Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast

Default "Garbage Problem in the Philippines" Can PINOYS really solve it?

Hi istoryans, I just want to see how interested Pinoys are with solving garbage issues.... I think this is very important issue considering the burgeoning population of the Philippines...

I heard some cities are doing something on this problem but still...i cannot attest that people in the Philippines are interested to live in a clean, fresh, dirt-free environment... Any comments and suggestions?

Default Re: "Garbage Problem in the Philippines" does Pinoys really interested solving it?

the problem is that people who want to do something about it, by no other way than recycling, do not know where exactly to sell old bottles and old papers and old anything. i think it would be a good idea if people who are into those businesses seek help in getting it publicized. that way we'll know exactly where to go. we can't wait all day long in the hopes that we might hear somebody shout "baligya botilya!"Â*

recycling is not the only solution. it's one part of the solution. the other part is discipline.

Default Re: "Garbage Problem in the Philippines" Are Pinoys really interested solving it?

‘No garbage segregation, no collection’ in Parañaque
    By Michael Punongbayan
    The Philippine Star 08/28/2005

The city government of Parañaque is implementing a "no segregation, no collection" policy in an effort to promote responsible garbage management and disposal.

Following an intensive and citywide education and information campaign at the barangay level, Mayor Florencio Bernabe said it was time to implement a better solid waste management scheme.

He said the program seeks to follow the provisions of Republic Act 9003, or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2001, which requires households as well as commercial and business establishments to segregate biodegradable and non-biodegradable wastes and place them in separate garbage bags, which would be collected on a weekly basis.

Biodegradable waste materials include kitchen waste like fruit peelings, vegetable discards, leftover or spoiled food as well as garden or yard litter like leaves, weeds and twigs.

Non-biodegradable garbage, on the other hand, includes metal, glass, plastic, rubber, bonded composites like foils or tetra packs, paper and cardboard, leather and cloth.

Bernabe said Parañaque currently generates more than 300 metric tons of garbage daily, of which 35 percent is biodegradable and can be composted. Close to 30 percent are considered non-biodegradable and can be recovered and recycled as "factory returnable items."

The city’s Solid Waste Management Board, which is spearheading the "no segregation, no collection" policy in close coordination with barangay officials, said about 85 percent of the garbage comes from households.

This, the mayor noted, is the very reason why segregation at the household level has become a top priority in order for the program to succeed.

"I urge and encourage all homeowners and their domestic helpers to do their share by segregating their garbage," Bernabe said. "They can compost their kitchen or garden wastes or if they don’t have space to do this, they can deposit them in biodegradable bins which their barangay officials will provide. One such bin will be provided for every cluster of 50 homes in every village or subdivision."

In Caloocan City, the local government urged residents to sort their garbage and practice recycling to lessen the waste they produce amid the work stoppage staged by employees of a garbage contractor.

Mayor Enrico "Recom" Echiverri assured the public that the city won’t be affected by the strike of Ren Transport garbage collectors, who decided to stop doing their rounds in different cities to protest the company’s unfair labor practices.

The mayor said other trucks and drivers of Ren assigned to the city that are not included in the barricade are continuing their regular garbage collection.

He said the collection was on schedule and there has been no reported backlog.

He added the local government has a contingency plan in case the collectors stop doing their rounds. He said city garbage trucks are on standby and will take over the areas assigned to the contractor.

These include Maypajo, West Grace Park and C-3 up to Rizal Avenue.

Echiverri earlier warned garbage contractors that he would terminate their services if he receives reports that they have not been following their schedule.

The mayor earlier implemented the Waste Management Program where 16 barangays were chosen to be the pilot test areas for waste segregation.
    Here it guys some article that ive read.....is the idea good?

Default Re: "Garbage Problem in the Philippines" Are Pinoys really interested solving it?

it's a good start.

it has been implemented in our barangay. i remember one day when me and my brother were segregating the garbage (malata and di malata). we were mumbling "malata, di malata, malata.. kani baho man ni? unsaon man ni? apilan sad unta ug "mobaho?"

nag segregate naman mi

... one of our kagawad is doing her daily sermon and giving out instructions on what to do with our garbage, using super loud speakers or should i say TROMPA. it's quite effective. At first people ignored her but since she wont stop people are starting to give in. Put the problem now is where to put all those collected garbage.

smokey mountain 2. here in cebu lol. export them to san paulo brazil and have them recycled. :P

Default Re: "Garbage Problem in the Philippines" Are Pinoys really interested solving it

In Dumaguete, if ever you haven't tried visiting this place, this is quite a clean city. One interesting point is that the dumpsite was turned into a tourist spot because it is now an ecological partk. Maybe I could post an article about this next time.

the solution to this problem starts in every household..if we know how to Recycle and Segregate then this garbage impact to the environment will be considerably lessen..all we need is discipline.

bisan wala ta sa balay dapat kahibaw gihapon ta mo labay sa basura sa saktong labayan... mag inom/kaon sa dalan inig homan kaon lupad man lang dayon ang putos sa gikan-an/inom. It's a matter of discipline and teamwork.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast