Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2001: A Space Odyssey

I have just finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey by Stanly Kubrick. I will tell you honestly that I don't understand the movie, I don't understand my feelings towards it and I don't understand what it is trying to tell me. Before I say anything, I may have to tell you this. I am not into science fiction much nor am I very knowledgeable in that area. I am almost allergic to anything intelligent. Maybe it's because of the facts that my mum was watching with me the first half of the film and was very noisy and maybe cos I watched it at 1 til 3 am or maybe I am just too incapable of understanding complex scientific and super philosophical ideas like this that is why I am still confused up to this very moment. So anyway, can any body shed some light about what I am going through right now. If you've watched the movie and liked it or even if not, kindly share your thoughts on it. Thanks

This, though, I may have to tell you. It is very surreal and I felt afraid after watching. I have this fear of the thought of floating in the universe and not knowing where I am heading, can't move properly and doesn't have any gun to kill myself. The feeling I get when I think about that is close to what I am feeling now. Like waking up to a dream and then realizing you're still in it.

I have watched the movie more than once, and i still do not get it --fully that is.
    It, however, is one of my fave movies to watch. It is just one of those movies that are really interesting and confusing at the same time.

It is a movie that would require you to watch it numerous times to satisfy the different levels of enjoyment and understanding. Much like Eraserhead, for me.

Just my two cents...

and also, everything is relative.. right? so the movie, for me, was meant to be an eye-opener of sorts.. we should not lose what makes us human... even with all the technological advancements

Mao ni akong pinakapaborito sa mga salida ni Kubrick.

Pero daghan gid kaayug nindot sa iyang oeuvre (Barry Lyndon, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Paths of Glory, The Killing, et al. Eyes Wide Shut is actually much complex, but simply presented. I think it would have been his perfect film if he were able to finish it.). Pero sa akong opinyon walay naka-obtain sa level of achievement sa 2001 labi na sa mga salida karon. Maong dili siguro recommended nga magstart sa 2001 kung gusto ka makabalo sa filmography ni Kubrick.

Nakabasa kog mga articles nga gi compare ang INCEPTION sa 2001. Wa pa ko kita'g inception. Ambot lang. Nolan is not Kubrick. Daghan kaayog mga discontinuities sa mga scenes sa iyang mga salida, though entertaining ug interesting iyang mga salida especially Memento ug The Prestige. Siguro dili ma pin-point ang dicontinuity sa Inception kay ang setting damgo man.

Si Kubrick grabe man gud to siya ka meticulous. Mga 100:1 ang ratio sa mga takes sa iyang scenes. So it takes like an average 100 takes to get one scene. He was always afraid that when he goes to editing, he can no longer control the scenes. And he spews an average one movie per decade. Another filmmaker of the similar reputation is Terence Malick. Whose films are also brilliant.

Usa sa naka interesting gyud sa 2001 kay wala kaayo'y dialogue maong uber important ang music. And the score is excellent. It is very haunting and memorable mao nga murag mahadlok ka kay it hinges on the unknown and blackness of space. It is in fact heavily borrowed and imitated.

One of the themes sa movie is consistency. Consistency with our culture as a human race. From the apes to the high-tech people, we are forever fighting for space and territory until naabot na sa space ang mga taw. And one of the things that the black monolith represents is the unknown that we are forever trying to uncover.

I don't believe that you have to be very intelligent to appreciate every movie. Feelings is also important. Sometimes no matter how intelligent one can be, one cannot articulate one's feelings. Maong I think you felt floating and confused because you cannot exactly articulate your feelings. If we don't live in a world of norms and materials, I think the feeling would be like floating and not knowing where you're going. But because we busy ourselves, we barely get to notice this.

Maybe years later or when you have time, you can watch 2001 again. It's actually better that way. And if you can watch it in theaters it would be really excellent. I actually got to see this in theaters, luckily, for my 3rd or 4th viewing. It was my last viewing, mga 3 years ago. It was a special screening. Nakahinumdum hinoon ko ani da. Ganahan hinoon ko mutan-aw balik.

Ug beware pud diay sa way kwenta nga sequel ani 2010: The Year We Make Contact (Peter Hyams, 1984). Makalagot. Tanan gi-hungit. Hasta ang mystiryo sa monolith nawagtang.

I don't really want to further post my opinions on this movie because it is best discovered and dissected by oneself.

But this I have to say, I think your level of understanding of this movie, regardless of previous knowledge with cosmology and science in general, increases with increasing age and wider understanding of life, mortality, and time. What you saw in the movie today maybe different a couple years later. And that's what, I think, makes this a really, really excellent film.

^^ hhmmm..then maybe i should watch it again

Yes, I will watch it again and maybe at a time when I don't have to fight myself from dozing off. The first Kubrick film I watched was actually Clockwork Orange and I am currently downlaoding The Shining. The score was very catching, I've noticed. Maybe this is common in all Kubrick films, I am not sure. Usually one can't notice musical score while watching a movie but it is what takes us in a different emotional level. It is hard to say what my thoughts are about the film. For now the best I can sort out of it is that it portrays what I feel about space exploration and cosmic subject, the feeling of vastness and overwhelming posibilities, of the unknown and incomprehesible truths. I suck at articulating my thoughts anyhow I will try, I think it is the feeling you get when you are infront of a whale that will devour you.

One movie that I really liked cos of musical score was Pi. Out of topic but I just remembered. Anyway, I have to agree that you all that this is a significant film. I haven't watched Inception. I've heard a lot of good comments on it. I will wait for the hype to end though before watching it. I haven't seen Eraserhead but remembered reading about it. I will include it on my list of movies to watch. Thanks

@BertR: Fellini!

(Sorry sak sak sinagol. hasula itype og bati na keyboard oi)

@ubique: Yes, Fellini. A born liar! hehehe
    What can you say about A Clockwork Orange?

Hmmm... I would recommend you watch Kubrick's older films first, like The Killing (brilliant!), Paths of Glory (superb!), and then progress chronologically. Just a suggestion.
    And yes, watch 2001 again when you have conditioned your body for a near 3-hour bonanza.

If you watch Kubrick's later films, everything including the score, are catchy. So use your six senses. Catchy pud ang score sa The Shining.

Pi, I have watched once. Though I do like Aronofsky films, like Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain and The Wrestler, I didn't quite like his directorial debut because it seemed to me pretentious. And yes it has a memorable Clint Mansell score because in fact it was derived from 2001 A Space Odyssey, similarly called Lux Aeterna.

Eraserhead yes. Great film. But of Lynch's films, one that's greatly comparable to Inception would be Mulholland Drive. And probably comparable to 2001, too. Only it explores the cosmology of dreams. I would easily choose this also to be his best.

Mayta napay Inception next week, sa next week pa siguro ko katan-aw.

salamat. I will try to look for those films you've mentioned. Bitaw, I think it's better to start on earlier works so that I will see the progression sad sa maker. My friend told me that all Kubrick films are different and unique from each other.

I didn't like Pi much. There were too many things going on and I was expecting too much with the storyline but I liked the musical score. I am no film geek though. When I watch a movie before I didn't even bother to see who was it by. In short, na-amazed kos imong know how about films, nosebleed

I've just started watching movies with high ratings on IMDB and see for myself if I share the same thoughts with some people. I have a lot that I haven't seen yet. Thanks jud kaayu sa recommendations

Inception, I will have to see later. I don't think I can afford to watch it on big screen or I would fee guilty after labi na igbuto di ko kasabot.

Nah. Don't be amazed kay maski ako daghan pa kaayog tan-awonong mga salida. Ika nga maraming pang kakaining bigas.

Na-taymingan lang nga ang atong discussion na fall within Lynch-Kubrick-Aronofsky-Nolan filmographies nga gagmay ra silag salida. hehehe

Maka notice kag ahat sa ubang aspeto sa usa ka salida (cinematography, score, editing, acting) kay kasagaran aning mga auteurs throughout their career usually collaborate with the same troupe of artists.

For example, Aronofsky and musical scorer Clint Mansell worked together in Pi,Requiem for a Dream, and The Fountain. Nya si Chris Nolan works with Wally Pfister for cinematography and also with his brother Jonathan, with regards to writing, since he started directing. Bergman with Sven Nykvist. Scorsese with DiNero and recently with DiCaprio. Fellini and Macello Mastroiani, kanang taw nga nag-glasses sa akong avatar.

Si Kubrick lang ang di kaayo ilado nga frequently collaborates with his team. Naa ray mga kaduha or katulo niya gamiton ang usa ka actor. Mao sigurong lain-lain gyud iyang mga salida. Though there are some techniques that resound throughout his filmography. Like the GLARE.

ah bitaw sad. Dali siguro sya pulan nya explorative sad kaayu sya. Ang nasud sa akong huna-huna da kay Adam Sandler og Rob Schneider, lol. Bag-o ra ko human og The Killing. Actually I was not planning to be hooked on Kubrick films or films in general, basin sad sa lack of info about niya. Pero murag na kutaw pa jud kos 2001 and na intrigued na nuon kos iyang works. Hinay lang kayu among connection oi. Daghan pa unta ko ganahan tanawon. Mostly, masganahan kog horror or horror-fantasy films like pan's labyrinth. And I would have love to have a collection of Twilight Zone series sad. Kinahanglan jud ko patient til makaafford na kog original, ambot lang.

Nalingaw kos The Killing labi na sa last line. Maayu kayu pagkahiluna ang story-line, gaan kaayu tanawon, but I don't think I have to tell you that

The glare is something interesting to me too. While watching Clockwork Orange, then katong glare shot niya kang Alex, na excited jud ko ato na shot kay epic kaayu with his lashes pa jud. Sweet! But yeah, I didnt know it was a Kubrick's trademark. nalingaw ko, lol.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast