Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Join fencing, make new friends... then stab them!

Always start it
    Run around with pointy objects
    Hit other people
    Fencing... everything your parents told you not to do

Cross blades with us at CEBU FENCING LEAGUE

Beginners Lessons available at ₱1,800 for 10 sessions

For girls and boys ages 10 to 100
    Limited basic fencing gear available for use during lessons
    Personal fencing equipment may be ordered through Cebu Fencing League
    Contact Sacred Heart Sports Center (3rd level Sacred Heart Center, Jakosalem Street) to enroll at 268-8643

For inquiries about the sport you may post here

Saturday Training August 1, 2015

Why Fence?

Health
    Fencing is a great way to incorporate exercise into your life. The pace is fast and intense. It is a physically demanding sport and will provide aerobic exercise and improve the cardiovascular system. An excellent fencer must be flexible and graceful, and have top endurance. It improves ones speed, ability, and reflexes. The muscles which are used the most are the buttocks, stomach, and thighs. It also requires stamina and coordination. Fencing also relieves stress, which lowers blood pressure. It’s just a plain old fun way to get into (or stay in) shape!

Mental Workout

Fencing is a sport that calls heavily on logic. It’s often referred to as physical chess. It’s strategy driven. Each bout between two fencers is a show of cause and effect. One move produces a response in the opponent, and their move causes a response in you. Decisions must be made quickly and in the heat of the moment. Fencing absolutely increases focus and concentration, as well as the powers of observation. It also develops self assurance and discipline. The mind must constantly work and build its decision making skills. Building on these skills can improve ones performance in many other aspects of daily life. Judging and anticipating situations, and building intuition will help in social circles as well as the workplace.

Competition

One of the main draws of the sport for many people is to compete and become champions. Fencing is an Olympic sport, and anyone can get there with enough work and determination. There are local competitions and national competitions for fencers of all ages, and winning that first gold medal is something no person will forget. Some people choose to compete to feel that they’ve accomplished something as an individual (as opposed to winning by being part of a team), while others take pleasure in the equality fencing provides. Women may fence men, and up-and-coming young fencers may find themselves paired up with older, more experienced fencers who have established reputations.

Value of Skill Over Physical Attributes
    Size doesn’t matter between fencers–only skill. A well-trained fencer can bout against any opponent, older or younger, bigger or smaller, shorter or taller. While some sports may be limiting to people if they don’t fit the typical physical criteria, anyone can become a champion fencer.

Confidence

When you fence, someone is literally charging at you with a weapon. You develop the boldness and self-confidence to meet that charge, defend yourself against it, and not shy away. Fencing also relies on posture and balance. We teach our students to stand up straight and tall, and the instant change in demeanor in going from a slouch to a proud stance is palpable.

Social Benefits

A fencing club is a wonderful way to meet people and make friends. You’ll encounter people from all walks of life, and the uncommon shared interest of fencing makes bonds form quickly. Club members often become friends, and if you choose to compete, you’ll meet people from all over the country and the world. Fencing can even be a team sport! A few people can join together and compete as one unit during team competitions.

Benefits for Children

Fencing is a great sport for children because it appeals to their sense of play in a non-violent way. It also provides positive interaction with other peers and adults. They will also learn that without enough effort, they will become their own obstacle to success. Learning this lesson early in life will pay off! It teaches self-responsibility because only the fencer can score a point. No one can do it for them. This is also one of the few sports that parents can learn along with their children!
    Finally, of course, if you ask any fencer, they’ll tell you that it’s fun!
    Last edited by abortretryfail; 08-04-2015 at 09:49 AM.

TRIVIA TUESDAY: Behind the marksman's bullet, the tip of a fencing blade is the second fastest-moving object in Olympic sports.

The Weapons of Fencing

ÉPÉE

The dueling sword of fencing, initially reflected a need for a weapon that taught practical fighting technique
    for the private affairs of honor.

Derived from the rapier...

...long-bladed sword designed exclusively for thrusting, the rapier set the fencing world on its ear. For centuries,
    swords had been envisioned as edged weapons, designed for cutting important parts off of one's opponent. Suddenly,
    men were poking neat, lethal holes in one another.

The rapier was the typical weapon for a musketeer...

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3eRWGb6RmJg/TmxfioRx_9I/AAAAAAAAARQ/EcjPfm5Xr-g*******the3muskats.jpg[/IMG]

FOIL

A blunt tipped, flexible sword designed specifically for training purposes - the mechanics of swordplay could be
    explored and practiced to a much greater degree.

Developed for training in the use of the 18th century small sword. Also known as the court sword
    as it was part of dress of men of noble stature.

The fencing master became a learned man of breeding, a combination teacher, historian, artist, scientist and
    philosopher, and the fencing school became a place where noble families sent their sons to gain refinement.

An evolution of the rapier, the court sword made for more faster and versatile sword fighting. It was looked upon
    as the epitome of killing implements as featured in Count of Monte Cristo...

SABRE

Broadswords, sabres, and cutlasses were used extensively in military circles, especially by cavalry and naval personnel, and saw some dueling application in these circles as well.

For both cutting as well as thrusting it is the choice weapon of Zorro...

Is it time for fencing yet?

Join us Saturdays 3:30pm at the 3rd level of Sacred Heart Center, Jakosalem st., Cebu City

Happy [belated] Birthday to Bruce Dickinson!!!

At the age of 23 he was ranked No. 7 in Britain... and he's also the lead singer of Iron Maiden.

"I fence because I enjoy it, and the by-product is that I end up getting in reasonably good shape. Actually, fencing is very similar to the way I run around on stage. Or maybe I run around on stage like that because I fence. Either way, it works for me."

"I'm an aggressive defensive fencer. Since I'm rather short I have to try and get the opponent to make mistakes all the time. I am irritating, very intense and energetic."

It’s rumored that he was even invited to join the Olympic team, but declined because of Iron Maiden touring commitments.

Seeing this makes me want to take fence again!!

Nice!!

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast