• Ubuntu Netbook Remix

2 33.33%
  • HP MiE

0 0%
  • Others

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Netbook Optimized Distros

Thought I'd share. I fell in love with Moblin and am about to get my first netbook just to be able to use it. While doing research on it, I found links to other netbook optimized distros, so here you go:

1. Moblin Join the moblin development community | moblin.org

Demo: YouTube - Moblin 2.0 Netbook Beta Introduction

2. Jolicloud Jolicloud

Review: YouTube - The Ultimate Netbook Operating System: Jolicloud

3. HP MiE (for HP netbooks) Select software and drivers HP Mini 1120NR PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

4. Ubuntu Netbook Remix (without the Jolicloud GUI) Download Ubuntu Netbook Remix | Ubuntu

5. Suse Moblin Moblin - openSUSE

6. EasyPeasy http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

Let's share our experiences with and opinions about netbook OS's. Which do you think is the best?
    Last edited by dubioz; 03-22-2010 at 12:16 AM.

I chose UNR or Ubuntu. I feel the Ubuntu community is really massive and you can get help faster. Also most applications or packages I use are by default in their repositories.

I've tried Moblin 2.x and although I like the UI, the wireless is very intermittent. I use an Asus EEE PC 1005HA and within 30 mins. of use time, the wireless disconnected-reconnected about 5-6 times. This is very inconvenient for me.

Right now, though, I'm using Puppy Linux. It's really small and fast and no need to install to HDD, it can run on a USB stick. Talk about convenience! There is a variant of it called Puppeee tailored for EEE PC. I'm using BoxPuppeee because I prefer the Openbox WM to the default. As much as I like it, I find it's really hard to add packages maybe because I'm used to the Debian way of adding stuff. Also, most apps I want to use are not in it's repository so you may have to install from source, which can be daunting.

Nindot ang Moblin kay user-friendly kaayo. Sayang kay kailangan nga naay SSE3 imo CPU. I think pwede ra ilisan ang kernel unya Moblin ra gihapon ang GUI, pero hassle pa pag-install.

Quote Originally Posted by simoncpu View Post
    Nindot ang Moblin kay user-friendly kaayo. Sayang kay kailangan nga naay SSE3 imo CPU. I think pwede ra ilisan ang kernel unya Moblin ra gihapon ang GUI, pero hassle pa pag-install.
    pwede ra man siguro ka mag install ug Fedora then yum lang ang Moblin UI. pero wa pa nako ni na try. hehe

Gi-modify nako ang installer para mo-fetch ug sources sa Debian, pero palpaks... hahaha... mo sulay ko usab....

Well, no more Moblin. Merge na with Maemo to make MeeGo .

if you want a netbook ready os with debian sources try eeebuntu.org bt remember its still in the beta stage but the more users the faster they can catch bugs and stuff.

Eeebuntu 4.0 was the first netbook distro to switch to debian as its base.

Elite Member
    i lyk UNR kinsa UNR users dri? unsai inyo mga views i need some inputs coz am planning to buy a netbook soon... BTW am planning to buy MSI u230..

^bago pa kaayo nga nga model ang last listed model sa unr wiki kay u100

for this model (u100) mao ni feedback sa wiki: Works good up to Jaunty, but major issues with Karmic!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...20Wind%20L2100

Just thought I'd post this... Was going to build an atom nettop but most mobos come with 64 bit while Meego is only 32 bit. Solution:

SMEEGOL SUSE's interpretation of Meego. Download here:

Mirror List

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast