Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Cebuano appointed DILG Usec

Quote Originally Posted by bb2 View Post
    Nope I am in the small minority who believes in a true Daang Matuwid.
    I am glad we share the same beliefs although I don't agree that we are but a small minority. I think the past 3 years has convinced similar minded people that there is hope for our country because of the Daang Matuwid. This is not to say that we will just passively watch developments. We still have to be vigilant but at the same time refrain from too much pessimism. Second guessing the president and criticizing even before we know what he's really up to is the bigger roadblock that you mentioned.

The president is no magician who will just wave a wand to improve our country. Mistakes are inevitable especially when burning a new trail. Results has to be weighed. Three years into the job, the verdict not only among our people but also from around the world, has been very favorable. In my life, never have I seen so much optimism for the future. Look at this appointment as a step towards upgrading the lives of the poor who has been left behind in the country's economic success rather than judge this action as a political payback or ploy. Three years of relative success, I think, deserves a benefit of the doubt. The bottom line is: will it help the people?.

There is where we differ....."will it help the people" is a statement that supports "the end justifies the means". For me so that Daang Matuwid to truly work it has to be a change in the system. Changing the people in the system is a very small step because once they get replaced it fails. PNoy has to show he is not going the patronage politics route so that people will abandon that system even at the barangay level.

If our President does KKK and creating positions for them then every local official is justified in doing the same.There are numerous career civil servants at the Asec level out there who believe Daang Matuwid why not expand their responsibilities or create positions from there for these career servants instead of getting someone from out of the blue.

PNoy should not get angry at criticisms because he promised something that is extremely difficult and that promise (and his mom's passing) is what got him into office.

There is where we differ....."will it help the people" is a statement that supports "the end justifies the means". For me so that Daang Matuwid to truly work it has to be a change in the system. Changing the people in the system is a very small step because once they get replaced it fails. PNoy has to show he is not going the patronage politics route so that people will abandon that system even at the barangay level.
    The ultimate objective of good governance has always been to do what's best for the people and country. Justifying success - is that what you mean? Bimbo hasn't even taken his seat yet and you don't even know what his functions are going to be, yet here you are condemning the appointment already.

Just because a title was assigned to him in this position doesn't mean that that position will permanently be embedded in the organizational charts. Mandaue City made Bimbo a consultant on urban poor. Did that position become permanent so that when Bimbo leaves a replacement has to be hired? Not necessarily. I think you are confused on the different types of appointment.

Tuwid na daan is nothing more than a slogan. It's a good one and repeatedly said becomes believable specially those who do not bother to think critically.

That being said, I still believe Bimbo is a good choice. He has a respectable track record specially in matters concerning the urban poor. He's been criticized for being loyal to Tommy Osmena, so it is expected that those who do not like Tommy also wouldn't like him. But that's about the only thing wrong (depending on one's perspective) with him.

I am just glad there is a Cebuano appointed to such a position, and one who is best suited for it.

If we rely on great personas and backgrounds it will never cure the system.

Erap has a great persona, GMA great background (no big traces of corruption until became President). All of the negative effects were all felt after the fact.

There is a system implement the system correctly. Appoint Bimbo to a position where the current apoointee is not performing. It will show two things, if you are not performing you will be replaced AND if you are worthy you will be placed in a system which will have your responsibilities properly laid out and not tailored to the incoming appointee. That is how overlapping and misunderstanding between officials come about.

Nothing against Bimbo just the system of political rewards

Tried and tested na si Bimbo. Walay paglubad iyang baruganan sa pagsilbe sa katawhan.

If we rely on great personas and backgrounds it will never cure the system.

Erap has a great persona, GMA great background (no big traces of corruption until became President). All of the negative effects were all felt after the fact.

There is a system implement the system correctly. Appoint Bimbo to a position where the current apoointee is not performing. It will show two things, if you are not performing you will be replaced AND if you are worthy you will be placed in a system which will have your responsibilities properly laid out and not tailored to the incoming appointee. That is how overlapping and misunderstanding between officials come about.

Nothing against Bimbo just the system of political rewards
    The one person in Bimbo cannot change the system. It will take more than him to do that. But his persona and his background can at least be a catalyst for change in the small circle that he will be in. And even if this is a political appointment (or payback as one pleases), it is one of the very few that in my opinion is worthy of support.

Of course he can. He can also do it while working within the system/procedures.

If you believe in paybacks, then good for you. I don't, for the reasons I cited before. Bimbo will of course pay back Tom O for all they have done together. I don't know what the ramifications for Cebu will be, it could be good or bad. All I know is that it reinforces the old system of rewarding political favors and not career officials.

I would rather Bimbo be appointed to a position already in existence, one where the current holder is inefficient. We have a lot of those.

If you take advantage of the loopholes in system to get your appointment/position that makes your part of the problem regardless of whether you are a good individual.

The people who agree to the creation of special positions should have no issues when the government will do things that affect them, like increase of fees without public hearing or expropriating property without due process, basta the person doing it is "good". Di ba pang "masa" naman si Erap?

If Bimbo is as good as the people here say he is, then I will support him getting a position in government that is already existing with clear duties and responsibilities that match his qualifications. Otherwise he is just another political tool.

Of course he can. He can also do it while working within the system/procedures.

I cannot see how Bimbo can be in a position to change the system as you see it. Being a Usec is just too minor to be an influence to the bigger scope of governance. But like I said earlier, he can be a positive influence within the smaller circle that he will be in as Usec at DILG.

If you believe in paybacks, then good for you. I don't, for the reasons I cited before. Bimbo will of course pay back Tom O for all they have done together. I don't know what the ramifications for Cebu will be, it could be good or bad. All I know is that it reinforces the old system of rewarding political favors and not career officials.

I don't believe in paybacks. Neither do I believe Bimbo will 'payback' Tommy in a manner that will compromise his integrity.

I would rather Bimbo be appointed to a position already in existence, one where the current holder is inefficient. We have a lot of those.

That would be a problem because the appointment has already been made.

If you take advantage of the loopholes in system to get your appointment/position that makes your part of the problem regardless of whether you are a good individual.

There were no indications at all that someone or anyone lobbied for Bimbo to be appointed. But even if there was, he has the credentials and the reputation that may have been the basis for the push and the choice.

The people who agree to the creation of special positions should have no issues when the government will do things that affect them, like increase of fees without public hearing or expropriating property without due process, basta the person doing it is "good". Di ba pang "masa" naman si Erap?

That may not necessarily be so, specially if we are talking about one appointment, that of Bimbo's.

If Bimbo is as good as the people here say he is, then I will support him getting a position in government that is already existing with clear duties and responsibilities that match his qualifications. Otherwise he is just another political tool.

Again, that is a little too late as he is already appointed. It is presumptuous of you though to conclude that he will be just another political tool simply because you think the appointment is political and not meritorious.
    I stand by my belief that Bimbo will be an asset to DILG. But unlike you though, I do not at all have the same confidence in the current leadership of BSAquino. But that is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by eezychair View Post
    I stand by my belief that Bimbo will be an asset to DILG. But unlike you though, I do not at all have the same confidence in the current leadership of BSAquino. But that is another matter.
    I also do not like Aquino's management and management style. In fact this issue is another criticism of that, the creation of a position as a political reward. PNoy is not following (as usual) his own Daang Matuwid, regardless of whom it was or how qualified the appointee is.... it is what it is.... a political reward.

However I have seen how his motto of Daang Matuwid has indeed changed mindsets at certain levels. I deal with the MARINA (Maritime Authority) and there is an atmosphere of less corruption (naa gihapon gamay)

Not so much that Bimbo cannot change it but by accepting to be part of the flawed system he is condoning it.

Paying back Tommy. Bimbo by accepting the appointment shows that he accepts that type of system, so he is open to it.

Bimbo could have at anytime rejected the appointment to a newly created position and have hinted that he would rather be appointed to an existing position. If the appointing authority thinks that he is more qualified than others in the system then he would have been appointed to a position in that system. Either he is not more qualified than existing appointees or they just really needed to reward him.

Appointment has been made, of course otherwise there would be no issue.

Noone wanted Bimbo to be appointed somewhere. So PNoy just decided to create a totally new position for Bimbo on his own. You give PNoy too much credit, he is not that smart or wily.

One appointment only? That is exactly how things like this get overlooked and become "tradition". Tips to fixers, political dynasties, etc. each and every appointment is important.

It is not presumption. Would you have presumed Erap and GMA would have stolen despite the Pro-masa stance of Erap or GMA's pedigree. I am just for staying within the system.

Daang Matuwid is a path that is supposed to last beyond the inadequate presidency of PNoy. The only way that is going to happen is if people stay within the system. It is extremely hard for a politician not to give political rewards because these people helped him on his way up but each political reward/favor is a small curve in Daang Matuwid that needs to be straightened out. The appointees themselves should realize that and be ready to say "no, thank you" if need be. That will be a sacrifice but something they should be willing to make for Daang Matuwid. There are many ways to help the marginalized (Gawad Kalinga, NGOs, etc) without allowing yourself to be a political tool.

If you want to reward him for helping your politics, give him a position in the LP. However noone would think anything of being appointed there. Walay power ug influence didto. So he is created a position.

Imagine how much more good Sec Robredo would have been able to accomplish if political appointee Puno (whose position was not clearly delineated because his responsibilities and office were just creations as well) was not in the DILG.

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234