View RSS Feed

tatskie

Host Your Own Virtual Private Network on RPI with OpenVPN

Rate this Entry
A VPN or Virtual Private Network secures your internet connection from prying eyes, especially when traveling or using unsecured wireless networks.

VPN gives extremely secure connections between private networks linked through the Internet. It allows remote computers to act as though they were on the same secure, local network. Allows you to be at home and access your company’s computers in the same way, as if you were sitting at work, and vice versa.

OpenVPN is an open-source software application that implements virtual private network (VPN) techniques for creating secure point-to-point or site-to-site connections in routed or bridged configurations and remote access facilities. It uses a custom security protocol that utilizes SSL/TLS for key exchange. It is capable of traversing network address translators (NATs) and firewalls.

On RPI (Server Configuration):

[More]

Comments

you are inviting danger my friend. Open VPN is luring you to open your defense. It can sneak into your computer anytime when you get connected. So stay off from open VPN.
    Hmmm... Are you talking about OpenVPN or open VPN? . I've been using it for many years and so far I don't see any security issues with it. If it has, then it defeats the purpose of having a VPN.

I think it would be helpful if you could expound more.
    Updated 11-26-2015 at 03:09 PM by tatskie
    i'm talking about the vulnerabilities that can be exploited on an Open source application. I would assume if i am not mistaken your Open VPN you are referring is using self signed certificate or Open SSL encryption. Those things has vulnerabilities that can be exploited that could later danger your protected data. but of course there are tons of events in the internet, you are still lucky not being notice.
    The main purpose is for your private browsing/access tunneling to your home or any private network. I don't see a risk of using self-signed certificates if you are going to use one. The public don't even know where you are connecting/connected to - that's the whole point of having a VPN.

So far, there's no such issues with OpenVPN; so I think that is something not to worry about.

You should worry more when you are using public networks such as Wi-Fi networks at the cafes, schools, airports, etc when you are doing your banking transactions.
    well anyway i am just sharing my thoughts, but of course you are free to do what you think is best for you. No hard feelings, but security is very big that you need enterprise tools to analyze and understand what i am saying. There's something you can't see and can not understand if you don't have the right tools to analyze. Have you heard of heartbleed? it is an encryption type of bug for those who are using open SSL. That's were the exploits comes in. By the OpenVPN uses open SSL. Don't get me wrong i'm just sharing my thoughts.
    No worries, I got what you mean. Just wanted to make sure that whoever reads our comments won't get mislead, specially those who don't know anything about network security other than passwords.

I would just like to emphasize that, even if it's an open-source SW using open-source security applications and self-signed certificates, it is still way better than nothing at all.

Every now and then bugs/vulnerabilities will be uncovered and we have to deal with it and fix it. It's something not exclusive to open-source apps.

But good point.
    I know another efficient method to stay protected. Use app blocker [url]https://truelocker.onelink.me/GRVR/82f3fd24[/url] . At the moment, you can get it for free. Just follow the link and install it on your phone. You will receive two big benefits – you will protect your content from other users and you will be able to block sites you want to avoid. As a result, your efficiency will grow.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top