• A Fat Kid's Summer Wish

Two years ago was a turning point in my life when my health was on the line. I drastically changed my lifestyle and eating habits for fear of what will happen to me if I didn’t do something. Gone are the days that I would eat just about anything, do nothing with my body to get myself in shape and whilst away succumbing to my own emotional fatigue.

“How in the world would I shake off the 200-pound flab in my body being that I am so used to a sedentary lifestyle?” That was what I thought when I started out.

However the memory of me undergoing endoscopy in that cold operating room haunted me so I went on with my battle against the bulge. At first, I had mood swings because of my diet. What added my turmoil was the usual scenario -- my family and friends would joke around that I’m only good for the first couple of months then I’ll go back to my old ways again.

So it was a lot of pressure to lose weight months back.

WORK IT

Last September 2013, I enrolled myself in a weight loss program in one of the gyms in the city. I cut down on my sweets, rice and soda intake then religiously following my veggie-fruit-fish diet with a balance of water and fresh fruit juices. I go to the gym 4 times tops or if I’m not busy, I work out everyday and do my cardio on treadmill or elliptical machine then 1-hour weight training with my Personal Trainer. I capped my workout regimen with an hour of Zumba (a mix of Latin, Hiphop and Pop Jazz dances).

First few months were frustrating since I still felt so heavy as if there’s no progress at all.

I was so bummed out but my trainer explained to me that my body is still adjusting to my new lifestyle and diet and I need to be MORE PATIENT and not expect an overnight result.

LOSING IT GRADUALLY

So I went on with my program and totally forgot about the numbers and never cared weighing in. Then I started to notice the weight loss and my clothes became loose on me, I was so thrilled and I became more serious with my program and diet.

From size 21, I narrowed to size 11! I went back to wearing my clothes which I wore back in college and that was even ages ago! Then people started to notice it, too. It sure feels great to be getting a lot of praises from them and the words of encouragement to do more gave me an ultimate high of happiness. Slowly I started to appreciate myself and gained back the confidence that I once lost. I was no longer scared what other people may think when they see me all dressed up and I was no longer shy being infront of the mirror.

FRUSTRATION OVER THE YEARS

Years ago, I used to hate summer and withdrew myself from outdoor activities.

I even shied away from beach outings because I can’t wear a decent swimwear but always the reliable shirt and shorts. Then worse, I hated myself looking at pictures that would show how huge I was and end up with sighs of resignation thinking I’ll never be able to wear a bikini.

THREAD OF HOPE

Then January 2014 came, my trainer told me that if I continue to work out and stick to my diet, I’ll finally achieve my goal for summer. I got so excited and exerted more. February rolled by, I started running and mountain trekking with a group of runners in the forum, the Dagan Caritas. Going with them on their usual road/mountain adventures surely helped with my weight loss.

However, the biggest challenge started in March when I went back to work, I had to cut short with my workout and sometimes miss my gym time then my diet changed. I had to adapt to my new environment. After a couple of months I noticed that my weight loss became minimal but my body is still the same, I’m still losing inches which is a good thing.

SUMMER BUCKET LIST

However last summer 2014, I still didn’t have the bikini bod that I hoped for but being able to wear a tankini without a T-shirt on to cover the bulge and swimming in a rash guard out in the sun is a HUGE achievement for me after months of trying to lose weight.

Never thought that I would start loving summer and be excited to go out and have fun under the sun. Finally, I have come out of my shell and it sure feels so great!

I still hope this year or the first quarter of 2016, I can already wear a bikini with no fear or inhibitions. You may perceive it as vanity but being a fat kid all my life, it is my ultimate dream that I’m willing to make it happen months from now.

And that’s another bucket list I’m excited to conquer

Beyee
      iSTORYA League of Writers
      You may like...
      Comments 2 Comments
        crush_23 -
        greats job!!
        beyee -
        Thanks Crushers

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top