faithful in all his words, and gracious in all his deeds.
    17 The LORD is just in all his ways, and kind in all his doings.
    18 The LORD is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth.

Friday (8/25): "You shall love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself"
    Scripture: Matthew 22:34-40

34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they came together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him. 36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?" 37 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment.39 And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

Meditation: What is the purpose of God's law or commandments? The Pharisees prided themselves in the knowledge of the law and their ritual requirements. They made it a life-time practice to study the 613 precepts of the Old Testament along with the numerous rabbinic commentaries. They tested Jesus to see if he correctly understood the law as they did. Jesus startled them with his profound simplicity and mastery of the law of God and its purpose. What does God require of us? Simply that we love as he loves! God is love and everything he does flows from his love for us. God loved us first and our love for him is a response to his exceeding grace and kindness towards us. The love of God comes first and the love of neighbor is firmly grounded in the love of God. The more we know of God's love and truth the more we love what he loves and reject what is hateful and contrary to his will.

What makes our love for God and his commands grow in us? Faith in God and hope in his promises strengthens us in the love of God. They are essential for a good relationship with God, for being united with him. The more we know of God the more we love him and the more we love him the greater we believe and hope in his promises. The Lord, through the gift of the Holy Spirit, gives us a new freedom to love as he loves. Do you allow anything to keep you from the love of God and the joy of serving others with a generous heart? Paul the Apostle says: hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us (Romans 5:5). Do you know the love which conquers all?

"Lord, your love surpasses all. Flood my heart with your love and increase my faith and hope in your promises. Help me to give myself in generous service to others as you have so generously given yourself to me."

Psalm 107:1-9

1 O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures for ever!
    2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble
    3 and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.
    4 Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in;
    5 hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them.
    6 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress;
    7 he led them by a straight way, till they reached a city to dwell in.
    8 Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to the sons of men!
    9 For he satisfies him who is thirsty, and the hungry he fills with good things.

Saturday (8/26): "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted"
    Scripture: Matthew 23:1-12

1 Then said Jesus to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; 3 so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice. 4 They bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger. 5 They do all their deeds to be seen by men; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, 6 and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues, 7 and salutations in the market places, and being called rabbi by men. 8 But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren. 9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ. 11 He who is greatest among you shall be your servant; 12 whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Meditation: Does your practice match your talk? Jesus scolds the scribes and Pharisees for their showy practices. In a way they wanted to be good models of observant Jews. See how well we observe all the ritual rules and regulations of our religion! In their misguided zeal for religion they sought respect and honor for themselves rather than for God and for his word. They wanted the people to treat them as great teachers and rulers. They, unfortunately, made the practice of their faith a burden rather than a joy for the people they were supposed to serve.

Was Jesus against calling anyone "rabbi" or "father"? Or was he just directing this sharp rebuke to the scribes and Pharisees? Jesus seemed to be warning both his disciples and the religious leaders about the temptation to seek titles and honors to increase one's reputation and admiration by others. The scriptures give ample warning about the danger of self-seeking pride: "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbes 16:1 "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6; Proverbs 3:24)

Respect for God and his ways inclines us to Godly humility and simplicity of heart. The word disciple means one who listens in order to learn. Jesus shows us the way to the Father -- the way of peace, joy, righteousness, holiness, and true happiness. He showed us the way by lowering himself as a servant for our sake. He humbled himself, even to death on a cross, that we might be raised up and exalted at the Father's right hand in heaven (Phil. 2:1-11). What is true Christ-like humility? Humility is true self-knowledge -- regarding oneself as God see each of us. The humble do not trust in themselves, but trust in God and in the power of his love and saving grace. True humility is a servant-like quality which enables one to place his or her life at the service of God and others. Do you know the joy of Christ-like humility and simplicity of heart?

"Lord, teach me your way of servanthood and humility that I may walk in love as you have loved. Fill me with the joy of servanthood that I may inspire others to walk in your way of happiness and holiness."

Psalm 128

1 Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, who walks in his ways!
    2 You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.
    3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.
    4 Lo, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the LORD.
    5 The LORD bless you from Zion! May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life!
    6 May you see your children's children! Peace be upon Israel!

Monday (8/29): "Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man"
    Scripture: Mark 6:17-29 (alternate reading: Matthew 23:23-26)

17 For Herod had sent and seized John, and bound him in prison for the sake of Hero'di-as, his brother Philip's wife; because he had married her. 18 For John said to Herod, "It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife." 19 And Hero'di-as had a grudge against him, and wanted to kill him. But she could not, 20 for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and kept him safe. When he heard him, he was much perplexed; and yet he heard him gladly. 21 But an opportunity came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his courtiers and officers and the leading men of Galilee. 22 For when Hero'di-as' daughter came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, "Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will grant it." 23 And he vowed to her, "Whatever you ask me, I will give you, even half of my kingdom." 24 And she went out, and said to her mother, "What shall I ask?" And she said, "The head of John the baptizer." 25 And she came in immediately with haste to the king, and asked, saying, "I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter." 26 And the king was exceedingly sorry; but because of his oaths and his guests he did not want to break his word to her. 27 And immediately the king sent a soldier of the guard and gave orders to bring his head. He went and beheaded him in the prison, 28 and brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl; and the girl gave it to her mother. 29 When his disciples heard of it, they came and took his body, and laid it in a tomb.

Meditation: Are you prepared to be a witness, and if necessary, a martyr for Jesus Christ? John the Baptist bridged the Old and New Testaments. He is the last of the Old Testament prophets who pointed the way to the Messiah. He is the first of the New Testament witnesses and martyrs. Jesus equated the coming of his kingdom with violence. From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and men of violence take it by force (Matthew 11:12). John suffered violence for announcing that the kingdom of God was near. He was thrown into prison and then beheaded. Why did Herod put John to death when he knew him to be a righteous and holy man? Herod was a weak ruler. He could take a strong stand on the wrong things when he knew the right. Such a stand, however, was a sign of weakness and cowardice. Unfortunately for Herod, he could not rid himself of sin by ridding himself of the man who confronted him with his sin.

Since John's martyrdom to the present times the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence and persecution at the hands of violent people. The blood of the martyrs throughout the ages bear witness to this fact. Their testimony and death prove victory rather than defeat for the kingdom of God. Through Christ's victory on the cross they obtain the glorious crown of victory and everlasting life with Jesus Christ. What gives us the power, boldness, and courage to witness to Jesus Christ and to the truth of the gospel? The Holy Spirit gives us grace and boldness to make Jesus Christ known and loved. We do not need to fear those who oppose us and the gospel, because the love of Jesus Christ is stronger than fear and death itself. His love conquers all, even our fears and timidity in the face of opposition. We can trust in his grace and help. Are you ready to witness to Jesus Christ and to suffer violence if necessary for his sake?

"Lord Jesus Christ, give me faith, boldness, and courage to stand firm in the truth of the gospel and to not waver in my testimony of the faith. Give me hope and joy in the promise of everlasting life with you in your kingdom."

Psalm 71:1-6,15,17

1 In thee, O LORD, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame!
    2 In thy righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline thy ear to me, and save me!
    3 Be thou to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for thou art my rock and my fortress.
    4 Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel man.
    5 For thou, O Lord, art my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth.
    6 Upon thee I have leaned from my birth; thou art he who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of thee.
    15 My mouth will tell of thy righteous acts, of thy deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge.
    16 With the mighty deeds of the Lord GOD I will come, I will praise thy righteousness, thine alone.
    17 O God, from my youth thou hast taught me, and I still proclaim thy wondrous deeds.

Wednesday (8/30): "You outwardly appear righteous, but within are full of hypocrisy and iniquity"
    Scripture: Matthew 23:27-32

27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like white washed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. 28 So you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but within you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. 29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 saying, `If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.' 31 Thus you witness against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers.
    Meditation: What is true goodness and how can you distinguish it from its counterfeits? Isaiah prophesied that the Messiah would not judge by what his eyes see, or decide by what his ears hear; but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth (Isaiah 11:3-4). Jesus used strong language to warn the religious leaders about the vanity of appearance and pretense. In Palestine tombs were often placed by the sides of roads. They were painted white which made them glisten in the midday sun, especially around the time of the great feasts, so that people would not accidently touch them and incur ritual impurity. Jesus warns that what truly corrupts the soul is not ritual impurity but the impurity of sinful attitudes, such as pride, greed, sloth, envy, hatred, lust, and gluttony. The scribes and Pharisees were intensely religious in their outward observances, but their outward show didn't match the inner reality of the state of their hearts. They not only neglected the poor and the weak, but they were intolerant towards anyone who challenged their idea of religion. That is why so many of the prophets were persecuted in the past.
    Jesus chastised the religious leaders for being double-minded and for demanding from others standards which they refused to satisfy. They professed admiration for the prophets by building their tombs while at the same time they opposed their message and closed their ears to the word of God. They shut themselves to heaven and they hindered others from understanding God's word. They rejected the Messiah because their hearts were hardened to the voice of God. Only the humble of heart can receive from God true wisdom and understanding, and pardon and healing. The Holy Spirit is ever ready to renew our minds and hearts and to fill us with the peace, joy, and righteousness of God's kingdom. Do you treasure God's word and submit to it with faith and obedience?

"Lord, incline my heart to your wisdom and teach me your ways. Fill me with your Spirit that I may love your ways and obey your word without reservation."

Psalm 128:1-2,4-5

1 Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, who walks in his ways!
    2 You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.
    4 Lo, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the LORD.
    5 The LORD bless you from Zion! May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life!

Thursday (8/31): "If you knew in what part of the night the thief was coming, you would have watched!”
    Scripture: Matthew 24:42-51

42 Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the householder had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have watched and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect. 45 "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Blessed is that servant whom his master when he comes will find so doing. 47 Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. 48 But if that wicked servant says to himself, `My master is delayed,' 49 and begins to beat his fellow servants, and eats and drinks with the drunken, 50 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, 51 and will punish him, and put him with the hypocrites; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.
    Meditation: What can a thief in the night teach us about the kingdom of God? Lack of vigilance invites disaster! What thief would send a message to announce his impending crime? God offers us the greatest treasure possible -- his kingdom of righteousness, peace, and joy. It’s possible to lose this great treasure if we do not keep vigilant watch. What do we watch for? The Lord and the coming of his kingdom for certain! We pray daily May your kingdom come and your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. The Lord is at work to renew his people and to equip us for spiritual battle and for the spread of the gospel. Are you ready for his action and grace in your life?
    We also watch for the enemy who seeks to rob us of our treasure. If Satan can’t induce us to give up on our faith in God and on our hope in heaven, he tries to make us spiritually dull and indifferent to the word of God and he tempts us to procrastinate. His ruse is to tell Christians that there is no hurry! His strategy is to make us think that there is plenty of time to get right with God and do his will. Jesus gives us sufficient grace for today and he gives us time to turn to him, but that time is right now! We cannot guarantee that tomorrow will come. Do you watch for the Lord and listen to his word with joyful anticipation?

“Lord, you have captured my heart for you. Make it strong in faith, steadfast in hope, and generous in love that I may seek to please you in all things and bring you glory. Keep me ever watchful for the coming of your kingdom.”

Psalm 145:2-7

2 Every day I will bless thee, and praise thy name for ever and ever.
    3 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable.
    4 One generation shall laud thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts.
    5 On the glorious splendor of thy majesty, and on thy wondrous works, I will meditate.
    6 Men shall proclaim the might of thy terrible acts, and I will declare thy greatness.
    7 They shall pour forth the fame of thy abundant goodness, and shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

Friday (9/1): The foolish will miss heaven’s wedding feast
    Scripture: Matthew 25:1-13

1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be compared to ten maidens who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them; 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a cry, `Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' 7 Then all those maidens rose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, `Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' 9 But the wise replied, `Perhaps there will not be enough for us and for you; go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.' 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast; and the door was shut. 11 Afterward the other maidens came also, saying, `Lord, lord, open to us.' 12 But he replied, `Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.' 13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Meditation: Are you missing out on what's most important in life? Being unprepared can lead to a lot of unnecessary trouble and even disastrous consequences! What good is a life-jacket left on shore when the boat is sinking? Jesus’ story of ten silly girls seems strange to westerners today. But his audience knew all too well how easily this could happen to them. Wedding customs in ancient Palestine required extra vigilance and preparation for everyone involved. (Some near eastern villages still follow this custom.) The bride and groom did not go away for their honeymoon, but celebrated for a whole week with their family and friends. It was the custom for the groom to come at his discretion and get his bride and bring her to the wedding party. If he came at night lamps were required by necessity. To show up for a night party without a wedding garment and a lamp is like showing up for a play or movie that requires a reservation and a ticket. You just don’t get in without the proper pass. Can you imagine the frustration one experiences in traveling abroad and finding out you can’t get into some country because you don’t have a valid passport or visa.

Jesus warns us that there are consequences for being unprepared. There are certain things you cannot obtain at the last moment. For example, a student cannot prepare for his exam when the day of testing is upon him. A person cannot get the right kind of character or skill required for a task at hand unless he already possesses it. Our eternal welfare depends on our hearing, and many have trained themselves to not hear. We will not be prepared to meet the Lord, face to face, when he calls us on the day of judgment, unless we listen to him today. The Lord invites us to feast at his banquet table. Are you ready?

“Lord, make me vigilant and attentive to your voice that I may heed your call at all times. May I find joy in your presence and delight in doing your will.”

Psalm 33:1-5,10-11

1 Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous! Praise befits the upright.
    2 Praise the LORD with the lyre, make melody to him with the harp of ten strings!
    3 Sing to him a new song, play skilfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
    4 For the word of the LORD is upright; and all his work is done in faithfulness.
    5 He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the LORD.
    10 The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nought; he frustrates the plans of the peoples.
    11 The counsel of the LORD stands for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.

11.    Advertisement

Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast