Page 1 of 37 123411 ... LastLast

Default Merged: Horror Movies (Old and New)

Okay, this is a movie recommendation thread. Kindly state your favorite new horror movie (within the last twenty-five years) and your favorite old horror movie (from the beginning of cinema to 1987). Just select one film for each category.

Here are mine:

Old: Curse of the Demon (1957) - IMDb

New: Session 9 (2001) - IMDb

Last edited by reptoid; 06-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Default re: Merged: Horror Movies (Old and New)

Come guys.... let's see your horror recommendations!

Nice thread, TS! I'm a newbie here, btw. Hope u don't mind nga ni apil ko ani na thread. :) hehehe

So, for horror movies from the beginning of film to 1987. Here are my picks:
    1. Nosferatu (1922)
    2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (forgot the year...basta mga 1920s to)
    3. The Shining (1980) - check out the scenes with the kid riding his mini car around the hotel
    4. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    5. Night of the Living Dead (1968) - This has got to be the grandfather of all modern zombie films (George A. Romero!)
    6. The Birds (1963) - my favorite!
    7. Psycho (1960)
    8. Carrie (i forgot the year) - classic cautionary tale of a deadly "payback"
    9. The Thing (1978) - scary alien s**t!
    10. The Exorcist (1973) - Kinsa'y d mahadlok sa nawng ni (possessed) Regan???

***Sorry, I realized that we were supposed to post just one movie. But the geek in me just had to put 10 in the list... :)

For 1987 to present:

1. The Orphanage
    2. The Others (better than the 6th sense, i think)
    3. The Grudge (i slept with the light on for a week)
    4. REC (2007) - what do u get with low-lit docu style filming + flesh-eating neighbors = a perfect screamfest
    5. Funny Games (seriously twisted stuff...the horror is as real as it gets. I don't *ever* want to watch this film again)
    6. SAW (2004...nindot og concept)
    7. Dracula (by FF Copolla) - nice re-boot of the "done-to-death" vampire story
    8. Child's Play (mahadlok ko'g doll tungod aning salidaha)
    9. IT (mahadlok sad ko'g clown tungod aning salidaha...ehehe)
    10. The Frighteners (seriously underrated horror movie)

Naa pa gyud:
    11. Event Horizon (best sci-fi horror, imo)
    12. Jacob's Ladder (twisted, twisted imagery)
    13. 28 Days Later (zombie madness!)
    14. Frailty (another underrated suspense/thriller)
    15. Poltergeist (more of them evil clowns!!!) - sorry this is supposed to be on the previous reply so, P.S. nlng ni

Quote Originally Posted by unchienandalou85 View Post
    For 1987 to present:

1. The Orphanage
    2. The Others (better than the 6th sense, i think)
    3. The Grudge (i slept with the light on for a week)
    4. REC (2007) - what do u get with low-lit docu style filming + flesh-eating neighbors = a perfect screamfest
    5. Funny Games (seriously twisted stuff...the horror is as real as it gets. I don't *ever* want to watch this film again)
    6. SAW (2004...nindot og concept)
    7. Dracula (by FF Copolla) - nice re-boot of the "done-to-death" vampire story
    8. Child's Play (mahadlok ko'g doll tungod aning salidaha)
    9. IT (mahadlok sad ko'g clown tungod aning salidaha...ehehe)
    10. The Frighteners (seriously underrated horror movie)

Naa pa gyud:
    11. Event Horizon (best sci-fi horror, imo)
    12. Jacob's Ladder (twisted, twisted imagery)
    13. 28 Days Later (zombie madness!)
    14. Frailty (another underrated suspense/thriller)
    15. Poltergeist (more of them evil clowns!!!) - sorry this is supposed to be on the previous reply so, P.S. nlng ni
    I loved The Orphanage and REC, Spain is releasing some great stuff lately... check out The Devil's Backbone.

Which version of Funny Games did you watch? I've just seen the remake with Michael Pitt. Nice movie!

Any interest in French extreme cinema? I was blown away by Haute Tension, Martyrs & Inside, disturbing stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by reptoid View Post
    I loved The Orphanage and REC, Spain is releasing some great stuff lately... check out The Devil's Backbone.

Which version of Funny Games did you watch? I've just seen the remake with Michael Pitt. Nice movie!

Any interest in French extreme cinema? I was blown away by Haute Tension, Martyrs & Inside, disturbing stuff though.

Sakto ka about Spain's really good crop of horro films coming out lately. Wala pa ko ka-kita sa The Devil's Backbone, but the title sounds interesting already. So i'm downloading it na as I type. hehehe.

I saw the Austrian version (1997)...it still disturbs me to this day. The sadism/cruelty was just so pointless. Those boys (Peter and Paul) had no logical reason for their cruelty. They just were. And the situation was so real. It could happen to anyone. That's probably the reason why the film stuck...

I heard about Haute Tension na, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet (I decided against downloading Haute Tension a few months back kay the movie still I saw was of a person soaked in blood...hahaha...so I chickened out). But I will check HT and Martyrs & Inside soon. Salamat sa pag share..now I have 3 movies to look forward to watching.

Quote Originally Posted by reptoid View Post

Sakto ka about Spain's really good crop of horro films coming out lately. Wala pa ko ka-kita sa The Devil's Backbone, but the title sounds interesting already. So i'm downloading it na as I type. hehehe.

I saw the Austrian version (1997)...it still disturbs me to this day. The sadism/cruelty was just so pointless. Those boys (Peter and Paul) had no logical reason for their cruelty. They just were. And the situation was so real. It could happen to anyone. That's probably the reason why the film stuck...

I heard about Haute Tension na, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet (I decided against downloading Haute Tension a few months back kay the movie still I saw was of a person soaked in blood...hahaha...so I chickened out). But I will check HT and Martyrs & Inside soon. Salamat sa pag share..now I have 3 movies to look forward to watching.

Old: Nosferatu (1922)

New: The Others (2011)

sorry, double post

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 37 123411 ... LastLast