View Poll Results: Close/Lock the Free Internet threads?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's appropriate that these threads be closed.

29 19.33%
  • No, there is nothing wrong with it.

111 74.00%
  • Undecided.

10 6.67%
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast
    Infractions: 0/3 (6)

Question OPEN FORUM On Free Internet (USB Modems)

Everybody is invited to participate in the discussion here.
    The purpose of this thread is to listen to your thoughts before I lock all "Free Internet" threads.

Here are the two reasons why I am going to lock the said threads:

1.) You are giving away free internet using intellectual property.
    I am not familiar with intellectual property theft definition but it's the closest thing that I can think of.
    Ang pangutana - Diin man mo nagkuha ug signal para ipanghatag sa inyong mga "subscriber"?
    Inyoha nang signal? If not, then kang kinsa man?
    Are you paying for it and then distributing it for free? Or plainly stealing it?
    If it is indeed stolen from commercial resources, then istorya.net will not tolerate such acts.

2.) This contradicts with some of our Google Ads.
    Obviously, part of istorya.net's income comes from the banner advertisements you see all over the forum.
    At random times, most particularly on specific sections discussing these "free internet" services, Google Adsense displays banners advertising the services and products of these telecommunications companies which are directly affected by free internet. I guess there's no need to explain further kung ngano ironic kaayo nga nagtolerate mi ug free internet and at the same time the site is partly being supported financially by the said companies.

-----------------

All comments are welcome.
    You may also vote on the poll.

Default Re: OPEN FORUM On Free Internet (USB Modems)

if it is against istorya.net's site policies and if it outright affects the overall operation of this site then we are simply to abide the rules without question.

Boss YJOB,
    On your points:
    1.) You are giving away free internet using intellectual property.
    I am not familiar with intellectual property theft definition but it's the closest thing that I can think of.
    Ang pangutana - Diin man mo nagkuha ug signal para ipanghatag sa inyong mga "subscriber"?
    Are you paying for it and then distributing it for free? Or plainly stealing it?
    If it is indeed stolen from commercial resources, then istorya.net will not tolerate such acts.

I’m not techie but based on my understanding, some istoryans pay for the internet service and give out some sort of access to their VPN(s). I don’t see anything wrong/illegal with that. After all a VPN’s purpose is to allow multiple remote users access, with the admin’s permission, to a private network supposedly created by the one who paid for the internet connection. So in short luoy pud tong nang hatag/ na-tagaan ug free and legitimate internet connection, kung wla naa clay thread.

Regarding Philippines laws about this matter on illegally obtained internet connection, as of the moment, to my knowledge and searching around, we do not have yet a specific working law about this issue but we do have one in the works right now – “The Anti-Cable Television and Cable Internet Pilferage Act of 2012”, I can’t find any resource saying that this is already a law approved by the President. For now we can rely on the Revised Penal Code provision on Theft which is pretty generic. Stealing internet connection is not covered under our Intellectual Property Code.

2.) This contradicts with some of our Google Ads.
    Obviously, part of istorya.net's income comes from the banner advertisements you see all over the forum.
    At random times, most particularly on specific sections discussing these "free internet" services, Google Adsense displays banners advertising the services and products of these telecommunications companies which are directly affected by free internet. I guess there's no need to explain further kung ngano ironic kaayo nga nagtolerate mi ug free internet and at the same time the site is partly being supported financially by the said companies.

Kani mo agree ko sa irony ani Boss YJOB.

I Agree with Code Talker, i don't think it's stealing

VPN’s purpose is to allow multiple remote users access, with the admin’s permission, to a private network supposedly created by the one who paid for the internet connection.

VPN for dummies...

what is VPN [virtual private network]?

Virtual private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sharing free internet to fellow istoryan members is unbelievable but I did it, just love to share blessings here.
    about sa question kung kinawat ba? di intawn uy.

here's my proof nga ako ni gipalit akong mga servers sa vpn. kung kulang pa ni, SS sa akong paypal transactions ako e post or pm. 6 months na ang akong free internet then 6 months na sd ko nag cge ug bayad sa akong mga servers, mka testify ang akong mga free users ana nga wala ko magpa bayad bisad kosing nila.
    ulawa sd ug manghatag ta ug kinawat uy,

Prometeus / IperWeb

Dear wendell gallenero,

This is a payment receipt for Invoice 1139/WPM/2012 sent on 2012/07/23

VZ5 - wenzvpn (2012/07/23 - 2012/08/22)
    Operating System: Debian 6 32bit $15.00
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total: $15.00
    Credit: $0.00
    Total: $15.00

Amount: $15.00
    Transaction #: 3FR72423XF542043F
    Total Paid: $15.00
    Remaining Balance: $0.00

You may review your invoice history at any time by logging in to your client area.

Note: This email will serve as an official receipt for this payment.

IperWeb Hosting Solutions
    Prometeus, your 'net consultants

If we only knew how VPNs work, then this is not illegal..

"If it is indeed stolen from commercial resources, then istorya.net will not tolerate such acts."

VPN is used to connect 2 or more "private" sites securely using the public network "internet". in such case, each user/site must pay to its ISP for the internet connectivity. ISP on the otherhand, dealt the VPN packets to pass thru its network unscrutinized for privacy other than that, VPN connections are like private tunnels may it be in layer 2 or layer 3 over the net.

Free Internet over VPN is making a logical tunnel between the wireless USB modem to VPN server where the VPN server internet connectivity serves as gateway or transit point. This VPN server acts as the Radius/AAA. user must be registered & assigned w/ username & password inorder to be allowed to have free internet access. This method "bypassed" the ISP's Radius/AAA servers therefore it is difficult to account the usage per user. in this way, the VPN server owner is the one paying rightfully for the internet connectivity while its users don't pay as much as long as their ISP will allow the handshake process as necessary to establish connectivity supposedly w/ the ISP's servers for the AAA but is diverted to the VPN server by creating a logical tunnel.

Therefore, free internet over VPN is unfair to the wireless ISP.

Just another point I would like to respectfully raise regarding boss YJOB's post:

"2.) This contradicts with some of our Google Ads.
    At random times, most particularly on specific sections discussing these "free internet" services, Google Adsense displays banners advertising the services and products of these telecommunications companies which are directly affected by free internet. I guess there's no need to explain further kung ngano ironic kaayo nga nagtolerate mi ug free internet and at the same time the site is partly being supported financially by the said companies."

I agree with the irony of the situation. But I just realized something, hypothetically what if we apply the premise presented here on something else, let's say I would create a thread saying something like "2012 Free Jollib*** meals!!!! Weekly... And I mean Free Jollib***!!!" sa Food and Dining forum, that would make this kind of thread title and its posts about the free meals I'm offering, a violation of a (hypothetical) policy since Google Adsense may randomly display banners advertising the services and products of these fastfood/restaurants etc which are directly affected by free meals. The same can be applied with any other hypothetical thread topic.

I am still very new here and I'm just sharing my views as boss YJOB suggested. At the end of the day, I am still under the obligation with whatever policies/changes this website imposes on it's members. I still believe there is nothing wrong with sharing free internet/intranet/VPN legitimately paid for and obtained. With that said, I'm optimistic that boss YJOB and the rest of the site honchos shall reconsider their position and favor the issue at hand.

Infractions: 0/3 (6)

@Code Talker:

There is no problem with whatever comment posted here kay open forum ang gi-title nako para magtampo-tampo ta sa lain lain nga information.

Regarding sa free meal sa jollibee, ang matubag ra nako is kung ok ra ba sa globe/smart/sun nga ang ilang usb modems maoy gamiton sa ing-ani nga system.

We still have to find out if:

1. affected ba sila ani sa ilang sales
    2. ilaha bang signal ang gigamit
    3. and most important - do they allow that their usb modems gamiton sa ingon ani

because if they allow it then there is no reason ngano ibawal nato diri, atong ipadayon ang mga vpn thread.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast