Bright, solid, deep and evenly colored red
    Uniform hue of red within the koi
    Sharp edges of the patterns

PATTERN
    Visually balanced
    Should cover 50 – 70% of the body
    Tail stop – white marking near the tail
    Head pattern
    - U-shape, must extend slightly beyond the eyes but should not reach the nose or the lips, leaving a white area in front of the head
    - Round patch on the head

FINS
    - Snow white without traces of hi

FAULTS
    Small black freckles (shimi)
    Yellowish tint on the white (shiro) base
    Red spots
    no wonder you have very nice kois maam faithfulnina. i saw your collection in bisdakkoi forum. very nice.

These are all true when looking at Kohakus:

1. Check the body. The thickest part of the body should always be the shoulders, not the tummy.
    2. Check the head. It's size should always be proportionate to it's body.
    3. Kohakus should always have a tailstop. This means that no hi should be before the tail.
    4. Windows in the hi plates or white pigmentations inside a hi plate are considered faults.
    5. There should be no hi on the fins.
    6. Hi of Kokahus are best when they're dark orange to bright red. Water condition affects greatly on hue. The algae Spirulina mixed with wheat germ enhances color as well as improves the health of the fish. Spirulina has been found to have a high content of the carotenoid colour pigment, which is very effective on the colour of Nishikigoi.
    7. The whiteness of the skin of a Kohaku is as important as its hi. So make sure you take a look at this too.
    8. Patterns are actually just bonuses and should be looked at last.

FYI:
    One should not take into consideration the thinness of a newly shipped Koi. Do remember that they were quarantined and were not fed for 3 weeks before arrival. But even so, always check for good body conformation.

Please feel free to add to this list!

Some of these are true to all kois, not just Kohax.

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi View Post
    no wonder you have very nice kois maam faithfulnina. i saw your collection in bisdakkoi forum. very nice.
    Thank you, KoiBoi! I don't know if that's a good or bad thing cos my hubby, who started this, and I, are very OC when it comes to standards. It takes a lot to impress him na. So ang resulta, ang tagal bago kami makapili ng koi.

Quote Originally Posted by faithfulnina View Post
    Thank you, KoiBoi! I don't know if that's a good or bad thing cos my hubby, who started this, and I, are very OC when it comes to standards. It takes a lot to impress him na. So ang resulta, ang tagal bago kami makapili ng koi.
    hehe. but a wait is very worth it. nindot jud mog mga kois maam.

naa lang ko ika add sa imong tips on selecting kois maam ha?

if you are in a koi shop buying kois, dont rely on the opinion of others. its your money that will be spent on the fish so choose the koi that suits your taste and not on the standards of others.
    and besides you can best appreciate the fish especialy you were the one who chose it dba?

i thank you, bow.

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi View Post
    hehe. but a wait is very worth it. nindot jud mog mga kois maam.

naa lang ko ika add sa imong tips on selecting kois maam ha?

if you are in a koi shop buying kois, dont rely on the opinion of others. its your money that will be spent on the fish so choose the koi that suits your taste and not on the standards of others.
    and besides you can best appreciate the fish especialy you were the one who chose it dba?

i thank you, bow.
    Well, to each his own right?

These are all standards -- musts for show kois. These are but guidelines. Remember, koi appreciation is an art. However, if you're looking to have a pet, flaws can be overlooked if you really want to follow your heart instead. My hubby knows when he has found his koi when it makes his heart skip a beat.

The answer to which is the better koi below is obvious.

quick question: whats the difference between koi's and carps?

Quote Originally Posted by yolskai View Post
    quick question: whats the difference between koi's and carps?
    basaha sa previous posts sir.

pareha ra na sila. gitawag lang na siya ug koi kay it follows a strict pattern and color combination. if dili gani mo follow sa koi standards maconsider na siya nareject na carp then mao na siya ang ibaligya ug barato. mao ni ang ako pinaka sabotable na explaination.

thanks for explaining it in layman's words argulus,.. up for the koi lovers!!!

11.    Advertisement