View RSS Feed

Ink | Pen | Paper

An excuse to write.

1. What 'Summer' Means In the Philippines

NOTE: Before you read this entry, take note that I am only talking about the northern hemisphere here--there's a totally opposite thing going on in the southern hemisphere, below the equator, but to avoid confusion, I shall not mention about that in this entry, so please also don't comment about that fact below, because I shall tackle that specific point in a later entry.

I've fond memories of summer in the Philippines as a child. They were ones filled with long hours of gung-ho bicycle-riding, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Update

Yes, I'm still alive, but really busy down south in Davao City. Considering that I don't live in Cebu City anymore, then I don't really have anything to contribute much to the forum anymore, save for intermittent blog entries about whatnot. However, I still wish to utilize this little corner as part of my toolbox for science advocacy. I've noticed that my entries that are more or less related to science and technology have been getting a good number of views, so I have decided to keep posting more ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Science Facts about the Recent Bohol/Cebu Quake

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    - Technically, the intensity of the tremor in Cebu City itself is NOT 7.2--it was between 5-6 (the closer to Bohol that part of the city is, the higher the intensity). The area that received the highest intensity rating is none other than the epicenter, which was in Bohol island itself. Just want to clarify. If Cebu City was hit by a 7+ intensity quake, you'd see major damage (i.e. toppling of some skyscrapers, like what happened in Baguio in the 1990's) to large buildings due to the low frequency
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Newton Be Your Homie (or How to Enjoy and Appreciate the Movie "Gravity" While Still Grimacing at the Inaccuracies)

First off however, I would like to tell those who haven't seen the film, not to read this entry because obviously, it may spoil the movie for you. That being said, I wish to say that if you don't know anything about the movie, the best thing you can do is not to watch any of the trailers! Really, don't watch them. The trailers alone already somewhat spoiled the movie for me--considering what I know about space exploration and space simulations, watching the trailers practically told me half the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Am I Any Better at Dealing with Life Now?

Perhaps people wonder if I have somehow 'changed' my outlook on life, ever since I've been more vocal about my atheism (or 'agnostic atheism' if others want a more 'thin-sliced' version...personally I don't really think there is a major distinction). Actually, not much has changed--I have to admit that haven't really improved much on anything. Despite all that I 'preach' about the scientific method and the power of 'data collection and analysis', I would have to say that I'm a rather poor example ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Back in the Saddle

After almost nine years of not riding bicycles, I'm now getting back into road cycling. I'll be blogging and/or photo-blogging about my road/mountain bike adventures in and around Davao City (and perhaps soon, even Cebu City).

To help me plot my bike courses and trails around Davao, I recently installed an Android app called MapMyRide (http://www.mapmyride.com) into my Sony Xperia S. With it, I can share my routes...

Updated 03-12-2013 at 11:43 PM by rodsky

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Untitled #2

It's truly ironic that most people who adopt the "No Fear" slogan or mantra, are actually spiritual or religious. True fearlessness is accepting a universe that has no intent, no purpose, and no grand design by some great designer, and GETTING ALONG FINE WITH THAT IDEA, and not terrified that there is absolutely no meaning to life.

Not that I am declaring that I'm fearless--I fear a lot of things, but then, in a way, fear is a HEALTHY thing--it is a natural mechanism, an ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top