Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do processor power still matter in games?

In the span of 8 months, these are some of the AAA games nga nanggawas. And looking at the charts, it's safe to say that games nowadays are more gpu dependent than before. It also tells us that most of these games demands at least 4 cores/2cores + 2 ht. Given that we are nearing the launch of next gen consoles which will hopefully optimize the use of gpu and cpu, is it still more logical to shell more cash for a high end processor for gaming purposes? Or get a quad or a dual core w/ ht then spend the rest for a high end video card?

Bioshock Infinite

Black Ops 2

Crysis 3

Far Cry 3

Medal of Honor Warfighter

Tomb Raider

Feel free to post your opinions, keep it civil
    Last edited by Sempron Guy; 05-15-2013 at 07:36 PM.

In an age where even mobile devices employ multi-cored cpus, i guess processor power in games will only matter where the number of cores is concerned. I think cache size comes in second. I honestly feel that current i3s promise shorter life now compared to a year ago and compared to AMD processors with real 4 cores. The reason for this is the global shift of game devs/software devs to multithreaded support.

The i3 seemed a very feasible choice and still is up to now. But I think i was off in dismissing that the choice to go for future proofing would be rewarding.

With that, i assume cpus are now less significant in gaming provided you have 4 real cores and sufficient cache.
    Last edited by keropi; 05-15-2013 at 08:59 PM.

I hope developers will adapt to multithreaded games support. It would be more convenient for us consumers to stick on our last gen procies and just upgrade the card for a performance boost. We can finally lay to rest this cpu bottleneck issue we've been facing through the years. We got capable hardware, the problem is putting these hardware to good use.

It's also a good thing that console developers shifted to desktop based manufacturers for their cpu. At least its a familiar x86 architecture na ila i-employ, Makes the game originally coded for consoles pc friendly IMO.

Aside from the i3, the quad core FX processor from AMD seems to be the sweet spot for gaming. Particularly the recently launched FX-4350 which now has the full L3 8mb cache contrary to the previous piledriver quads which only got half the l3 cache of its big brother the FX six and eight core procies.
    Last edited by Sempron Guy; 05-15-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempron Guy View Post
    In the span of 8 months, these are some of the AAA games nga nanggawas. And looking at the charts, it's safe to say that games nowadays are more gpu dependent than before. It also tells us that most of these games demands at least 4 cores/2cores + 2 ht. Given that we are nearing the launch of next gen consoles which will hopefully optimize the use of gpu and cpu, is it still more logical to shell more cash for a high end processor for gaming purposes? Or get a quad or a dual core w/ ht then spend the rest for a high end video card?

Feel free to post your opinions, keep it civil
    Mao, unahun jud tira ang video card then memory, awahi nanang cpu bahalag dual core...
    Last edited by harhar; 05-15-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Edit

installed and played Crysis 3 (multi-player) on my mini-ITX... Pentium G840 (8GB) paired w/ a factory OC'ed GTX 650 2GB... i can play very nice frame rates on Crysis 3 @ 1080p on Low to Medium Preset... the gaming experience in terms of the FPS is very comparable to my i3-2120 (16GB) w/ a factory OC'ed GTX 660 Ti in 2-way SLI on Very High Preset...
    Last edited by lloyd_joy; 05-16-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Mao ako I am building an LGA775 Quad Core mal-mal rig, ako gi compare Q9400 stock 2.66GHz versus i5 2500k 4.3GHz both using a 7870, same raman (Crysis, Battlefield)

Naa lang exception jud, MMORPGs. I play Tera Online and WoW, there is a very big difference between the 2 processors.

mao gyud... sa BF3 (multi players... 64 players max), the same ra man ang gaming experience nko sa 2 rigs... the same sila on Ultra Preset @ 1080p... hehehe... ok ra gyud kaayo ang GTX 650 ug ang SB/IB Pentium...
    Last edited by lloyd_joy; 05-16-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainerius View Post
    Mao ako I am building an LGA775 Quad Core mal-mal rig, ako gi compare Q9400 stock 2.66GHz versus i5 2500k 4.3GHz both using a 7870, same raman (Crysis, Battlefield)

Naa lang exception jud, MMORPGs. I play Tera Online and WoW, there is a very big difference between the 2 processors.

online?

is it because i5 process more packets of streaming information at a time than C2Q?

and its not that heavy graphics to shift processing to the VC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainerius View Post

Unsay difference bro? Latency? FPS?

Because MMORPGs are mostly optimized for 2 cores, thus they would benefit more from higher clocks than more cores, multithreaded support or efficient instruction handling. These games use old coding which favor low-end hardware because thats what their target market use.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast