Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trip of a Lifetime : Experiencing the best of both worlds in Maafushi, Maldives

This summer, after careful planning, we were able to fulfill one of our dream vacation destinations…the Maldives!

Fortunately, there is a low cost carrier that serves flights from Kuala lumpur to Male, Maldives, with a layover in Singapore...Tiger Air! The layover in SG was a plus since it was long enough to see the city. In addition to the availability of a budget airline, for us, Filipino travelers, we don’t need a visa to go to the Maldives. Visa is stamped upon arrival.

All in all, the air ticket wasn’t so bad. The huge financial challenge was the accommodation cost. Here are the options if you choose to stay in island resorts:

• If you choose to stay in resorts close to the airport e.g. Kaafu Atoll, the rate ranges from $250/night onwards and the speedboat transfer would cost about $70~
    • If you choose to stay in resorts farther from the airport, the rate is from $150~ but the speedboat transfer would cost about $300~. If the only way to go is by sea plane, then that would be around $500~

Our 2 night stay in the island resort was great but it did drain our wallets!

Since the expenses in staying in the resort for 4 more nights would be pretty excruciating, we went to Maafushi Island, one of the inhabited islands in south Male Atoll. This is the most affordable and fun way to visit the Maldives. It’s like having the best of both worlds! You can taste a bit of the island resort luxury and experience the lifestyle of Maldivians. So, here’s the breakdown:

- We stayed in Maafushi Inn, one of the many guest houses in the island. We stayed there for 4 nights. The rate was completely reasonable, about $45~. I checked several other guesthouses before making the final booking and there are some that cost from $70~. The first few ones I booked didn’t reply to any of my inquiries, none of them did! Because of that, I cancelled my bookings. It turns out that their lack of communication was a blessing in disguise because when we got there, I noticed that the inn I chose wasn’t that different from the ones that cost way more.

- Maafushi Inn’s rooms were very clean. You can even choose rooms on the 2nd floor, which have better views.

- The people and the management are beyond amazing. I learned a lot about Maldivian culture. It reminded me of home and the feeling that island people share something in common. Before dinner time, people played music and just hung out in the reception area. The fine white sand flooring the reception area was pretty cool too.

- Considering the price, the service was excellent! Our guide took us to the local band’s studio and we even got a chance to sing with them!

- They offer a wide range of excursions from snorkeling, fishing, sandbank picnics, dolphin cruising, water sports and trips to nearby island resorts!! So, instead of paying the cost of staying in the resort for about $200/night, we only paid for the entrance fee which ranges from $28~ onwards. The inn has a bunch of options too and you can choose base on the entrance fee and speedboat transfer cost. I had compared Maafushi Inn’s excursion cost with another inn before I made the final booking and the prices were almost the same. In fact, in some trips, Maafushi Inn’s offers were more reasonable. After experiencing some of them, I’d say, they are worth going!

- We tried 2 of their snorkeling trips. For these, you only pay for the speedboat transfer. I’m usually afraid of being in the deep blue part of the water but with their very helpful and reliable guides, I felt I was in good hands, especially because my companion and I were given the privilege of having our own personal guides!

- The island has a beach too but apart from swimming, there is nothing else to do. So you can enjoy a day of excursion then go back to the guesthouse, take a walk along the island’s beach and just enjoy the island life!

- The inn has a restaurant too so no need to worry about meals. The food there was great! They have a variety of options from affordable to average price dishes.

- The island, though very small, has cheap local restaurants and a small grocery store, but on Fridays, most of them are closed. Maldives is an Islam country so, no alcohol in the island. If you’re thirsty for beer or wine, they are only available in resorts.

So, to all of you out there who’s planning to go but are hesitant because of the cost, staying in Maafushi Island is the answer! With a considerable number of guest houses and inns there, choosing one could be tricky. I highly recommend Maafushi Inn. The price is very reasonable, the people are great and most of all, their service, the atmosphere and excursions are tested and proven!

Here’s how to get to Maafushi Island:

• The fastest (about 25 minutes), the most comfortable, and the most Maldive-ish way is to go by speedboat from the airport. The cost is about $170, but this is shared so the more of you, the cheaper for each person! The inn will pick you up from the airport so it is very convenient.
    • The cheapest but not flexible and not so comfortable way is to go by public ferry. The ride is about 2 hours and it only cost $2 each way. The ferry terminal is located in Male. Male is the capital but it is situated on a separate island. So from the airport (on a different island as well), you need to take a water taxi ($1) to Male. From the city, you need to take a taxi to Maafushi ferry terminal ($2).

So, stop day dreaming and make your dream vacation a reality!

Wow, nice share, TS. Kanus.a pa kaha ko maka adto sa Maldives. Even in my dreams wala paman.

tigum na sugud! hehe

Soon. Thanks for sharing. I'd have this in my bucket list before I reach 30

Do you have a blog, so we can peruse more details from it, Ts?

just contact me thru this site when u need further info. I can hook you up with the guest house i mentioned easily

Quote Originally Posted by sherly View Post
    The island, though very small, has cheap local restaurants and a small grocery store, but on Fridays, most of them are closed. Maldives is an Islam country so, no alcohol in the island. If you’re thirsty for beer or wine, they are only available in resorts.
    Thanks for sharing! How much did you spend on average for a meal?

cheapest is about $6, but you can eat for $4 or 5. If you want decent, nice meal, say about $20 tops.

it can only be called trip of a lifetime if you are already dead... if buhi ka pa.. who knows.. there will be other trips in your future.. like Santorini perhaps.. or machu pichu to name a couple ..personally, there are places right here in the Philippines that are at par in natural post-card beauty with Maldives.. if you really care to look... it is nothing but islands surrounded by the sea.

people have different interests, either domestic vs overseas travels, beaches vs mountain adventure but to our kababayan out there who share the same interest and want more info, i email lang ni nga address: raxnee.maafushiin@gmail.com for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Passport View Post
    it can only be called trip of a lifetime if you are already dead... if buhi ka pa.. who knows.. there will be other trips in your future.. like Santorini perhaps.. or machu pichu
    It doesnt have to be like that. Im going to borrow a few phrases from another blog i read,

"trip of a lifetime means either:
    - a trip in which you could do all the things you want in just one trip
    - a trip you can never go again for whatever reason
    - a trip that changed your life"

kung patay naka then unsaon nimo pag share imong trip and who then would use the phrase "trip of a lifetime" kung cla tanan who had it are 6feet under?! haha

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast