Page 1 of 44 123411 ... LastLast

Default Istoryan Readers: Book reviews and recommendations~

In Cebu, I'm mostly known by friends and acquantances as a guitarist or as a web developer. But my secret passion is reading (and writing) and here are the books I bought and read and loved last year:

RED DRAGON, Thomas Harris - the movie was about chasing a serial killer with the help of another serial killer. The book is that but is also a whole lot more. In my opinion, it is one of the amazing disections of a psychotic's mind, literally from the time of his birth, his tortured childhood, repressed manhood to his eventual "becoming".

BLACK DAHLIA, James Ellroy - the debut novel from the writer of L.A. Confidential, gives a fictionalized account of the true life murder of an aspiring actress in post-war Los Angeles. Best damn crime story I've ever read.

THE GODFATHER, Mario Puzo - I've seen the movie 22 times but only decided to buy the book last year. Strangely enough, it was still a new and eye-opening experience. Mario Puzo is the master of the gangster novel.

LORD OF THE RINGS, JRR Tolkien - 1, 500 pages in 4 weeks. Tiring, daunting, challenging but utterly rewarding.

NOLI ME TANGERE, Jose Rizal - Things are different when you're already a grown-up. A book that used to piss me off as a child is now inspiring me as an adult. I'm currently pestering publishers here and abroad about me adapting and translating this baby into a comic book. HONEST!

AMERICAN GODS, Neil Gaiman - my new most-favourite novel from my new most-favourite writer! Former comic book writer decides to do novels and this is what you get: a road trip, urban fantasy, black comedy, modern fable about Gods in a country that doesn't believe in them anymore.

Default Recommended Reading

If you're into fantasy stuff..
    I highly recommend DAVID EDDINGS Stuff..
    start with the Belgariad series
    then the Malloreon series
    then the Elenium series
    then the Tamuli series
    It's fairly long ... 5 books per series for the Belgariad and Malloreon.. about 450 pages per book
    3 Book per series for the Elenium and the Tamuli .. 500 pages per book

I use to read these stuff over and over again ... I just love it.

Why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

NOLI ME TANGERE, Jose Rizal --sounds interesting, I'll look for that book again. Although Rizal (and his exploits ) is one of few people that inspired to become to what i am now.

Quote Originally Posted by EZRA
    If you're into fantasy stuff..
    I highly recommend DAVID EDDINGS Stuff..
    start with the Belgariad series
    then the Malloreon series
    then the Elenium series
    then the Tamuli series
    It's fairly long ... 5 books per series for the Belgariad and Malloreon.. about 450 pages per book
    3 Book per series for the Elenium and the Tamuli .. 500 pages per book

I use to read these stuff over and over again ... I just love it.
    If you want to read MY stuff, look out for PROPHECY MAGAZINE (www.prophecymagazine.com). I've got a short story coming out from them starting with issue # 2. Available only in the US.

I Love Espionage Books. Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum.

But I mostly read spiritual books and magazines.

Jeffrey Eugenides' VIRGIN SUICIDES ..... it's very hard to find, i borrowed a copy from a friend and havent finished yet ....... im looking for a copy everywhere...happy hunting nalang..... na a hinu on available sa internet.... worth it

I saw the movie adaptation by Sophia Coppola. Pretty nice.

Mao banang si Kirsten Dunst?

Carlo.. I'll check it out sa Newstands...

Why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

Or, you can visit: www.prophecymagazine.com

Thanks in advance. I can e-mail you the preview pages if you like. They're comics, so pretty nifty art.

By the way, I have to warn you, my first 3 stories are pretty lame. It was only in my 4 submission that I actually got into a sort of a groove.

Now, I'm working on a multi-part serial. It's a sci-fi/wester/noir tale set in Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Borromeo
    I saw the movie adaptation by Sophia Coppola. Pretty nice.
    where did you get the video? i heard the movie's very nice.
    OT: ig unsa nimu si peter borromeo?

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 44 123411 ... LastLast