Blog Entries

Thumbs up A Bill Supporting School for Athletes

DAPITAN CITY, ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE- Lawmakers are pushing for the establishment of a Philippine High School for Sports (PHSS) to provide a more enhanced education for budding athletes. Under Senate Bill 2620 or the “Philippine High School for Sports Act of 2011,” the PHSS will provide scholarships for secondary education to exceptional students in sports.

Training programs will be offered to develop students to compete in national, regional and Olympic levels.The bill’s author Senator Pia Cayetano said the PHSS is modeled after the Philippine Science High School (PSHS) and the Philippine High School for the Arts (PHSA), two groups of secondary education institutions that have very specific teaching programs that develop scientists and artists, respectively.

Cayetano, who skipped the opening of the Palarong Pambansa 2011 weekend, said she had pushed for the passage of the SB 2620 last Tuesday during the Senate plenary session.

She stressed that the recent win of Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, as well as the growing popularity of the football team Azkals, have proven that sports help raise the passion of Filipinos and cultivate national pride.
    “The creation of the PHSS is long overdue. We need to breed new generations of homegrown sports heroes to elevate the country's performance in regional and international sports competitions in the long-term, and at the same time, serve as an inspiration for our people, especially the youth.”

Senator Edgardo Angara also stated that the PHSS should bring back the luster of Filipino champions to a global audience. He stressed that Filipino athletes have won medals in international competitions.
    However, the country has yet to bag a gold medal at the Olympics.
    Angara added that countries that win Olympic gold medals often have institutionalized training.

“Olympic heavyweights such as Russia, Australia, Germany, China and Canada all have sport schools which mold all of their world-class athletes. Even our neighbors in Southeast Asia have followed suit, including Singapore, Malaysia, India and Thailand,” he said.
    Lawmakers push high school for Filipino athletes - Yahoo! News

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Bill Supporting School for Athletes

This is a great opportunity for the younger generation to really excel in the sports they're most passionate about. Too bad I don't get to be in one anymore but at least my future kids would be able to, if ever the bill does get approved.

Blog Entries

Maynta masupportahan ni na bill kay nindot ni dah!!!

Blog Entries

kining balitaa nindot jud ni, sauna ra ta ni nila gibuhat susama sa ubang nasod nga mo support jud ug mga athletes, mao kasagaran sa ubang nasod daghan sila ug gold medals,, kita wla pa jud intawn...

this is a long overdue bill. i hope it gets enacted into law.

ang problema nalang puhon is ang funding. mag yagaw pa man gani sa PSC..

6.    Advertisement