Default Millions of Pages Google Hijacked via Open Directory feed

Millions of Pages Google Hijacked via Open Directory feed
    By: cornwall [privmsg - website] On 22nd Mar 2005 In Search marketing & business

Like many webmasters I was a bit too relaxed about 302 hijacks, until I started digging into who was hijacking my pages and how could I remove them. I have now discovered that this problem is numerically out of control, with millions of 302s out there. And boy, am I angry. If you have a Dmoz link, check for 302s - obviously Google have to have indexed the page thats 302ing you, for it to be a problem. Maybe its my fault for having lots of Dmoz links!

Surely not millions you say, but there are a number of scraper directories taking the DMOZ feed of 4 million sites and 302ing the lot. I have explored the depths of two such sites found here in my blog . I have no idea how many of these Dmoz fed, 302 scraper directories there are in the wild, but there has to be more than the two I detail. At 4 million 302s each, that is one hell of a lot of 302s

I have now removed 40 of these 302s from sites that were pointing to my sites, and according to Google’s own fact & fiction page

read more

Webmasters beware of this...

Default Re: Millions of Pages Google Hijacked via Open Directory feed

one of my projects got hijacked a long long time ago... heh... its a common tale for websites with alot of traffic.

try searching mogmine in google and all you see are ******s and rx meds... normally it would show up what i submitted to google sitemap... about 20-50 links, but dang hijackers made the search result to a ridiculous amount of 3,880 hah! lol...

pffft too bad theres nothing you can do with google's indexing habit. once googlebot indexed those 302's its gonna be there for god knows when.

3.    Advertisement