Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Tommy Osmeña's thoughts about our current Drainage System

Hi everyone, the heavy rains today made me think about the current state of our city's drainage, and I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you.

Drainage management has always been an issue in Cebu City. As I'm sure you know (especially today), it is one of the aspects of city management that affects the lives of almost every Cebuano.

Historically, government's approach to handling drainage is flawed because its process is reactive. Typically, it goes like this: first a particular barangay or location complains of flooding. As a reaction, the government will install a drainage system or improve the one already in place.

Sounds logical, because (maybe) the flood will stop in that area.

But here's the catch: the water does not return to the sky. Instead, it goes to a lower level. That lower level that might never have previously suffered from flooding, now does.

The flooding in downtown Colon is not because of the rain the fell in Colon, it's because of the rain that fell in Lahug. The Lahug river becomes so filled that it overflows into the streets.

The rains that fall in the Capitol area flow into Sambag I and Sambag II.
    Maria Luisa floods Banilad.
    Cebu Business Park floods Mabolo.
    Alta Vista floods Pardo.
    Tisa and Labangon flood Mambaling, and so on.

So the more drainage systems you install in the high parts of the city, the bigger the problems you create for the coastal barangays.

The solution is to impound or delay the flow of water that goes downhill. This is just to allow time for the lowest-capacity drainage system to clear out its area and to prevent it from being overwhelmed.

How do we do this? My proposal to to build an underground system of large cisterns (water-holding tanks) to store the water instead of letting it flood the streets during heavy rain. When the rain stops, water can be slowly pumped out of the cisterns and channeled to the sea via traditional drainage systems.

It usually does not rain for an extended period of time here in Cebu, so the cisterns do not have to be extremely large for this to work.

As a bonus, a small amount of water can be left in the tank to act as a reserve supply in case of fire.

This is not a new idea. South Korea, which also suffers from flooding and has some of the most advanced infrastructure in the world, has been doing this for years.

Before my term ended, I had already identified ideal locations for the cisterns. Building them under the South Road would solve the majority of drainage problems for people living in the South. For the North, the cisterns would be built under the Abellana Sports Complex and under San José de la Montaña St. in Mabolo.

Unfortunately, my term ended before these projects were implemented and the current administration has shown no interest in advancing it.

I hope this helps you better understand the issue of drainage and I hope that despite the floods you're all OK!

Source:

sugod nag ukay ang mga issue sa gobernong palpak...

sa 9 years stint as mayor additional 3 years sa congress wala jud cya nakasulbad ani.. unya karon mopagarpar nasad ni si tomas.. hehehe

awa ang project niya na srp nindot kaayo ug drainage system. pirting laloma sa baha gahapon

Nindut unta kung mag buhat ug daku nga drainage system didto dapit sa kusog ang baha, not just a cute drainage system...

parehas rman ni sa mandaue gahapon katong dapit sa hyper mart na bag.o ug drainage gibuhat sa mandaue pero perting baha.a..wala pa gani bwan gkan sa pag ka human

Quote Originally Posted by crossramz View Post
    sa 9 years stint as mayor additional 3 years sa congress wala jud cya nakasulbad ani.. unya karon mopagarpar nasad ni si tomas.. hehehe

awa ang project niya na srp nindot kaayo ug drainage system. pirting laloma sa baha gahapon
    sa tino-oray lang boss, basta sa mga panahon nga si tomas mayor, mas minus man ang baha diri sa pari-an area. pero pag garcia ug karon nga rama, maski walay uwan diri sa amo opis mokalit lang abot ang baha mashock lang ka abi nimo end of the world nah! lolz

no-on pud, karong mga panahona kay "boom" lagi atong construction, mas grabi na gyud ka-opaw atong mga bukid ron. ang mga watershed nga properties, daghan na naay mga titulo sa mga connectado ug kwartahan so yeah, go figure.

In the meantime,
    please provide rubber boats.
    Nindot man pud na nga exercise mamugsay padulong work.

Gamay pa ko nag-sige na na ang baha, wala gyud intawoy cistern nahimo hangtud karon.
    botar na lang gyud mo nila aron mabuhat na ang cistern.

Ang drainage given na na sa isa ka urban city pero naa limit nga kaya niya idrain. Ang problema dyud samot na diha sa Mandaue - Wireless, SM, Tipolo Area) kay ang Subang Dako pirteng gamaya na. Wala na dyuy makita nga subang dako diha, dapat ilisan na na ug subang gamay. Kana unta ang mosalo sa kadaghan tubig ulan nga gikan sa bukid sa Talamban (upper cebu area). Maayo dyud unta nga ila mahatagan ug attention ang natural drainage system sa syudad ug dili hinay hinayan ug reclaim hangtud mokipot na.

And to add, Bonifacio Global City already has this detention tank to store storm water. See below;
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/-de...ins-flood-free
    Last edited by twEATer; 09-19-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Kung seryoso then pwede raman ta patabang sa mga Japanese sa plano, sure ko sila kahibaw kung unsa klase nga drainage system ang ibutang...

Blog Entries
    Dili naman ni bag-o sa atoa. Kung dili ting-ulan dili pud ayohon ang drainage system. So unsa man ato i expect?

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast