Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default Singaporean wants separate bus for Filipino maids

The tendency of Filipino domestic workers in Singapore to be boisterous during their bus ride to their favorite haunt at Orchard Road has earned the ire of one Singaporean who proposed a private bus for the Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) especially during their Sunday day off.

In an open letter posted anonymously on The Real Singapore (TRS), a free online platform where Singaporeans freely express themselves without any form of censorship, the Singaporean contributor who simply signed as “H” complained that recently on Bus 106 from Clementi interchange to Orchard Road, 90 percent of the passengers were rowdy Pinoy maids that made the journey uncomfortable.

Lucky Plaza Filipino OFWs, Lucky Plaza in Orchard Road, Singapore OFWs, Manila Bulletin
    The Lucky Plaza along Orchard Road in Singapore is a favorite haunt of Filipino overseas workers especially during their day off. Lucky Plaza has many Filipino restaurants and remittance centers that cater to the needs of OFWs. (Photo by Alma Buelva)
    In the public letter, “H” spells Filipinos as Phillipinos.

“I do welcome them to take our public transport as it helps to contribute to our GDP and SMRT’s revenue. Unfortunately, this Pinoy maids were talking so loud in the bus. They joked and burst out laughing loudly. It’s nothing wrong to joke and chit chat in the bus as Sunday is only their off day, however, they should be a little bit more considerate by caring for other passengers too. What I heard in the bus was Phillipino language and I felt like I am taking a bus in Manila. Their voices were just as loud as thunderstorm,” wrote “H”.

“H” said that many Singaporeans should have also experienced that “once a group of Phillipinos board a bus or train, your resting time on your journey back home is gone”.

“H” also picked on the way Filipino maids would push to board the bus. “H” said Singaporeans are either forced to take another bus that’s not full or, if they managed to board the bus, they would have to stand near the door.

“Through my experience, I would like to advise Singaporeans to prevent taking buses and trains to Far East Plaza or Orchard Road in the Sunday morning and evening,” said “H”.

Far East Plaza on Scotts Road is near Orchard Road where Lucky Plaza is, a shopping center and favorite haunt of Filipinos especially on weekends. Inside Lucky Plaza are many Filipino stores including restaurants and remittance centers.

To relieve Singaporeans of what has become a public transportation “nightmare”, the TRS contributor suggested to the Singapore Public Transport Council “to provide private buses to cater to Pinoy maids island-wide for them to go [to] Orchard Road as the current situation is extremely bad.”

“H” blames the end of comfortable public transport to the influx of more foreign labor and foreign students in Singapore.

“In the early days, our public transport used to be very comfortable. After a long day at work or school, no matter how long the journey, we, Singaporeans, get to rest and enjoy our journey back home,” wrote “H” who also narrated his experience riding the train with a group of “bubbly and chatty” Indonesian Chinese students who talked and laughed loudly that they could be heard across several cabins.

“For once I thought I am taking a train in Jakarta,” said “H”, adding that “I have nothing against them chatting and joking as I did that too. However, I hope this group of people could be more considerate.”

Atty. Marc Titus Cebreros, Chief of the Human Rights Information and Communication Division, told Manila Bulletin Online that the anonymous request for a separate transport for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) is a form of racism.

“Apparently it’s racist and racism goes against human rights,” Cebreros said.

Cebreros added that the appeal of the anonymous Singaporean is “demeaning and unfair because OFWs have been praised by other countries several times.”

Cebreros said Singapore authorities and Philippine labor officials in Singapore should not tolerate racist comments.

Over at therealsingapore.com, the editor advised “H” not to “stereotype the entire nationality just because of a few bad eggs” and pointed out that majority of the maids in Singapore “are just trying to seek a better life for their family”.

TRS’ editor continued to say that as humans, the Filipino maids who lead a simple and innocent life also “need a break from their hectic life just like any other Singaporeans need a break. We should not vent our frustration and unhappiness about our overcrowded environment on these foreigners.”

“H’s” public letter also didn’t sit well with others whose comments highlighted the good qualities of Filipinos and the fact that they need some kind of break once a week to meet with their friends to chill.

A certain Danny Ong said: “Filipinos are wonderful people. I had the good fortune of living there a couple of years back and am frankly amazed at their ability to laugh and appreciate life in the midst of natural disasters and corrupt government officials. You’ll be hard pressed to find more hospitable people. Is your heart that small that you don’t have room for anyone else but you?

Another comment from one Patrick Lau also asked “H” to “imagine yourself meeting your friends once a week after 6 days of hard work ?? Give them a break they deserved it…”

A certain Danni Baba Cullens also drove home the same point by writing: ”For God sake you work from Monday till Saturday as early as 5AM to cook…(do) housework, laundry, pick up children, babysitting, care for the elderly and still have to eat later after everyone is done and not all get to eat the same food as their employer…with salary ranging from S$400-800 and still have to send back home for their family to have a better life and all alone for 6 days a week and just a few hours on A SUNDAY pissed you off?

“You can go town anytime of the week with no boss or employer checking up on you or giving you curfews and you wanna play victim? It’s all about consideration and to educate ourselves before making any judgement.”

source: Singaporean wants separate bus for Filipino maids | Manila Bulletin | Latest Breaking News | News Philippines

dapat naa pud separate bus sa mga walay ligo? hehehe..

While I agree that it is somewhat a racist appeal..

But do we all agree on the famous idiom "When in Rome, do as the Romans do..."?

Actually duha sa akong igsoon nag-migrate na sa ubang nasud. One is in London as a nurse, the other is in Canada as food chain supervisor. And yeah, I agree that they really worked their arse out to send us to better schools then. My sister in Canada once had this opinion, that as jolly as filipinos are, usahay makalimot jud ang uban nga di na pareha sa Pinas where you can laugh your arse out in public places or transportation units...

Again, I salute the millions of filipinos out their who sacrificed missing their family, for the sake of giving them sustainable and better lives....
    Last edited by psyche54; 03-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    same man sad na diri sa dubai , samot nag daghan kaayo na mga kabayan magsakay og train usahay makalimot na wa tas pilipinas , ako na lang mauwaw usahay samot nag dagko kaayog tingog nya daghan other nationalities sad sa metro magsakay ambot na lang jud

Blog Entries
    No need to have a separate bus. They just need to impose a law that mandate passengers to behave while inside a bus.

I feel sad sa atong mga kababayan nga nag-antos sa kalisud sa trabaho tapos makadawat ug ingun ana nga comments kay tungod lang gisabaan sa ilaha ang usa ka Singaporean.. Mao nana ang resulta sa kakuwang ug trabaho diri sa Pinas imbis na diri mag trabaho ang mga Tao mo adto nalang sa abroad para makakita ug dakung kwarta para sa ilahang pamilya...

Sad to hear this news... Pero makalagot po tong si H...

While I agree nga daghan jud mga pinoy nga saba, I can only deduce this: Kaning ga himu aning petition is a coward by having to use a pseudonym and needs to get that stick out of his arse. drastic ra kaayo nang separate buses and nahimu na nuon siyag racist paminawn by suggesting segregation. Sakto nang kang @cliff_drew, just mandate a rule of courtesy if there isn't one. It's more cost effective and it doesn't make Singapore look like bigots' country.

If she/he wants total comfort,
    ''H'' Should buy his/her own car, Mercedes benz S class would do.
    That is a public transport and it's a free country.
    If he/she could not afford then better bring ear muffs the next time he/she
    would commute in public transport.

Usa ra akong maingon, HILAS! Specifically, sa maids ra jud? Seriously? Ambot lang ug mabuhi nah cla kung wa ng mga Pinay maids dha..

Quote Originally Posted by æRLO View Post
    While I agree nga daghan jud mga pinoy nga saba, I can only deduce this: Kaning ga himu aning petition is a coward by having to use a pseudonym and needs to get that stick out of his arse. drastic ra kaayo nang separate buses and nahimu na nuon siyag racist paminawn by suggesting segregation. Sakto nang kang @cliff_drew, just mandate a rule of courtesy if there isn't one. It's more cost effective and it doesn't make Singapore look like bigots' country.
    Mao nay ilang culture, Dili jud na sila kana bitaw mu Confront na type, ambot basin tungod sa hugot nga dinad an sa ila govt or hadlok sila ug samok. Nya most of them bati ug perception sa mga Foreigners mao mahadlok sad sila bain unsa nya buhaton.

Kana bitaw Priority seats, if naay tiguwang or madbos magbarog, panagsa ra kaayu mu kompronta sa naglingkod nga palingkoron. Di pariha sa Pinas like kana sa Jeep, duna juy isa nga mu React dayun ug dili mag duha duha ug Istorya.

But i agree nga if ganahan jud sila, they can make it a law

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast