Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default beware of photo theft

while in the traditional art scene, copying and faking art is a norm. sales of fake artworks from master artists to simple housewives works go up to ten of millions each year. these significantly increased when artworks started to be published in the internet as electronic data is making the art fraud and theft market much simpler.

personally, i’m used to downloading great images by local and international photographers from the internet. i use these to teach myself and as basis for my photography. but lately, i found out that a lot of photos are being stolen or used by people other than the photographer. a bad case happened wherein the original photographer was the one sued by another using his own photo! research led me to conclude the following:

- exif data can easily be changed or manipulated
    - electronic watermarks can be deleted or changed
    - photos as low res as 300 x 300 pixels can still be printed in books or magazines, small posters, cards and small prints.
    - photos 500 x 500 pixels and larger can be interpolated and sold as original photos or used as personal folios by new or unscrupulous photographers

if you have experiences or ideas regarding this matter, please post here. this topic is very interesting.

thanks

Default Re: beware of photo theft

haha i dont care if they steal one of my pics hehee i know everybody can do what i can do, i dont w/ other pro's out there can accept that

I found an ftv segment where my shoot and photos were credited to another photographer

But it was more of a case of mistaken identity. The guys at ftv rectified the rogue video...
    ...but by just adding my name to the title!!!

Oh, well. So much for my big ftv premier

Anyway, here's the corrected video...

Photographers Binh Nguyen and Eisen Job Alquiza Photo Shoot Bebe Pham

The first half of the segment with the jeepney is Binh's while the make-up and camera scenes are from my shoot.

Thanks to pknoize and crashburn for helping out :mrgreen:... you'll be given due credit when it hits the stands.

koto 18 years ago i felt the same way. was a new artist with no sales nor credentials to my name. it took 5 years into my career when i had my first sale thus putting me into the next level of being a professional or "whore" (according to ken). i never had and never will be hypocritical with regards to enjoying the money made on the things that I do.

here is a fictional situation: 3 - 5 years from now a magazine photo editor calls you because she saw and like one of your photo post and offers you a hefty contract to do a pictorial. i don’t think you’ll be stupid enough to decline so you go through with it. the agreement part takes you to all the legalities of photo ownership designed primarily to protect YOUR rights. you would never allow them to take advantage of you, right?

here’s another fictional situation: 3 – 5 years from now, you win a prestigious international photo contest. you get the call and celebrated with family and friends. then just hours before awarding night you get another call that you’ve just been disqualified as another photographer claimed the photo and has exif data proof. what do you do?

bottomline is that each photo is your property – much like the dlsr your holding and the pc your looking at right now. all over the world, intellectual rights to photos, art, music, dance, etc. is a very big thing and something you should be importantly aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by adjong
    koto 18 years ago i felt the same way. was a new artist with no sales nor credentials to my name. it took 5 years into my career when i had my first sale thus putting me into the next level of being a professional or "whore" (according to ken). i never had and never will be hypocritical with regards to enjoying the money made on the things that I do.

here is a fictional situation: 3 - 5 years from now a magazine photo editor calls you because she saw and like one of your photo post and offers you a hefty contract to do a pictorial. i don’t think you’ll be stupid enough to decline so you go through with it. the agreement part takes you to all the legalities of photo ownership designed primarily to protect YOUR rights. you would never allow them to take advantage of you, right?

here’s another fictional situation: 3 – 5 years from now, you win a prestigious international photo contest. you get the call and celebrated with family and friends. then just hours before awarding night you get another call that you’ve just been disqualified as another photographer claimed the photo and has exif data proof. what do you do?

bottomline is that each photo is your property – much like the dlsr your holding and the pc your looking at right now. all over the world, intellectual rights to photos, art, music, dance, etc. is a very big thing and something you should be importantly aware of.
    yup, thats a good point and situational example u made is well said, (kasabot ko ana nga situation, cuz im a flash animator and illustrator, for a foriegn english translation book, though we made the artwork for them, for the visual presentation, after ma submit namo ang artwork WALA gyud mi credit sa libro na kami ato ang ga buhat sa artworks or animation, instead na pa gyud false name sa artist sa book illustration and animation ang gi use hehee some strange foriegn name ang gi butang sa artistname, bisag kami ang ga buhat hehee anyway kataw-an lang namo cuz gi sweldohan sad btaw mi and we know that we made that Sh**t hehee.. ) pero sala man sad na sa owner sa photographer nga nanao wala niya na himo paa agi nga ma secure iyang mga photo's, how i wish nga all DSLR or even all digital cam have an additional option for picture security or personal image auto licensing, hehee.. ( i always dream hehee.. ) ( right now where putting hidden names sa amo mga vector illustration & flash animation hehee para nasad mi proof gamay hehee just in case.)

You can input your name, contact|copyright info directly into Nikon dSLRs from the menu.
    The camera then encodes them into your photos.

Canon dSLRs can do the same thing but your limited to just your name and it has to be
    done from the PC wired to your camera through remote capture.

But your camera serial numbers are encoded into the photos as well.

I don't know about Sony though but they should have something similar.

The info can be viewed, like in ACDSee, under Canon Maker Notes...

But I noticed this part of the exif gets lost after going through photoshop. So I always
    burn a disk of photos straight from the camera for proof before doing anything.

@abort - i knew it. you're a pro. neways, that "mis"credit sucked like paris hilton (now you're wondering if that's a bad thing). it's nice to know that they rectified the vid credits. do you shoot film still?

when you post photos on your website, disable the right click option para dili ma copya imo photos.

mga master..what is this licensing thing called CREATIVE COMMONS? will it really helps copyrighting your photos?

Quote Originally Posted by abortretryfail
    You can input your name, contact|copyright info directly into Nikon dSLRs from the menu.
    The camera then encodes them into your photos.

Canon dSLRs can do the same thing but your limited to just your name and it has to be
    done from the PC wired to your camera through remote capture.

But your camera serial numbers are encoded into the photos as well.

I don't know about Sony though but they should have something similar.

The info can be viewed, like in ACDSee, under Canon Maker Notes...

But I noticed this part of the exif gets lost after going through photoshop. So I always
    burn a disk of photos straight from the camera for proof before doing anything.
    WAAA!!!! Pro gyud ka!!! hheee thnX sa info, ill try to research more sa sony nga software basin naa did2

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast