Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default Profiting from the Philippine Stock market

Profiting from the Philippine Stock market
    WEALTH MANAGEMENT
    by Ruben D. Almendras
    The Freeman 02/25/2007

The Philippine Stock Exchange Index (PSEI) at 3400, is nearing the all time high of 3447, reached in February 1997 during the boom years before the Asian economic crisis. Current daily trading volume at over $100 million is also at an all time high, and has been breaching this level since January of this year. Quite a number of people have already made a pile in the current run up of the stock prices, particularly those that have tracked the market in the last two years, and had bought into the market twelve to eighteen months ago. Also, at the current stock prices, those that had lost in the stock market crash during the Asian crisis, but had hang on to shares of companies with good fundamentals, should have recovered their loses.

The current boom cycle in the Philippine Stock Market is the fourth in the 35 years that I have been in business since graduating with an MBA. I had made a mini-thesis on the stock market in that year and a fundamental stock analysis on some of the blue chip stocks at that time. This was very fortunate, because to test my thesis, I had to convince my father and an uncle to trust me with P100,000, which was quite a big amount at that time, to invest at the stock market. I invested the money in only four stocks and it earned a lot when we eventually sold the shares. From that time on, I always have some investment in the stock market, and in three out of the four economic cycles, I made profits, and recovered my losses in one. I built my house 20 years ago from stock market profits, and over the years I made profits for the companies I worked for and for some clients. Ten months ago, a client-friend who had retired, asked me to help him invest his retirement benefit. After allocating different percentages to some fixed income investment, we settled on one million pesos for the stock market investments. The one million is now two million pesos, and he wonders why we did not put more in the stock market. I told him that that is exactly the point of the strategy; that it is only the amount that we are willing to accept greater risk that should be investing in the stock market.

The recent boom of the Philippine Stock Market is still in the early stages, so that I believe there are still profits to be made. The good economic history of the Philippines in the last three years, the sound fiscal position of the government, and the prognosis of the economic growth of the country, all point to an accelerating economic performance for the country. The Asian and the world economies are also on a growth path which will positively impact on the Philippine economy, so there is very little downside on the Philippine Stock Market in the short to medium term.

It is now time to develop a stock market investment strategy taking into consideration your entry point at this time. The advent of computers and the internet actually makes understanding and getting information on the stock market easier and faster. It is available in the net from the websites of the PSE and the brokers. Stock and company analyses are available and some stock charts are accessible for free. You just have to take time to study and /or talk to your investment advisor. For the purpose of this column, my best advice to you is not to be greedy. When you reach your targeted return on investment, be satisfied. You cannot have it all.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Profiting from the Philippine Stock market

Thanks Man for sharing this great article..

I really do agree with this coz I also had the experience. I invested before a P10/share and had 4977 shares -- total investment was P49,770.00 . When I sold it after 2 years, it was already P18/share -- total earning for 2 years less the investment P39,816.00. And since it was a tandem type of stock option, I earned an additional P26,544.00. In the 3rd year, I earned, less the investment, another P61,383.00 @ P28.50/share. In the 4th year, I then earned, less the investment, another P112,812.00 @ P44/share.

To give a summary, my total earning is P240,555.00 for a span of 5 years with an initial investment of P49,770.00. Folded 5 times, more or less, in the span of 5 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kentabs
    I really do agree with this coz I also had the experience. I invested before a P10/share and had 4977 shares -- total investment was P49,770.00 . When I sold it after 2 years, it was already P18/share -- total earning for 2 years less the investment P39,816.00. And since it was a tandem type of stock option, I earned an additional P26,544.00. In the 3rd year, I earned, less the investment, another P61,383.00 @ P28.50/share. In the 4th year, I then earned, less the investment, another P112,812.00 @ P44/share.

To give a summary, my total earning is P240,555.00 for a span of 5 years with an initial investment of P49,770.00. Folded 5 times, more or less, in the span of 5 years.
    wow! nice profit .. can you tell us what company you invested.

bitaw, nindot lagi ni! mura rakag ga time deposit diba ? pila man ang minimum investment ani ug asa nga company nindot mag invest? thumbs up jud ni! :mrgreen:

bitaw, nindot lagi ni! mura rakag ga time deposit diba ? pila man ang minimum investment ani ug asa nga company nindot mag invest? thumbs up jud ni! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wang_AN_YU
    Boss diri murag na ka time deposit , kay ang time deposit gamay kaayo interest kaysa sa makuha mo profit sa Stocks.. Pero Risky lang kuwarta mo sa stocks.. sa time deposit medyo safe gamay...

minimum investment sa online trading like www.philstocks.ph 5,000.00 bpitrade.com lesstahn 15,000 cguro and other pa .. see www.pse.com.ph for complete listing of online brokers.

tnx sa mga infos bro! asa man pd ka niinvest ana nga site? didto ka sa 5k minimum ni invest?

ok raba ang conditions ron for investing sa stocks kay grabe ang down

BARGAIN SALE NA!!

just try to predict when it goes up and buy in na hehehe
    pero when that will happen? Ill just let the experts tell you that

@metz: wooow...ikaw ni invest ka? asa man pud ug how much man? patabang nya ko nimog decide asa nindot iinvest

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast