Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3744454647484950 ... LastLast

Default Re: EVERYTHING about TITO SOTTO

Sotto 'apology' sparks online outrage

By Kathlyn dela Cruz, ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 11/13/2012 9:06 PM | Updated as of 11/13/2012 10:14 PM

MANILA, Philippines -- Senator Vicente "Tito" Sotto III's latest plagiarism denial has again sparked outrage among Filipino netizens.

On micro-blogging site Twitter, the word "Sotto" trended nationwide Tuesday afternoon after the senator apologized to the Kennedy family for using and translating without attribution some parts of the late US Senator Robert F. Kennedy's 1966 Day of Affirmation speech.

While Sotto said sorry, he still insisted that he did not commit plagiarism because he allegedly did not claim a portion of Kennedy's speech as his own.

He said, "Copying or imitation is the highest form of flattery. If it upsets the Kennedy family, I'm sorry. But that is not the intention that we have."

Many netizens took to social media to express their dismay over Sotto's perceived lack of sincerity in his apology.

Twitter user JC Jimenez said, "Reading tweets about sotto's apology to the kennedy's but from the looks of it its a lame apology.. lacks sincerity."

Blogie Robillo tweeted, "This wasn't an apology. In fact, I find it very insulting to the Kennedys."

"Nagsosorry, pero may bawi sa dulo. #AnoBaTalaga Sotto?!," @kateringk said.

@ThisGuyVester tweeted, "Grabe! Tito Sotto's apology regarding plagiarism sounds ARROGANT and NOT so sincere at all!"

Netizen Robert Young Jr. asked, "Sen. Sotto, 'Copying is the highest form of flattery.' Does he want the Kennedy family to thank him for plagiarizing Sen. Kennedy speech?"

Twitter user @iamJAFierce, likewise, asked, "What if we copied your name and signature and use it for illegal use, will that flatter you sotto?"

"Theme song of the day: Ego. "I gotta big EGO, such a huge EGO"- Sotto," said Jayson Naval.

Some netizens, meanwhile, reminded voters that they should be wise in voting for government officials to avoid a similar incident in the future.

Novice Puncturer tweeted, "Alam ni Sotto kung anong ginagawa nya, he's coasting on this issue. Alam nyo na kung sino sisisihin pag nahalal sya uli (read: VOTERS)."

Nicole Yu, whose username is @kneecoalyou, said, "What is wrong with you Senator Sotto!!!!! ANNOYING. This is exactly why we should all think before we vote (esp when voting for celebrities)."

The hashtag #iGoogleNaYan also trended locally on Tuesday evening as netizens used it to talk about Sotto's future speeches.

Netizen Aila D. Garcia said, "New speech for Sotto, #iGoogleNaYan #sinottocopy."

Twitter user @yogon, likewise, said, "Tito Sotto's next turno en contra speeches #iGoogleNaYan."

"Ano kayang magandang sabihin sa speech?" -Tito Sotto #iGoogleNaYan )))))))," @IanPunsalan tweeted.

While Sotto was being criticized by most of the Filipino netizens, some social media users also came to his defense.

Some of them said that people should just move on from the issue and stop dropping judgments on the controversial senator.

LR Danao-Dela Cruz, whose username is @thenow_delacruz, said "Tired of the Sotto ish. Let's move on and learn from this. Mas mganda kung pgtuunan ng pansin paano mttapos ang prob na traffic sa EDSA."

Likewise, Brother Bear tweeted, "Di ko nilalahat. Ano bang problema nyong mga galit kay Sen Sotto. Sinampahan nyo pa ng reklamo sa Ethics Committee. Nagsorry na nga sya di ba?"

"Dapat nga magpasalamat pa sila if na quote ni Sotto yung mga blog nila that means my laman yun, may kwenta," @DelarosaGERALD said.

Netizen Christine Mae tweeted, "Hmm I don't get why people are treating Tito Sotto like he's the most horrible person in the world. But hey I'm not saying that what he did was right. Just give the man a break. He's not the first or only person who have copied someone else's work. So don't act as if it's something new, cause in the Philippines... it's not! There are more important issues that we should be thinking about. #JustSaying #MyOpinion"

Source: Sotto 'apology' sparks online outrage | ABS-CBN News

- tuara.. bulabog na pud ang netizens karon imbes nahilom na unta.. kini jud si sotto.. xa ra jud magbuhat og way nga maulawan sya. tan-awon nato hantod kanus-a jud ka gahi ni iya batikulon.. hehehehe!

Sotto apologizes to Kennedy family
    By Rio Rose Ribaya | Yahoo! Southeast Asia Newsroom – 14 hours ago

Now, Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III feels sorry.

In a privilege speech on Tuesday, the senate majority leader finally issued a public apology not for reportedly committing plagiarism but for having the issue upset the Kennedy family.

“If it upsets the Kennedy Family, then I am sorry,” Sotto said in an impromptu speech.

Sotto admitted copying a moving quote he received in a text message from a Christian leader without knowing it used to be part of the late US Senator Robert Kennedy’s speech.

Thinking it could inspire the public, Sotto delivered the text in Filipino as part of his speech during the height of deliberations on Reproductive Health (RH) bill.

Related Story: Sotto finds ally in Enrile in plagiarism issue

“If the Kennedy family thinks I copied it, that’s okay because I really copied it from a text message. Mr. President, copying or imitation is the highest form of flattery,” Sotto said.

“But that was not the intentions we have when we used it in the speech,” he clarified.

Addressing 37 individuals who filed a ethics complaint against him for plagiarizing works from bloggers on Tuesday morning, Sotto argued he never claimed parts of his speech as his own.

The actor-turned-politician accused members of the academe who lodged ethics complaint against him of turning “a simple case of probable misinformation” into “a case of persecution.”

“In my three turno en contra (speeches), I repeated several times, the Senate journal will bear me out, that I never said that they were mine. It’s clear that I disclosed everything there where I got it,” Sotto explained.

Related Story: Kennedy daughter confirms plagiarism complaint vs Sotto

“Plagiarism is to steal and pass off the idea of one another as one’s own without crediting the source. Mr. President, I never claimed it as mine,” he noted.

“I did not pass off anything as my own. How will I apologize for plagiarism when I never plagiarised? They want me to plead guilty for murder when the case is physical injury,” he added.

Sotto gave the speech after the late US senator’s daughter Kerry Kennedy denounced his action as “unethical, unsanctioned theft of Robert Kennedy's intellectual property” in a letter.

The letter, which circulated on various websites over the weekend, came months after Sotto was accused of copying parts of blogger Sarah Pope’s post in his speech during plenary debates on the RH Bill.

Source: Sotto apologizes to Kennedy family - Yahoo! News Philippines
    Last edited by Ronzkie23; 11-14-2012 at 09:03 AM.

the best revenge is not to vote for him this coming election.

mobilib jud kos mobutar puhon aning tito sotto ba.

Parliamentary immunity may not save Sotto from plagiarism complaint
    GMA News OnlineGMA News Online – 8 hours ago

Sen. Vicente Sotto III’s argument that parliamentary immunity protects him from the ethics complaint filed against him by 37 bloggers and professors may not be as airtight as he thinks.

"No, of course not, since the Constitution says a senator cannot be held responsible in any other place clearly implying that in the Senate he can be held responsible," Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago told GMA News Online on Tuesday.

Sotto and Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile earlier cited a provision in the Philippine Constitution that said a senator cannot be held liable for things he said while in the chamber. Sotto continued to forward his argument in a Tuesday privilege speech.

"You are making laws hindi ka pwedeng i-confine kahit nga libelous o ano sabihin mo rito you cannot be held liable in any place dahil yun ang binibigay na elbow room sa legislative, iba po ang pananaw sa academe. Sa academe kasi yung pangongopya bawal at kung anu-ano yung bawal pero dito ho sa senado ibang usapan po yun."

Related news: Academics join bloggers in Sotto plagiarism complaint

According to Article 6, Section 11 of the 1987 Constitution, "A senator or member of the House of Representatives shall, in all offenses punishable by not more than six years imprisonment, be privileged from arrest while the Congress is in session. No member shall be questioned nor be held liable in any other place for any speech or debate in the Congress or in any committee thereof."

Lawyers Ibarra Gutierrez, counsel to the ethics complainants, and Theodore Te, professor at the University of the Philippines College of Law, told GMA News Online that Sotto and Enrile were wrong in their interpretation of the provision.

"Immunity applies to cases filed ‘in any other place’ such as a regular court. It does not apply to the Senate itself, which, under its own rules, can sanction a member for improper conduct. This is long established doctrine," said Gutierrez.

"It appears that there is jurisdiction if the venue is the ethics committee because it is internal to the Senate...[so] it would appear that [their] reading is not accurate," added Te.

Santiago was of the same mind and concluded that the parliamentary immunity defense would not hold before the ethics committee.

Related news: Sotto apologizes to Kennedy family

Meanwhile, Sen. Franklin Drilon explained to GMA News Online that the purpose of the Senate ethics committee is to give people a venue to air their grievance against any senator.

"That [through the ethics committee] is the way to be questioned in the Senate. But Sen. Sotto cannot be questioned anywhere else except in the Senate through the ethics committee, that's what the Constitution says," he said.

Enrile had also said that, though the complainants are free to file a complaint before the ethics panel, there is no guarantee it will be fruitful.

Both Drilon and Santiago said that it is in the hands of the ethics panel chair.

"I will leave that to the chair of the ethics committee to decide on whether we should take cognizance of a case based on alleged plagiarism, whether it is sufficiently substantial in his view. Presumably, either he has to make a decision or we’ll have to take a vote," Santiago said. — DVM, GMA News

Source: Parliamentary immunity may not save Sotto from plagiarism complaint - Yahoo! News Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by rans23 View Post
    mobilib jud kos mobutar puhon aning tito sotto ba.
    naa juy mobutar ani niya, kay daghan baya walay utok nga pilipino... nga palabihon ang kamaayo sa salida ug dili sa actual nga binuhatan

What do you expect from a comedian and an artist who is used to just following scripts......this time he simply copued his speech verbatim sad sad tsk tsk, very embarrasing.

lingawa sige sunod aning drama ni sotto oi.. hahaha

mapili ra jud ang artisita nga pwede ma politico. also, he looks like Danny Trejo kadto bida sa machete.

sa kadaghan pwede e speech...ngano nanggamit paman jud ug speech sa uban..hahay or possible sab wala tuyoa nga same ra sila ug nahuna hunaan ni kennedy...

11.    Advertisement

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3744454647484950 ... LastLast