Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast

Default Why did Jesus HAVE to die?

First off, I really wasn't sure which forum this topic would fit into. Since there are no forums for debates or religion, and with holy week fast approaching, I'll just post it in this forum for it has obviously more serious topics compared to General Chit-Chat. Mods if you feel compelled to transfer this, please do.

[size=16px]Why did Jesus have to die?[/size]
    How are we SAVED in the process?

This topic was recently thought upon and published in TIME™ Magazine and it brought about three theories about why Jesus died and saved us in the process:

(1) The Good VS Evil Theory. Through Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection, He triumphs over Satan/Satan's temptations and rescues humanity from evil. It furthermore shows this analogy:
    [size=9px]-----------
    devil = mouse
    cross = mousetrap
    Christ = bait
    -----------[/size]
    I am still confused.

(2) The Paying-A-Debt Theory. Jesus sacrificed himself to pay the debts of humanity against God, thus we are saved from sin.

(3) The Role-Model Theory. By his example, Christ inspires people to live in obedience to God's ways. He has shown the path to salvation, and thus saving us.

Any thoughts? :idea:

tingkagol: i think if you read the bible it might enlighten you and i think religion is not to be debated kay dili gyud na maghuman

John 14:6

cheers

but it really doesnt have to be a debate...right?

Im trying very hard to not say "...because it was to save mankind...", correct me if im wrong (and based from experience, every time i say that, i usually am.) but i cant exactly recall a direct explicit statement from the bible that Jesus has to die to save Man from Sin. What i can recall is Jesus saying something about rebuilding the Temple in 3 days... or along those lines.

...Jesus answered and said to them, 15 "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up."

Oh and allow me to sidetrack...

but i found this very very very strikingly interesting...

its about the merovingian line of kings and the myth behind them... (blurring the lines between myth and history..)
    ---> http://www.21stcenturyradio.com/merovingian-twyman.htm

Full Time Slave-driver blade101's Avatar

my take:

its a combinaton of all 3 theories. think of it this way. The battle between Good(God,Jesus, and His Heavenly Host) and evil(satan,the devil and the hordes of hell) has been on going since the beginning of time.however, the balance of power has shifted, no thanks to us humans who have been wallowing in the state of sin.thus as a last ditch effort to save us, God gave up His only Son Jesus as payment for all our sins. however in His infinite wisdom, God chose to make His son human like us. HE did this to show us the way to our salvation.He showed us that if we take up our cross(ergo our sins) and carry them and admit we were wrong then we too wil be save..thereby fulfilling the third theory where Jesus acts as a guide.....

hope that helps......

ah. thats a good point there. but im still playing with the mythological story in my head... its rather very interesting.

Read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.
    He was one of the most famous atheists in the literary world before he became a Christian. This book was written for people like you who are interested.
    It doesn't make any references to any religious books or what have you's. It only uses good old-fashioned logic.
    =)

my view:

i am an athiest.... but i used to be a devoted christian but i have some questions that needs answers and so far i haven't found the answer even in the bible... so i dont care much on why he died....

i thought jesus climbed down the cross and had a family with mary magdalene. what the hell?

"For this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of men." He died to fulfill al righteousness... He died to be able to give us humans, the chance to live and be reconciled with our father in heaven. before we came into this earth, there was a grand council in heaven.

Lucifer and jesus Christ both volunteered to come to earth as our heavenly father was looking for someone to be our creator and saviour.

Lucifer first volunteered and said that he'd bring all of us back if god will send him to earth. God didnt like that because he wanted to give us the free agency... the freedom to choose.

Jesus Christ said, "Father, send me and the glory be thine forever.."

Jesus christ had to die for us to be given the chance to go back to our father's presence... he was our exemplar and because of his death we will all die to and go through the same process as he did...

Quote Originally Posted by zer0_cooL
    my view:

i am an athiest.... but i used to be a devoted christian but i have some questions that needs answers and so far i haven't found the answer even in the bible... so i dont care much on why he died....
    like what questions?

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast