Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ian_1983 View Post
    I spent a week in Tokyo and had around $800, about 61,000 yen (excluding hotel) . Yet i was almost broke by the end of the week. Meal was ok. Cost me around 30-40$ a day (McDo value meal, ramen noodles, tempura dishes, 711 and corner stores). But the bulk of my expenses is the transportation. For a 7 day rail pass it cost me about 400$.
    woah. $800 under a week sure is costly...
    trick is to keep your meal tabs no more than 300-500yen. food in japan is not at all that expensive if you know where to look. if they know you're a tourist, sometimes they'll throw in a special or two. 100 yen shops are everywhere (excludes tax) ...before travelling i usually spend time planning with them trusty internet (especially when they just raised toll rates effective april 2014). doesn't hurt to plan. prefer JR over shinkasen anytime if you aren't in a hurry. asking around do help alot, majority of japanese people could understand english but it does help to start the conversation with a little etiquette.if you are desperate enough, look for iphone-wielding dudes...making friends out of strangers is better though...kind enough to help tourists like me. oh yeah, if you're visiting an area which is a bit crowded (tokyo,shibuya,akihabara,etc...), it wouldn't hurt if you rented a place about 5-8 stations away. if settling for hotels, mind their promos by visiting their online presence, prices dip down around this range

on topic:
    the only truth here is the multiple visa entries of 90 days minimum...still, better than nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ian_1983 View Post
    I spent a week in Tokyo and had around $800, about 61,000 yen (excluding hotel) . Yet i was almost broke by the end of the week. Meal was ok. Cost me around 30-40$ a day (McDo value meal, ramen noodles, tempura dishes, 711 and corner stores). But the bulk of my expenses is the transportation. For a 7 day rail pass it cost me about 400$.
    This is way to expensive. I suppose you did not plan your trip.

C.I.A. Platinum Member carmicael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekoydakoykoy View Post
    This is way to expensive. I suppose you did not plan your trip.
    tokyo man pod, so medyo mahal. around same ang ako na spend para sa food every time mag adto sa tokyo area. ang transpo daan kay 70php per trip minimum sa train. naa 1-day pass for around 700php. ang gi-mention niya na 7-day pass kay nationwide na sa JR. almost anywhere sa japan, so sulit na kaayo.

Quote Originally Posted by carmicael View Post
    tokyo man pod, so medyo mahal. around same ang ako na spend para sa food every time mag adto sa tokyo area. ang transpo daan kay 70php per trip minimum sa train. naa 1-day pass for around 700php. ang gi-mention niya na 7-day pass kay nationwide na sa JR. almost anywhere sa japan, so sulit na kaayo.
    never been to japan but heard lots of people who survive japan on a tight budget and $800 in a week is way to high. its a matter on your "discarte" and how "tipid" you are... plan your trip it would help a lot. imho
    Last edited by Ekoydakoykoy; 04-30-2014 at 11:48 PM.

never been to japan but heard lots of people who survive japan on a tight budget and $800 in a week is way to high. its a matter on your "discarte" and how "tipid" you are... plan your trip it would help a lot. imho
    you definitely can spend less than $800 a week. the point is : it's tokyo. everything is expensive. for eating on a budget: 70php for bottled water. 50php for plain onigiri (around the size of puto here in cebu). but with all the walking you do, onigiri and bottled water won't last for more than a few hours. transportation is quite pricey also. unless you stay in just one place, you definitely have to buy train passes. it was mentioned before that $400 was for a 7-day pass. i'm not saying $800 is cheap. i'm saying $800 is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by carmicael View Post
    you definitely can spend less than $800 a week. the point is : it's tokyo. everything is expensive. for eating on a budget: 70php for bottled water. 50php for plain onigiri (around the size of puto here in cebu). but with all the walking you do, onigiri and bottled water won't last for more than a few hours. transportation is quite pricey also. unless you stay in just one place, you definitely have to buy train passes. it was mentioned before that $400 was for a 7-day pass. i'm not saying $800 is cheap. i'm saying $800 is reasonable.
    I agree that $800 is reasonable if you have luxury of money but for a typical backpacker / budget tourist it is a BIG DEAL and just way to expensive.. as you mention 70php for a bottled water, you can just bring your own Nalgene bottle and have it refilled on your hotel/hostel , Tap water in Japan is drinkable and safe (10 Things That Will Shock You About Tokyo | Tokyo Foreigners), This way you can save a lot. A lot of ways to enjoy in other places without spending much. Just plan your trip thats the key.
    Last edited by Ekoydakoykoy; 05-01-2014 at 10:45 AM.

I agree that $800 is reasonable if you have luxury of money but for a typical backpacker / budget tourist it is a BIG DEAL and just way to expensive.. as you mention 70php for a bottled water, you can just bring your own Nalgene bottle and have it refilled on your hotel/hostel , Tap water in Japan is drinkable and safe (10 Things That Will Shock You About Tokyo | Tokyo Foreigners), This way you can save a lot. A lot of ways to enjoy in other places without spending much. Just plan your trip thats the key.
    that's what i did, i brought with me a water container and used water from the hotel. they have water heaters so you can be extra sure your water is clean.

$800 in a week sounds about right for Tokyo. The first time I traveled with my own money to Tokyo murag mga 1k kapin akong spending money for a week (I saved up for this because first ni nako nga trip to Japan by myself when I was 18, the first day I had my cousin show me around, even though he wasnt really a Tokyo native either). True, you can travel for less than $800, but depende rajud nimu how you want to travel, but you have to really plan your budget carefully regardless(note importante jud ang JR Pass, but I'm almost 100% certain naay $300 nga 7-day pass).. And I have probably bought bottled water in Japan once or twice. The tap there is potable AFAIK. As for budget food, 500-1500 yen for a meal is reasonable. To tell you the truth, Ive had cheap meals (mga $4-5) that I really enjoyed, and expensive ones that I didn't really like.

Always remember though, to bring emergency money.
    Last edited by æRLO; 05-01-2014 at 02:45 PM.

nag duha duha naman nuon kog adto next year. balik nalang kos korea oy hahaha

basta all i can remember, 100k php in 4 months with free accommodation at Fukuoka prefecture last year.

11.    Advertisement

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast