Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_Itaire View Post
    invite a writer or poet to speak to your students.

just recently i had the chance to meet a palanca awardee for poetry and that inspired me somehow. might work on your students.
    That would be a terrific idea...I would try to contact writers but then could you give me contact numbers of writers I could invite to my class? Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by beyee View Post
    research online.. there are a lot of links u can go to for techniques before, during and after reading ideal for ur students
    Thanks for the suggestion....

short stories of anton chekhov
    great for starters

Try having them watch Dead Poet Society.

Quote Originally Posted by blur View Post
    Try having them watch Dead Poet Society.
    What is this about?

ka-remember ko pag highschool, nalingaw jud ko sa Greek Mytho. Gipabasa mi sa among teacher sa katong book nga compilation sa Greek and Roman mytho stories (Iliad, Adventures of Odysseus, Jason and the Argonauts, etc) ni Hamilton. I forgot the author's first name though. You might want to start with it kay murag nalingaw man mi ato sa akong mga classmates. Our English teacher gave out handouts pud.

Aside from The Reader, you can also let them watch Becoming Jane (Austen).

We also read short stories by Tolstoy and O.Henry before pag highschool.

You can also ask your students to write a book review, ; )

Chinamoren...Greek Mythology is by Edith Hamilton...I will let them watch Becoming Jane..I saw it..nice...Yeah, I found out my students like anything about mythology...I think noh, kids these days are into anything but the real...nindot unta they get to have a taste of contemporary realistic fiction....

Contemporary realistic fiction... Like Sweet Valley High? Hehe just kidding.

Perhaps an even interesting change is to introduce your students to the writing genre that is Flash fiction? Here's a site I recommend where you can review works that belong to this category that are written by classic and contemporary writers.

FLASH FICTION ONLINE

And mythology is a good bet too for students. The young truly enjoy Fantasy and Adventure. Maybe you should have them do book reports on the heroes, villains and monsters of classic and contemporary literature.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shey0811 View Post
    Chinamoren...Greek Mythology is by Edith Hamilton...I will let them watch Becoming Jane..I saw it..nice...Yeah, I found out my students like anything about mythology...I think noh, kids these days are into anything but the real...nindot unta they get to have a taste of contemporary realistic fiction....
    Edith Hamilton's Mythology is a great book for literature.

use audio video presentation to your class. they are more receptive with that. example: if you are into roman lit that touches god and goddesses.. you can have the movie percy jackson.. then have it compare and contrast to the real myth. you may watch freedom writers.. that would motivate you. screen first the movies before you let your students watch.cheers!

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast