Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lee Tomahori's XXX2 - The Next Level

With "Once We Were Warriors" (1994) and "Mulholland Falls" (1995), Lee Tomahori presented himself as one with intelligent grit in delivering gut stories.

I now wonder he chose to direct "XXX2 - The Next Level" where he succeeded only in screaming his lungs out and shrieking to his heart's content. There is nothing in this movie that could redeem Tomahori's lost reputation. This one might have been a product of that dimwitted over-reaction of the US in calling all Hollywood conspiracy writers to a conference --- on what else could possibly happen to dearly beloved America --- in the aftermath of 9/11 event. And this is simply stupid.

I wonder why movies like this get produced.

So I guess I can make it big in the W.G.A. if only I write screenplays with impeccable formatting using the proper screenwriting software... even if my story and content is masturbatory, right?

movies like

WRONG TURN, etc they dont really have good scripts, but I'm sure their formatting was perfect.

dili ko ganahan ani na movie kai gi ilisan ang bida..., bati na kaayo...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBiddle
    I wonder why movies like this get produced.

So I guess I can make it big in the W.G.A. if only I write screenplays with impeccable formatting using the proper screenwriting software... even if my story and content is masturbatory, right?

movies like

WRONG TURN, etc they dont really have good scripts, but I'm sure their formatting was perfect.
    I wonder too.

But I guess this has nothing to do with a "well-formatted script" because in "XXX2 there is obviously none of it.

"XXX2" is 100 per cent gag-writing. But for those who do not mind the inanity of "XXX2" --- for as long as there is non-stop action --- this might yet be their film of the millennium.

And if this is the assumption of the Hollywood businessmen, then they are in for a fat senseless profit.

What I mean by formatting are technicalities like the proper slugs and the tabs in the dialogue. As I don't follow those when I write with MicroSoft Word....

but then again, if you're n0t breaking in a spec you can put a shitload of camera commands, "we" as a pronoun and have a masturbatory concept and n0t worry about getting that paycheck from the producers...

I guess only those trying to desperately break in must conform to the masochistic ways of Hollywood. The poor newbies sell. But their movie never gets made.

mura man dli nindot na movie.

guys, it might be time to step back a bit and take in a breathe of fresh air.

not all movies need to be intellectually stimulating, thought provoking, soulful.
    sometimes we just need to sit back, relax and be blasted silly by the portrayal
    of such senseless violence, devoid of anything closely resembling real life, we
    could not help but be entertained.

enjoying any form of art is an acquired taste. overtime our subconscious develops
    towards a certain taste. once developed we sometimes tend to take in less and less
    of other "tastes". trouble can occur when we reach this stage. without diversity,
    we often forget why we like what we have acquired and in time it becomes less
    enjoyable. and this my dear sirs is my point, diversity. we need movies like xxx2
    if only to remind us that we like something else.

so i say this and i'm saying this with all humility, maybe... just maybe...
    it is time to get off the high horse and go mingle with the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by devnull
    guys, it might be time to step back a bit and take in a breathe of fresh air.

not all movies need to be intellectually stimulating, thought provoking, soulful.
    sometimes we just need to sit back, relax and be blasted silly by the portrayal
    of such senseless violence, devoid of anything closely resembling real life, we
    could not help but be entertained.

enjoying any form of art is an acquired taste. overtime our subconscious develops
    towards a certain taste. once developed we sometimes tend to take in less and less
    of other "tastes". trouble can occur when we reach this stage. without diversity,
    we often forget why we like what we have acquired and in time it becomes less
    enjoyable. and this my dear sirs is my point, diversity. we need movies like xxx2
    if only to remind us that we like something else.

so i say this and i'm saying this with all humility, maybe... just maybe...
    it is time to get off the high horse and go mingle with the crowd
    devnull,

By all means, enjoy "XXX2" to your heart's content. There is nothing in this thread that asked you not to enjoy it. But, please, do not suggest that those who do not like it for certain reasons enjoy it because, with no offense meant, it is like eating dog meat. Now, in the name of diversity which you bannered in your post, do not ask me what is wrong with dog meat.

Again, in the name of diversity, we again differ: to you "enjoying any art form is an acquired taste." If this is your case, I can only say go live with it. But in my case, "enjoying any art form is an acquired discipline." And I hope you do not fault me with this.

In "XXX2", I was simply looking for basic plausibility, a little respect to the discipline I acquired through sweet, blood and tears. If I want "intellectualizing," all I need to do is watch either Warhol of Fassbinder.

I haven't seen this movie and do not have have any plans to do so. I simply cannot see Ice Cube (Darius Miles) as a good action hero, even if he is flanked by Samuel Jackson and Willem Dafoe.

In "XXX2", Tomahori miserably failed in capturing the character of Ice Cube who was nothing more than a cardboard cutout here.

Samuel Jackson was simply cameo; he could be written out and the movie would not miss him.

But its Willem Dafoe who oozed with outstanding performance. Dafoe here did not need to move a muscle to define his character. If there was a saving device in "XXX2", it was Dafoe.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast