Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Redford White R.I.P.

Redford White - 1955-2010. Kudos to this man, PRIDE OF THE CEBUANOS

Filipino comedian Cipriano Cermeño, 54, popularly known as Redford White, passed away on Sunday morning.

Simon Serrano, a family friend, said Cermeño died of complications from brain and lung cancer.

"He had been sick since last February. We tried to consult with other doctors for him to survive, but he passed away this morning," Serrano said in an interview by telephone.

He added that the wake of "Tito Redford" may begin at 3 p.m. Sunday in his Caloocan City home.

Jay Agras, desk officer of Barangay 177 in Caloocan City, confirmed that Cermeño passed away "after 6 a.m. today." Cermeño is a resident of the barangay.

"Pinuntahan po ng tanod ang bahay nila kaninang 9:44 a.m. Napag-alaman na namatay na nga siya. Confirmed na po (A local volunteer already went to Cermeño’s house at 9:44 a.m. It was learned that he had died. It’s confirmed),"

The actor-comedian is survived by his wife and daughter.

Cermeño's friends in show business announced his demise on the social networking site Twitter.

"At 6:47 [a.m.] today, my great friend, fellow diver and a wonderful human being known to all as Redford White passed away peacefully," said singer and APO Hiking Society member Jim Paredes in his Twitter account.

Paredes said Cermeño died of "complications due to cancer in his lungs and brain."

In his Twitter account, actor Gabe Mercado also said that Cermeño "kept his condition secret even from close friends."

"Redford White was a mentor, a man who had tremendous respect for his craft and was perhaps the most generous man I knew. Rest in peace," Mercado added.

Cermeño began his movie career in the late 1970s. He rose to fame in the television sitcom "Buddy en Sol" with Eric Quizon during the early '90s.

His movies in the 1990s include "Haba-baba-doo! Puti-puti-poo," "Tong Tatlong Tatay Kong Pakitong-kitong," and "Tik Tak Toys: My Kolokotoys."

MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATE) Comedian Redford White succumbed to brain and lung cancer Sunday morning. He was 54. True to his calling as a funnyman, White took his final bow, not with tears but with laughter.
    Friends who visited him at his Quezon City home last week, recalled that the comedian was in a jovial mood.
    “For the first time, we saw him laughing heartily,” said frequent movie and TV costar Ces Quesada.
    His colleagues remember White, or Cipriano Cermeno II in real life, as a “quiet, unassuming fellow.”
    Director Wenn Deramas, who worked with White on “Kokey,” one of his last TV shows on ABS-CBN in 2007, said the comedian was always “quiet, sitting in a corner and reading books on the set.”
    “Buddy en Sol” costar Eric Quizon described White as a “dedicated actor [whom] everyone admired.”
    Although he wasn’t rowdy, White was “a fun coworker … [who was] always ready to collaborate,” Deramas added.
    A native of Cebu, White shot to fame as a cafeteria waiter on the IBC 13 sitcom, “Iskul Bukol,” which ran from the late 1970s to the early 1980s.
    Quesada said the comedian first worked with the comic trio, Tito, Vic and Joey, and director Bert de Leon.
    “I actually discovered him,” De Leon told the Philippine Daily Inquirer in a phone interview. “I spotted him at the old Broadcast City. I learned from the staff that he was an aspiring comedy writer from Cebu.”
    De Leon sensed that White had talent and asked him to do a scene with the late comedian Bing “Mang Tim-I” Angeles. They clicked instantly.
    “People in the studio kept laughing,” he said. White’s screen test eventually became part of an episode of “Iskul Bukol.”
    “His real name, Cipriano, was hard to remember. Joey [de Leon] and I thought of the screen name Redford White instead,” Bert de Leon said.
    He added that White “never changed at all. He remained painfully shy and soft-spoken” even after he became famous.
    “I feel bad that I didn’t get to see him. Bert and I were supposed to visit him this week,” Vic Sotto told the Inquirer.
    Quesada, who worked with White for five years on the RPN 9 sitcom, “Buddy en Sol,” in the 1990s, agreed: “Red was never the type who sought to be the center of attention. He was playful and funny on camera, but he was a tad serious off-camera.”
    Like the best comedians, Dolphy and Vic Sotto, Redford wasn’t a boisterous clown in real life, she added.
    The “Buddy en Sol” family, led by costars Quesada and Quizon, assistant director Boots Plata, and talent manager Dolor Guevara, visited White at his home last Tuesday.
    “We kept laughing,” Quesada said. “He was cheerful. He was in high spirits. I remember it was the first time we ever saw him laughing out loud. But it was also painful because we knew it would be the last time we would see him.”
    Quizon described White as “a truly honest and good man. He was my comedy partner. My Sol. Together, we made people laugh and smile. I couldn’t have done it alone. He was a man who believed in his craft and valued his work. Today is one of the saddest days in my life.”
    Film Academy of the Philippines (FAP) head and fellow comedian Leo Martinez, who also directed “Buddy en Sol,” visited White last Tuesday.
    “He seemed ready to go,” Martinez said.
    Friends said White fought a valiant battle with cancer—an illness he kept secret even from his closest friends.
    In the social networking site, Twitter, comedian Gabe Mercado wrote: “He kept his condition secret, even from close friends. I didn’t even know he was ill.”
    “He was a very private person,” Quesada told the Inquirer. “He’d rather hide on the sidelines. In press conferences, he’d hardly talk. He was very shy.”
    The Internet was flooded with poignant messages from colleagues.
    Actress and TV host Ruffa Gutierrez said on Twitter: “Woke up to sad news … I will cherish our ‘Kokey’ days and remember you with a smile.”
    Also on Twitter, Mercado called White a “mentor … who had tremendous respect for his craft … [he was] perhaps the most generous man I knew.”
    Singer Gary Valenciano said on Twitter that he “felt bad about [White’s] passing … I had wonderful moments with this man.”
    According to Deramas and Quesada, White’s wake will be held at his home, near the Sto. Niño de Maligaya Shrine in Novaliches.
    Last edited by rr_sipat; 07-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    ...... may he rest in peace. thanks for the info shared.

Quote Originally Posted by emcentricity View Post
    ...... may he rest in peace. thanks for the info shared.
    Thanks also sis! Your welcome...

ha? RIP..wa q xpect dah!

RIP Mr. Redford white...

i dont like filipino films.. but i respect this man for the way he makes me smile.

may he rest in peace.

Thank you Redford for making us smile.

Blog Entries
    RIP..idol baya ni nko

Naa nama'y thread like this diba?

Quote Originally Posted by lana21 View Post
    RIP..idol baya ni nko
    prehas tah idol kaau ko ni cya og c babalo...T__T RIP SOL

May you rest in peace Sir. You'll always be remembered.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast