Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hate to destroy the mutant trait dream, but gene manipulation is only possible during embryonic stage, which means us fully developed humans can't benefit from it. Womp Womp. It would probably change as this kind of technology improves. But we would be long dead by then

That question is, will the future mutant babies ask for this?

I can see scenarios of people suing their parents for this.

Mutants will be born

Quote Originally Posted by igibouy View Post
    Hate to destroy the mutant trait dream, but gene manipulation is only possible during embryonic stage, which means us fully developed humans can't benefit from it. Womp Womp. It would probably change as this kind of technology improves. But we would be long dead by then

That question is, will the future mutant babies ask for this?

I can see scenarios of people suing their parents for this.
    But lets say you and your wife are prone to having a baby that will most likely to have a hereditary disease. Would you risk to have (human embryo) be modified knowing the consequences of modifying the genes will eradicate the disease but will result to some mutation?

Quote Originally Posted by yhokz101 View Post
    But lets say you and your wife are prone to having a baby that will most likely to have a hereditary disease. Would you risk to have (human embryo) be modified knowing the consequences of modifying the genes will eradicate the disease but will result to some mutation?
    I don't know. Depends on the disease, I guess. But still, even if it is more preferable there are too many unknowns.

If there are no side effects, then sure. Why not? Everyone will be doing it--the ones who can afford it anyway. Then we lax our designer baby laws. Then we extend our idea of 'design' past curing diseases to aesthetics and performance. Then we see individuals that are smarter, stronger, taller, fairer. Only the richest can afford the best designer babies. Castes will be made. Social divide will be far greater than our upper/lower class people. If the dominant humans would suddenly stop considering the lower class as equal, bad shit will happen.

There would also be long term effects if we lower the human gene diversity. Humanity might face a sudden catastrophe if all of us have common DNA.

Too many unknowns.

I don't know. Depends on the disease, I guess. But still, even if it is more preferable there are too many unknowns.

If there are no side effects, then sure. Why not? Everyone will be doing it--the ones who can afford it anyway. Then we lax our designer baby laws. Then we extend our idea of 'design' past curing diseases to aesthetics and performance. Then we see individuals that are smarter, stronger, taller, fairer. Only the richest can afford the best designer babies. Castes will be made. Social divide will be far greater than our upper/lower class people. If the dominant humans would suddenly stop considering the lower class as equal, bad shit will happen.

There would also be long term effects if we lower the human gene diversity. Humanity might face a sudden catastrophe if all of us have common DNA.

Too many unknowns.
    you are exactly talking about a similar movie Gatacca, pareha ra gyud ug plot and scenario which by the way cuold be our future... sad and exciting in some way

Good reply bro...

Quote Originally Posted by yhokz101 View Post
    you are exactly talking about a similar movie Gatacca, pareha ra gyud ug plot and scenario which by the way cuold be our future... sad and exciting in some way

Good reply bro...

Mao ba? I'll go watch that

Too many unknowns.
    Sakto, pero dystopian and drastic ra sad kaayo ni nga worldview, especially about ,eugenics, socioeconomic castes and all. I'm not discounting the fact that those things can happen, but mas nalipay ko ani as this will be an avenue for medical breakthroughs, especially katong mga degenerative diseases na hangtud karon wala gihapo'y cure (Alzheimer's disease, ALS, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by darthskroder View Post
    Sakto, pero dystopian and drastic ra sad kaayo ni nga worldview, especially about ,eugenics, socioeconomic castes and all. I'm not discounting the fact that those things can happen, but mas nalipay ko ani as this will be an avenue for medical breakthroughs, especially katong mga degenerative diseases na hangtud karon wala gihapo'y cure (Alzheimer's disease, ALS, etc).
    The medical possibilities are encouraging, yes. but this is a potential double-edged sword. We can only see the short term benefits. A lot of thought need to be done first.

The medical possibilities are encouraging, yes. but this is a potential double-edged sword. We can only see the short term benefits. A lot of thought need to be done first.
    I agree on the "double-edged sword effect. And it is high times that people in this field will have a very serious discussion on this on what boundaries they are going to with respect to ethical aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigor Mortis View Post
    waaaahh, dghan possibilities ani from medical to vanity,
    bcn sobrag edit kita nalng human mismo mag dismantle sa ato kaugalingon pdng death nato. Kng pwede ma edit pod ang death.

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast