Default the law of jante

from wiki:
    The Jante Law is a concept created by the Norwegian/Danish author Aksel Sandemose in his novel A fugitive crosses his tracks, where he portrays the small Danish town Jante, modelled upon his native town Nykøbing Mors as it was in the beginning of the 20th century, but typical of all very small towns, where nobody is anonymous.[1]

There are ten different rules in the law, but they are all variations on a single theme and are usually referred to as a homogeneous unit: Don't think you're anyone special or that you're better than us.

The ten rules are:

1. Don't think that you are special.
    2. Don't think that you are of the same standing as us.
    3. Don't think that you are smarter than us.
    4. Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
    5. Don't think that you know more than us.
    6. Don't think that you are more important than us.
    7. Don't think that you are good at anything.
    8. Don't laugh at us.
    9. Don't think that anyone of us cares about you.
    10. Don't think that you can teach us anything.

Further in the book: 11. Don't think that there is something we don't know about you.

In the book, those Janters who transgress this unwritten 'law' are regarded with suspicion and some hostility, as it goes against communal desire in the town, which is to preserve social stability and uniformity.

reminds me of

Is this an unavoidable fact of human nature?

Or can there one day be a society where you can take just as much joy in your friend's accomplishments as in your own?

Last edited by tatakalz; 07-14-2009 at 07:45 PM.

You are what you think.

I think think , therefore i am.

We dont have to limit ourselves on what others limit us.

-its the power of the unconcious, which controlls 75% of us.

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    IMHO a fictitious law, implies equality,in my own view somewhat reflective to traits where everyone is equal,antisocial,defensive and arrogant.It is quite difficult to put into practice,just a product of imagination from a scandinavian author, I presume.

^hahaha...imagination ra ni, sir. but sometimes we see it in action sa society...esp. on some govt. agencies

Quote Originally Posted by miyay View Post
    unfortunately, this is true of most people in this board and in real life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miyay View Post
    from wiki:
    The Jante Law is a concept created by the Norwegian/Danish author Aksel Sandemose in his novel A fugitive crosses his tracks, where he portrays the small Danish town Jante, modelled upon his native town Nykøbing Mors as it was in the beginning of the 20th century, but typical of all very small towns, where nobody is anonymous.[1]

There are ten different rules in the law, but they are all variations on a single theme and are usually referred to as a homogeneous unit: Don't think you're anyone special or that you're better than us.

The ten rules are:

1. Don't think that you are special.
    2. Don't think that you are of the same standing as us.
    4. Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
    5. Don't think that you know more than us.
    6. Don't think that you are more important than us.
    7. Don't think that you are good at anything.
    8. Don't laugh at us.
    9. Don't think that anyone of us cares about you.
    10. Don't think that you can teach us anything.

Further in the book: 11. Don't think that there is something we don't know about you.

In the book, those Janters who transgress this unwritten 'law' are regarded with suspicion and some hostility, as it goes against communal desire in the town, which is to preserve social stability and uniformity.

reminds me of
    In Social Psyc this is Collectivism vs. Individualism where group Goals and Norms are much more important than individual strivings and desires!

I believe that each one of us are smart and INTELLIGENCE is not only confined to COGNITIVE ABILITIES because even Manny Pacquiao is intelligent when it comes to KINESTHETIC INTELLIGENCE and he is smarter than the rest of us here when it comes to boxing!

According to Gardner Murphy, the Great Harvard Psychologist, there are 8 INTELLIGENCES present among ALL people!

BTW, even the Balut vendor that you see out there is intelligent using the power of persuasion to convince people to buy his product!
    Last edited by regnauld; 07-15-2009 at 05:50 AM.

8.    Advertisement