Default Easy reading books for learning Cebuano / Bisaya

Do you know of any books, novels, or short stories for learning Cebuano?

I've been living here in Philippines for 8 months. I'm also picking up Cebuano / Bisaya language as I travel around the Visayas region. More recently I have started skype lessons to further improve my spoken abilities.

If I could have some Cebuano / Bisaya book-reading time, I think that will help boost my overall vocab and understanding of sentence structure.

I have been quite surprised to walk into several bookshops here in Cebu city to not find one single book in Bisaya. I'm very curious, do Cebuanos just prefer to read in Tagalog/English? Perhaps the book stores are "playing it safe" like in the schools - were Cebuano teaching is simply not encouraged/allowed?

If you could recommend a shop, blog, or online store where I could read Cebuano / Bisaya books I would be very appreciative.

Hello. Recently I read one article about the Philippines and in this article, I saw a list of sources for learning Cebuano. You can Get More Information here. Hope this will help you.

You can visit the University of San Carlos Press in Nasipit Talamban, duol rana siya sa Gate 4..daplin sa ra dalan...look for maam Tina...actually inig sulod nimo sa office..si maam Tina rai taw diha..hehehhe

U can also call or visit the Sun Star office...u can inquire if they still have available copies of the Cebuano Dictionary...

You'll learn faster if you read the local tabloids and listen to the am radio. just have your dictionary or google translate handy. and of course practice speaking with the locals.

Ok thanks guys. I've been reading SunStar superbalita news, and listening to bisaya drama on youtube. So far so good.

Still find it hard to believe that there's not one novel written in Bisaya, when there's over 20 million native speakers alive today.

Quote Originally Posted by camiguin View Post
    Ok thanks guys. I've been reading SunStar superbalita news, and listening to bisaya drama on youtube. So far so good.

Still find it hard to believe that there's not one novel written in Bisaya, when there's over 20 million native speakers alive today.
    Bisaya Magasin / Mga Nobela

Quote Originally Posted by camiguin View Post

Lisud gyud siya pangitaon kay tago man gud kaayo unya katong mga daan na kaayong mga lumpunid nawala na tungod sa kataas nas panahon, ug ang uban naapil og kasunog sa katong pagka igo sa Cebu sa ikaduhang gubat sa kalibutan. Dunay nay daghang mga balak binisaya sa sigpukut usa kini siya.

9.    Advertisement