View Poll Results: Do you agree that parents should be required to plant a tree for each child born?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 63.89%
  • No

13 36.11%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Congress proposal - REQUIRE all parents to plant a tree for each child born to th

Quote Originally Posted by reptoid View Post
    I think you'll find that in most developed countries the education of a child is the legal responsibility of the parent whether this education takes place at a school or within the home is another matter. I think you just proved my point re: vaccinations.
    The parent's responsibility, yes. The State, no. There is a difference.

Actually the state can and does punish you for be lazy... it's generally termed "neglect".
    That's not punishment, that's a result. For example, we have floods because the State neglect improving proper waste disposals and drainage systems and would rather issue laws that are not real solutions. Instead of spending people's taxes on infrastructures that benefit us all including nature.

You're taking an extreme stance for the sake of argument. Who said that trees are more important than your children's rights? How is you paying a few pesos and making a journey to plant a tree in a newly created national park destroying your children's future to the point that you would make them live in a desert? Sounds a bit crazy to be honest bro.
    You miss the idea of that statement. My point is that this bill is never about the environment, it is about the government tinkering with people's lives and infringing their personal rights. ABSOLUTE CONTROL. Of course they cannot tell you this plainly or directly because no man who values his liberty will allow it. So the State has to cover it up with noble-sounding causes like Health and Environment to win the approval of the masses.

The State has declared war on obesity, cigarettes, even food rich in sugar and fat. People are being dictated which food and how much food they should eat. Instead of educating people like what they do in Alcoholics Anonymous they just criminalize everything and in the process those who smoke in public are now criminals. Lets not allow the State to THINK FOR US. Let us not allow ourselves to become drones devoid of common sense and individual responsibility. Which is why I used the desert as a metaphor as better place to live than in a garden society where it looks beautiful on the outside but its people on the inside are subservient to a totalitarian State.

I suggest reading Orwell's 1984, Aldous Huxley materials, Ayn Rand, Voltaire and articles about personal freedoms and big-government.

Default Re: Congress proposal - REQUIRE all parents to plant a tree for each child born to th

Tree planting for every born child? Good idea but I think there will be problems on the implementation. First, where will the families plant trees? In parks? In their private properties? In inalienable public lands? Side roads? Second, After planting ... then what? Who will take care of the trees? Third, how will the government generate funds for this project? who will administer? How will it be disbursed?

I do believe that the planting of Trees can be an advocacy for every Filipino! Hence, the government should put more funds into Bureau of Plants and Industry so that it can grow seedlings, plant trees and pay local people, not necessarily BPI employees, to take care of the planted trees. Only in this way can we look forward to a green Philippines. There is much to learn from Puerto Princesa and the like in methods like planting trees.

Why? Quite obviously because this hypothetical park is paid for from the tree fund and not from income tax or VAT. You can't have it both ways, pay and use it or don't pay and don't use it, simple.

"Live like me or else". Lol... which part of opt-out did you not understand?
    In that hypothetical park, taxes from any form are still redirected to countless government projects regardless of where it came from. It is still money which can be used outside the intended purpose. It is too naive that these "Tree Fund" are solely used for or even enough to build, maintain and expand such a colossal economic anomaly. Where would the government place these national parks?

Quote Originally Posted by masterjanuarius View Post
    Tree planting for every born child? Good idea but I think there will be problems on the implementation. First, where will the families plant trees? In parks? In their private properties? In inalienable public lands? Side roads? Second, After planting ... then what? Who will take care of the trees? Third, how will the government generate funds for this project? who will administer? How will it be disbursed?

I do believe that the planting of Trees can be an advocacy for every Filipino! Hence, the government should put more funds into Bureau of Plants and Industry so that it can grow seedlings, plant trees and pay local people, not necessarily BPI employees, to take care of the planted trees. Only in this way can we look forward to a green Philippines. There is much to learn from Puerto Princesa and the like in methods like planting trees.
    I think its better if we let private businesses to sell seedlings... more growers means a market competition which will keep prices naturally low... If it is done by government agencies, these seedlings may be sold at artificially low prices which may cause a net liability in the national economy.

Okay, firstly when I say state I am referring to the state in an international context.

Quote Originally Posted by machinecult View Post
    The parent's responsibility, yes. The State, no. There is a difference.
    The parent is legally liable for the well-being including the education of the child. This is an almost universal principle.

That's not punishment, that's a result. For example, we have floods because the State neglect improving proper waste disposals and drainage systems and would rather issue laws that are not real solutions. Instead of spending people's taxes on infrastructures that benefit us all including nature.
    Neglect of duty resulting in damage to person or property constitutes grounds for civil or criminal charges.

You miss the idea of that statement. My point is that this bill is never about the environment, it is about the government tinkering with people's lives and infringing their personal rights. ABSOLUTE CONTROL. Of course they cannot tell you this plainly or directly because no man who values his liberty will allow it. So the State has to cover it up with noble-sounding causes like Health and Environment to win the approval of the masses.

The State has declared war on obesity, cigarettes, even food rich in sugar and fat. People are being dictated which food and how much food they should eat. Instead of educating people like what they do in Alcoholics Anonymous they just criminalize everything and in the process those who smoke in public are now criminals. Lets not allow the State to THINK FOR US. Let us not allow ourselves to become drones devoid of common sense and individual responsibility. Which is why I used the desert as a metaphor as better place to live than in a garden society where it looks beautiful on the outside but its people on the inside are subservient to a totalitarian State.

I suggest reading Orwell's 1984, Aldous Huxley materials, Ayn Rand, Voltaire and articles about personal freedoms and big-government.
    I've read 1984 and Philippines is a million miles from that scenario. Maybe you should be expressing your rage about North Korea they seem a better target for your criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by emow View Post
    In that hypothetical park, taxes from any form are still redirected to countless government projects regardless of where it came from. It is still money which can be used outside the intended purpose. It is too naive that these "Tree Fund" are solely used for or even enough to build, maintain and expand such a colossal economic anomaly. Where would the government place these national parks?
    It's not naive at all, it's remarkably simple and just requires a trust separate from government coffers.

Okay, firstly when I say state I am referring to the state in an international context.
    The parent is legally liable for the well-being including the education of the child. This is an almost universal principle.
    Government is government. International or local. Both do not have any right to adjust and distort personal rights. Whether some parents want their children educated at home, in private or public schools.

Neglect of duty resulting in damage to person or property constitutes grounds for civil or criminal charges.
    I think you're fault finding here. A lazy person does equate to being destructive. Being lazy in itself is not a criminal offense, lets not accuse him of any crime he has not committed just because he's lazy. I see you have already found grounds to criminalized lazy people? lol.

I've read 1984 and Philippines is a million miles from that scenario. Maybe you should be expressing your rage about North Korea they seem a better target for your criticism.
    What 1984 and Philippines?

I'm not on a rage here. I'm having a discussion with you. And why should I bother with North Korea when my own people are being 'submarined' by ideologies as sinister as Communism and Fascism disguised as health and environmentalism?

BTW, in DPRK they can smoke in public which I think is funny because in our so-called democracy this personal responsibility has already been erradicated.

I think you, I and emow have dominated this thread for long enough. I've stated my support for the basic principle of this tree planting bill and I hope others will also support. That's all.

Contact your respective representatives in congress to oppose the bill.

Blog Entries

How about supporting these bills instead?

HB00438
    AN ACT INSTITUTING A SELF-SUSTAINING FOREST MANAGEMENT PROGRAM, BY PROVIDING INCENTIVES TO TREE PLANTERS ON PRIVATE LANDS, FOREST LANDS, AND OTHER PUBLIC LANDS AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

Principal Author: ANGARA, JUAN EDGARDO MANALANG
    Main Referral: REFORESTATION
    Status: Pending with the Committee on REFORESTATION since 2010-07-27
    http://congress.gov.ph/download/basic_15/HB00438.pdf

HB01146
    AN ACT ESTABLISHING A COMMUNITY ORCHARD IN EVERY CITY OR MUNICIPALITY OF EVERY PROVINCE OF THE PHILIPPINES, ALLOCATING FUNDS THEREFOR, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

Principal Author: VILLAFUERTE, LUIS ROBREDO
    Status: Pending with the Committee on REFORESTATION since 2010-08-02
    http://congress.gov.ph/download/basic_15/HB01146.pdf

HB01194
    AN ACT INSTITUTING THE SUBDIVISION GREEN PARKS PROGRAM, GRANTING INCENTIVES FOR THE PLANTING OF TREES AND THE DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF FORESTED AREAS IN SUBDIVISIONS AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

Principal Author: TEODORO, MARCELINO REYES
    Status: Under study by the Technical Working Group(TWG) on 2011-05-03
    http://congress.gov.ph/download/basic_15/HB01194.pdf

HB02236
    AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT, DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF GREEN AREAS IN ALL RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL CONDOMINIUM PROJECTS NATIONWIDE, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE REPUBLIC ACT NO. 4726 OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE CONDOMINIUM LAW, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

Principal Author: TEODORO, MARCELINO REYES
    Status: Under study by the Technical Working Group(TWG) on 2011-05-03
    http://congress.gov.ph/download/basic_15/HB02236.pdf

HB02577
    AN ACT TO REQUIRE EVERY STUDENT TO PLANT TREES EVERY YEAR

Principal Author: RODRIGUEZ, RUFUS BAUTISTA
    Status: Pending with the Committee on REFORESTATION since 2010-08-24
    http://congress.gov.ph/download/basic_15/HB02577.pdf

HB04330
    AN ACT REVIVING THE OBSERVANCE OF ARBOR DAY BY VESTING IN PROVINCIAL, CITY AND MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENTS THE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR CELEBRATING THE DAY FOR TREE PLANTING AS AN ANNUAL EVENT

Principal Author: VILLAFUERTE, LUIS ROBREDO
    Main Referral: RULES
    Status: Approved by the House on 2011-03-23, transmitted to on 2011-03-29 and received by the Senate on 2011-03-29
    http://congress.gov.ph/download/billtext_15/hbt4330.pdf

HB05485
    AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE PROTECTION, REHABILITATION, AND SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF FOREST ECOSYSTEM AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

Principal Author: RODRIGUEZ, RUFUS BAUTISTA
    Main Referral: RULES
    Status: Approved by the House on 2011-12-13, transmitted to on 2011-12-15 and received by the Senate on 2011-12-15
    http://congress.gov.ph/download/billtext_15/hbt5485.pdf

11.    Advertisement

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast