• What do you think of when you hear the word MOTHER?

Motherhood is a great honor and privilege, yet it is also synonymous with servanthood. Every day women are called upon to selflessly meet the needs of their families. Whether they are awake at night nursing a baby, spending their time and money on less-than-grateful teenagers, or preparing meals, moms continuously put others before themselves. (Charles Stanley)

What do you think of when you hear the word MOTHER?

I see a woman of strength, of power, of courage and of love. I see a woman who devotes her time to her family more than herself. I see a woman who puts her family's needs first before her own.

The author with family during her Mom's 2015 vacation

Fifteen years ago, my mother went abroad to work. It was a tough decision for her leaving behind her two teenage daughters and a son growing up in his elementary years. It was hard for her to leave us but our future would be uncertain should she decided to stay. My sister and I were already in college then. It was hard for us as well. I personally never wanted her to go. For me, a family should stay together no matter what. Time passed and eventually I understood that leaving the country to work was for our own future. If not for her going abroad, we would not have finished our education. We would not have graduated in a reputable school and worked in reputable companies. We would not have learned the value of money and how important it is to finish school to land a good job. We would not have learned that even in distance a mother’s love is endless.

Many Filipino families go through the same situation we had. Mothers becoming OFWs in another country for the sake of her family’s future. My mom’s journey abroad was never easy. She experienced the hardship of being alone in a strange land, of being miles away from her family for the first time and of sacrificing her own needs to provide for ours. It is a sacrifice only a mother would do. I never really understood such until I became a mother myself. I understood now that family need not be physically together. Although you are far away from each other, you will always be connected by a bridge of love. Even in distance, my mom always show us how much she loves us and cares for us. She has supported us all the way, not just financially but emotionally and spiritually. To us children whose moms are physically away from us to work abroad, do not be lonely or scared or angry. Be grateful for the sacrifice they made for us. They leave not because they don’t love you but because they love you so much they are willing to put their needs behind yours.

Mother’s day is just around the corner. It is time to give something back to them. How will you show your love to your mom? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Maria Celeste "Tiwtiw" Abellana
      iSTORYA League of Writers

*Tiwtiw is a content writer. blogger. social media addict. learning social media marketing. Loves music and coffee. A work-from-home mom. Single parent to an awesome boy who is growing up too fast.
      You may like...

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top