Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default MIddle-Earth Quest: Tolkien Works Discussion

it's very very obvious in my nick "fingolfin", that im a tolkien fanatic. I got it from one of his characters;son of finwe, most valiant among the noldorin prince. I knew some people here that also admires tolkien like Galadriel, Gareb and Legolas...............and would like to ask; who else?? I surely will like to have a cool conversation with all you people who has the same taste as mine..............thanks.............
    by the way, feel free to ask me anything about middle-earth; from the first age to the fourth age............

Blog Entries

Default a survey of JRR TOLKIEN fans.....

i bet they already call u "the Elvish Chronicler of Middle-Earth" when u reached Valinor.
    “What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.” - Chuck Palahniuk

I wouldn't call myself a FAN, but I loved the LOTR books (I got that 4 book boxed set).

By the way, fingolfin, if you like Tolkien, then you'll love CROSSGEN comics. Instead of superheroes, they publish Fantasy/Adventure stories.

Check out all their free online comics here:

http://www.comicsontheweb.com

hey, how come aragorn beat those ring wraiths quite easily in the 1st movie?

Blog Entries

they were not riding those sick flying creatures. i dunno. it was because of the torch he was carrying perhaps... or that he caught them unawares...
    “What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by DrE
    hey, how come aragorn beat those ring wraiths quite easily in the 1st movie?
    Because they probably recognized that Aragorn was their descendant.

But Aragorn's swordplay sucks compared to the dude in my Avatar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Borromeo
    But Aragorn's swordplay sucks compared to the dude in my Avatar.
    OT: dont change that Carlo. its one of my favorites. ah the gore! the blood! the viscera! silly little swordsman.

I changed it last week because I got a PMed complaint. But Glassmoon (God I hate calling him that) told me it was cool to have it back.

Back to Tolkien. As much as I love his story, I have one gripe - HIS TECHNIQUE. No one can doubt that he was one of the foremost authorities on Anglo-literature, and it shows in LOTR, which is a highly embellished retelling of Arthurian/Medieval lore.

But, it takes him forever to get to his point. 1500 + pages (it took him 20 years to write) to tell this story? I am impressed with the detail, but damnit, he should've gotten straight to the point and be done with it. Why does every ****ing character have to recite a ****ing poem whenever something happens? Who the **** does that in real life?

After reading the LOTR books and watching the films, I was astounded at how well Peter Jackson trimmed the excess fat of the book and went straight to the meat of the story. If you've read Return of the King and watched the TWO TOWERS film, you'll notice that some pieces of dialogue were moved from the ROTK book and moved into The Two Towers movie. And conversely, some scenes were expanded (THE BATTLE OF HELM'S DEEP) in the movie, while some were moved to the last installment (SHELOB'S LAIR.)

And nobody recites Old English poetry.

I applaud Peter Jackson for these moves, which not only managed to adapt the story faithfully, but efficiently.

If you guys want to read modern fantasy storytelling, I highly recommend AMERICAN GODS by the mighty NEIL GAIMAN. Think of it as LORD OF THE RINGS written by a guy who's really, really, high.

I think Gaiman is going to be the next Tolkien. Just you wait and see.

And also, catch the TV movies.

FRANK HERBERT'S DUNE

and CHILDREN OF DUNE

On the Hallmark Channel.

It's to Sci-fi, what LOTR is to Fantasy.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast