Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Space Odyssey, the time line is at the present. The author predicted about human deep space flight, sadly, the present didn't reached that far.

I totally agree. This way, we get the real dea. not the reel deal.

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    Can anyone name me a famous science fiction novel or movie (or novel made into a movie) that occurs in the present time (i.e. 2009/2010), NOT in the future?

-RODION
    The Day the Earth Stood Still. Came out 2008 though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bcasabee View Post
    Space Odyssey, the time line is at the present. The author predicted about human deep space flight, sadly, the present didn't reached that far.
    Correction. When 2001: A Space Odyssey was released, the year was 1968, ...Neil Armstrong had not yet stepped on the moon. The setting of the story was 2001, but the year was 1968, so it is incorrect to say that Space Odyssey's time line is at the present. However, you are correct in saying that Arthur C. Clarke's prediction didn't come true.

-RODION

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diatabz View Post
    The Day the Earth Stood Still. Came out 2008 though.
    Just trivia. TDTESS originally came out in 1951, but yes, it was set during the "present" time (i.e. 1951), and yes, the 2008 version seemed to have been also set in 2008 (or maybe I'm mistaken).

-RODION

List of science fiction films: 2000s - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The list that I've found in wikipedia, sorry I'm too lazy to pick them out.

Yeah, there were actually two space oddessys, 2001 and 2010. Would 2010 qualify?

Correction. When 2001: A Space Odyssey was released, the year was 1968, ...Neil Armstrong had not yet stepped on the moon. The setting of the story was 2001, but the year was 1968, so it is incorrect to say that Space Odyssey's time line is at the present. However, you are correct in saying that Arthur C. Clarke's prediction didn't come true.

-RODION

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bcasabee View Post
    Yeah, there were actually two space oddessys, 2001 and 2010. Would 2010 qualify?
    2010: The Year We Make Contact was shown in 1984, not in 2010. So during the time it was shown, 2010 was still 26 years away, making it a movie about the future, not the present.

-RODION

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar
    Can anyone name me a famous science fiction novel or movie (or novel made into a movie) that occurs in the present time (i.e. 2009/2010), NOT in the future?

-RODION
    War of the Worlds. Independence Day. The Matrix trilogy (everyone in the Matrix was in the "present", including you and I). The Andromeda Strain. Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Godzilla. Bicentential Man (encompasses a long timeline). Star Trek: First Contact. 1984. Brave New World. Fahrenheit 451. A Scanner Darkly. Back To the Future (they all came from the present). I could go on and on.

But you really are asking the wrong question. There is no such thing as science-fiction that occurs in the present ... because we are in the present ... and obviously if we are in the present, the written word or the moving picture cannot be in the present. You ask the wrong questions. What science fiction does have is near-future science fiction which bases the fiction in the present with a slight variation. What you are insisting to happen is the kind of entertainment that people have in the movie The Invention of Lying. Seriously. Watch it.

This discussion has become truly repetitive. You want your entertainment accurate ... ala The Invention of Lying. I want my entertainment to be ... wait for it ... entertaining. Am I somehow flawed? ... not right? ... dumber than you? ... less scientific than you? ... less factual than you? My point is ... what is your point? Are you seriously basing your whole argument on the words of the man who voiced Master Shifu in Kung Fu Panda?

DAMNIT! PANDAS DON'T TALK! WHY CAN'T ENTERTAINMENT BE ACCURATE!

So yes, does this all come down to personal preference? ... Yes it does. You have your dull movies. I'll have my Michael Bay Godzilla fighting ninjas on T-Rex in space movies. Wait ... wizard ninjas.
    Last edited by vern; 04-20-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    War of the Worlds. Independence Day. The Matrix trilogy (everyone in the Matrix was in the "present", including you and I). The Andromeda Strain. Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Godzilla. Bicentential Man (encompasses a long timeline). Star Trek: First Contact. 1984. Brave New World. Fahrenheit 451. A Scanner Darkly. Back To the Future (they all came from the present). I could go on and on.

But you really are asking the wrong question. There is no such thing as science-fiction that occurs in the present ... because we are in the present ... and obviously if we are in the present, the written word or the moving picture cannot be in the present. You ask the wrong questions. What science fiction does have is near-future science fiction which bases the fiction in the present with a slight variation. What you are insisting to happen is the kind of entertainment that people have in the movie The Invention of Lying. Seriously. Watch it.

This discussion has become truly repetitive. You want your entertainment accurate ... ala The Invention of Lying. I want my entertainment to be ... wait for it ... entertaining. Am I somehow flawed? ... not right? ... dumber than you? ... less scientific than you? ... less factual than you? My point is ... what is your point? Are you seriously basing your whole argument on the words of the man who voiced Master Shifu in Kung Fu Panda?

DAMNIT! PANDAS DON'T TALK!
    I get your point. Seriously.

-RODION

11.    Advertisement

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast