Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

Default Re: CEBU and DAVAO, hand in hand for a stronger Philippines!

Thank you, John Gokongwei
    HINDSIGHT By F. Sionil Jose
    The Philippine STAR 08/27/2006

The brightest news several days ago that should have been emblazoned in the front pages of all our newspapers and greeted with hosannas in radio and television is John Gokongwei’s announcement that he was donating half of his fortune to philanthropy. He revealed this gladsome gift on the occasion of his 80th birthday.

The one and only time I met John Gokongwei was way back, at a dinner in the house of Washington SyCip. He still owned the Manila Times. I had worked at the old Manila Times (1949 to 1960) when it was owned by the Roceses, and retain fond memories of those years when the paper was the country’s biggest and most influential. That decade enabled me to see our beautiful country all the way from Sabtang in the Batanes to Sitangkai and the Turtle Islands in the south. Naturally I wanted to find out how the paper was doing and I asked John Gokongwei, voiced the hope that the new Times become like the venerable New York Times, open with its political choice, but still credible and influential, with booming advertising and an enterprising staff. He said he would wait for one of his children, who was then studying journalism in America, to run the paper. He also told my wife, who manages our little bookshop, of his interest in Philippine books, old and new. In that conversation, he surprised me with his Tagalog fluency. I suspected his Cebuano was perfect for he grew up in Cebu. In that brief encounter, he also impressed me with how he understood that Makati buzzword today, CSR (corporate social responsibility).

In February 1999, I questioned in this paper the loyalty of those Chinese Filipinos who send billions to Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China, money that should remain here so that we would have new industries that would give employment to Filipinos, and thereby prevent our women from going abroad to work as housemaids and as prostitutes.

In that article, I proposed that the Chinese schools be closed, that if the Chinese Filipinos are to learn Chinese, they should do so in special language schools. I suggested that the Chinese social and business associations be disbanded, that they should join Filipino business and social organizations – all this would hasten their integration in the society and, hopefully, inculcate in them loyalty to this country. I asked that they should maintain their loyalty to Chinese culture, but not to the Chinese state. And finally I asked: in the event of a war with China, on which side would they be?

To this day, I haven’t changed these opinions for which I got a lot of flak. One came from Robina, Gokongwei’s daughter.

In my reply to her, I wished her her father’s wisdom and never to forget that wealth carries with it a heavy responsibility to this nation.

John Gokongwei acquired his wisdom through years of trial and travail in his boyhood when, at the age of 13, his father died and he was left to support his siblings.

John Gokongwei did this diligently; with a bicycle, he brought his marketable goods wherever he could display them.

Then, World War II, a watershed in our history, which added to that wisdom and enterprise. And finally, after the war, through the help of the banker Albino SyCip, he obtained capital to establish his businesses in corn milling, then food processing, pharmaceuticals, textiles, and on to real estate, banking and Cebu Pacific, which is the only Philippine airline with completely new jets. JG Holdings, which he heads, is supposed to have more than a billion dollars – half of which he is now donating to charity through the foundation that bears his own name.

Like all of us octogenarians, John Gokongwei saw this country ravaged and savaged by its political scum, and its rapacious oligarchs. He knows full well the reasons why this country – once Southeast Asia’s most progressive – has become the sick man of the region.

He has already identified education as a priority with his donation of an engineering school to his alma mater, University of San Carlos in Cebu. (same alma mater of @diehardbisdak....hehhehehe)....(by the way, he donated P50 million to U.S.C.)

May I suggest that he look carefully all over the country, at the most depressed areas, and help similar schools in Mindanao, in the Cagayan Valley, in Samar – concentrate on government schools, including vocational high schools run by religious organizations, because these schools have fairly good chances of longevity.

The next priority is food production, so that no Filipino will ever starve or go hungry: preservation of food, support for agricultural schools.

The third is health, which is also Bill Gates’ global target: medical facilities for the very poor who die when they get sick because hospitals and medicines are beyond their reach.

Entrepreneurship and venture capital are also priority areas. As the economist Bernie Villegas has often expounded, we have a mass market – 85 million customers. Why do we have to import all those motorcycles from China? They are not complicated machines – we can manufacture them here. Build factories instead of shopping malls and fancy condominiums!

When Alexander the Great died – this man whose dominion included half of the world – his hands were exposed, open, to show that he was not bringing anything with him. For that is the absolute truth – when we die, we bring nothing to the grave but our name.

What John Gokongwei has demonstrated in this noblest of gestures is his faith in the Filipino people – unblemished faith not shared by those wealthy Spanish mestizos, those brazen Indios and those wealthy Chinese Filipinos who salted their money abroad to keep us poor.

What John Gokongwei has also done is dignify the fruits of capitalism, by giving much of it back to the people who helped him make it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, John Gokongwei.

Let's relive Indak -indak sa Kadalanan in Kadayawan Festival 2006!

HSBC to expand in Cebu, Davao
    By Ehda M. Dagooc
    The Freeman 09/01/2006

Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) is currently making negotiations with the Bangko Sentral Ng Pilipinas (BSP) in a request for a branch expansion in Cebu and Davao.

HSBC chief executive officer (CEO) Warner Manning in an interview said that the bank has seen the opportunity to open up an additional branch in Cebu, and in Davao this year, or early next year.

He said the second branch in Cebu will be twice the size of its current branch located at the Cebu Business Park (CBP).

Of the 21 HSBC branches in the Philippines, most of these are located in Luzon, or in Metro Manila. This time, he said it is a fertile time for the bank to expand in the regional areas like Cebu and Davao.

Being an international bank, with presence in almost every key area in the globe with over 9,800 offices in 77 countries, Manning said the bank has find its niche to capture Filipino depositors especially those who are dealing with international trade.

In fact, the bank recently introduced its newest service desk in Cebu to provide assistance to the exporters and importers, by providing the "Trade Service", a dedicated service facility for global businessmen.

He said as soon as BSP will approve its application for an opening of one more branch in Cebu, HSBC will immediately work on the opening of its second branch here.

Aside from finding its niche in its international banking expertise, which effectively draws in more clients, HSBC which has been in the Philippines for over 131 years is seeing a good growth potential in the credit card business.

In an earlier interview with HSBC senior vice president for marketing and product development Suresh Nanoo, he said that immature market for credit card usage in the Philippines has given HSBC a huge opportunity to accelerate growth.

Although HSBC is not the number one credit card issuer in the Philippines, it claimed that it is the fastest growing issuer in the country.

In 2004, this global banking powerhouse, hit the 500,000 number of credit card membership, a 35 percent growth over the previous year.

Just like any credit card issuer, Nanoo said HSBC also has past due problems, but it's minimal and it is able to control its delinquency issues.

The bank is able to widen its consumer base through the credit card business, and reach out to broader market aside from corporate, because of the fast moving credit card trade.

OT: ...another successful Cebuano businessman is also a product of U.S.C.... Mr. Bernie Liu

Company Profile:

GOLDEN ABC INC., Mandaue City, Philippines
    Updated: 09/2004

DESCRIPTION:
    GOLDEN ABC, INC., was established since 1986. Since then, it has become the builder and owner of succesful brands, i.e., PENSHOPPE, OXYGEN, MEMO and soon to release another new and exciting brand. With two major offices in A.S. Fortuna Mandaue City, Cebu and Edsa, Quezon City

Headquarters / Factory: Mandaue City, Cebu - Philippines

Web Site: http://www.penshoppe.com

Cebu Holdings mulls building more condos
    By Ehda M. Dagooc
    The Freeman 09/01/2006

Cebu Holdings Inc. (CHI) now considers building more condominiums at the Cebu Business Park after the sales success of Park Tower 1 and 2.

"We are inclined to put up condominium projects in CBP, but it is still on the drawing board," said CHI chief operations officer Francis O. Monera.

Monera said there is strong demand for office and residential condominium in Cebu, largely driven by the influx of Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) investments, and other Information Technology (IT) outsourcing that comes to operate in Cebu.

In the next year or two, the 50-hectare CBP will be transformed into full business district as six buildings are currently under construction, including already the P1.4 billion worth of condominium project by a Korean company, the Tower Place Residential Condominiums.

Monera said CHI is still calibrating the market, as to when the company will start its condominium project inside the business park.

He said the 50-hectare CBP only has 12 lots left unsold, from a total of 100 lots available since the park was developed over a decade ago.

He however, defended that the plan of the company to put up more condominium in CBP will not affect the marketability of the Korean-developed condominium within the park.

He said the demand is so strong that competition will be overpowered because of the growing clamor for condominiums.

According to Monera, the growth of IT and tourism sectors in Cebu have both benefited the residential and office demand, thus developers are now being re-energized to put in more money for these kinds of projects.

In fact, he said CHI's newly introduced extra-high end residential subdivision in Lilo-an, Cebu has posted an encouraging sales return, with 70 percent take-up of the 86 lots after only few weeks of selling.

CHI posted a 106 percent growth performance for the first half of 2006. The company closed June 2006 with a P114 million net income, compared to the same period of last year's P55.3 million.

Gross revenue for the same period increased by 70 percent to P480 million.

Ayala Center Cebu (ACC), the company's shopping mall component contributed almost half of the total bottom line with P206 million gross revenue contributions for the period.

Other income contributors include sales of commercial and residential lots, condominium units, and sports club shares.

Davao City CBD's...

silicon diamond, davao city
    [img width=500 height=239]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/badith/silicon.jpg[/img]

riverfront corporate city, maa, davao city
    [img width=500 height=346]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/badith/riverfront.jpg[/img]

bajada, davao city
    [img width=310 height=500]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/badith/bajadanite.jpg[/img]

Cebu...

[img width=350 height=500]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/diehardbisdako/collage2.jpg[/img]

[img width=349 height=500]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/diehardbisdako/collage.jpg[/img]

This is really an Off Topic: If you try to use the search engine of GOOGLE and YAHOO and wanting to find out about MANILA, CEBU and DAVAO....here's the results on how many web pages (information) available on the internet:

with Google.....

Manila - 57,100,000 web pages
    Cebu - 6,940,000 web pages
    Davao - 3,080,000 web pages

with Yahoo.....

Manila - 33,500,000 web pages
    Cebu - 6,190,000 web pages
    Davao - 3,290,000 web pages

....wala lang.... just want to show the figures.....hehhehehehhe!... pero panalo ang Manila....

...Cebu success story

Bibingka helps send this man’s kids to school
    By Irene R. Sino-Cruz
    Inquirer
    Last updated 07:45am (Mla time) 09/03/2006

Published on page B2 of the September 3, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANDAUE CITY—The business of bibingka (rice cake) making may not seem like much, but to Zosimo Q. Mayol, known here as the “Bibingka King,” it not only provides livelihood for the family but also sends his children to school.

Mayol, whose bibingka is a local top seller, says he has been using an original recipe developed in the 1800s, with just a few revisions. The recipe came from his great grandfather Pablo and inherited by his grandfather Maximo and father Lorenzo.

The basic ingredients for the original rice cake of Mandaue are ground rice, coconut milk, white sugar and yeast. The taste, however, varies from one maker to another, depending on how they measure and mix the ingredients.

“I was still 12 or 13 years old, when I started helping out in the family business. While there were many who knew how to make bibingka in Mandaue, my grandmother was the first who thought of making a business out of it,” he says in Cebuano.

The other makers sell their products only during the fiesta, Mayol recalls. At that time, they sold three pieces of bibingka for 10 centavos.

Now, Cebu has eight or nine bibingka makers, but but they could not match the taste of Mandaue’s bibingka, he points out.

The family business was discontinued when his mother died in the late 1980s and it was not until the mid-1990s when Mayol decided to revive it. At that time, he saw that his take-home pay was not enough to pay for his sons’ education.

Mayol resigned as supervisor from a furniture company, where he had worked for 20 years, to put up his venture.

With P2,000 as initial capital, Mayol and his wife established Mayol’s Delicacies. Mayol prepares the ingredients while his wife cooks—a job that took about 12 hours or from midnight till noon. On Saturdays, they start cooking at 8 p.m. and finish at noon the next day.

His mother’s former customers started buying from him and, by word of mouth, his client base grew.

His sons help out in the business. One delivers at 5 a.m. every day while the others prepare the ingredients.

Despite the presence of many competitors, Mayol’s product is the most sought after. What makes his product different from the rest is the process and the quality of ingredients used.

While other makers use a machine to grind rice, Mayol has his family’s antique mortar and wooden pestles. He uses quality ingredients to maintain product standards.

Mayol does not use ovens for cooking, but follows the ancient way of placing hot embers on top of and below the mould. One bibingka takes 8-12 minutes to cook.

Mayol’s Delicacies makes up to 240 pieces of bibingka on regular days and an additional 100 pieces on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Despite the growing competition, Mayol is convinced that he made the right decision to go into business. Two of his sons have graduated from college, one is taking up engineering, and two others are in high school. In fact, he is thinking of expanding his business.

To respond to the increasing demand for his product, Mayol plans to move to a bigger area but this would require more capital. He also intends to improve the cooking area because many students and some foreigners come to observe how bibingka is made.

He is also developing new recipes, such as the “special” bibingka, which contains eggs and condensed milk as additional ingredients.

OT: ..... around Cebu

Cebu’s new ‘watering’ hole
    By Jaime Picornell
    Inquirer
    Last updated 09:10pm (Mla time) 09/02/2006

Published on page D1 of the September 3, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

THE SHANGRI-LA’S MACTAN ISLAND Resort and Spa threw a bash for more than 300 to inaugurate its new Italian restaurant. Called Acqua, as in water, it is located in the old Paparazzi space.

Guests started arriving at the appointed hour of 11 a.m. Picture-window glass panels gave scenic views of the aquamarine pool, swaying palms, and the ocean beyond. Imagine moonlight nights.

Welcoming all were GM Tim Wright, with lovely wife Mona; resident manager Richard Simmons and German wife Eva; ever smiling executive assistant manager for F&B Stefan Kapek; director for marketing and sales Jopy Lopez; and executive chef Trevor Stevens.

Solicitous as ever were communications director Sharon Samarista, her assistant manager Lesley Ann Tan, and communications exec Samantha Lazarte. Busy as the proverbial bee was Vincent Tian, F&B manager.

Acqua’s executive chef, Marco Anzani, only appeared after the extensive buffet was laid out. Beside him was his bride of just a few months, Kate Dychangco.

Seafood galore

The mushroom soup was to die for, and so was the tomato cream. There was seafood galore—oysters, giant scallops, shrimps and prawns, crabs … The antipasti buffet groaned with delights. Every imaginable species of lettuce was on it, with dressings to go.

From a basket came crusty bread dipped in olive oil, broken into morsels and topped with either anchovies or one of the cheeses arrayed. An oven outdoors dispensed pizzas, the four-cheese variety be the favorite. People piled their plates with dessert to enjoy with the strong Italian coffee.

Cebu City Mayor Tommy Osmeña and beauteous wife Margot were there, stopping by the table of Teresin Mendezona, Pinky and Winglip Chang for witty repartee. They were joined by slim-as-a-reed Margie Lhuillier.

A group of Manila media people loomed into view. Pretty Lia Bernardo had all eyes in her direction. She promised to be back in October, and at the Mactan Shangri-La, for an anniversary party of Metro Society mag. The latest issue was sold out in Cebu, said correspondent Maricris Encarnacion.

Music Theatre Australia provided Italian operatic arias for entertainment. Titled “Diva,” the program featured sopranos Tania de Jong and Dominique Oyston, plus tenor Jonathan Morton, guest artist from Pot Pourri.

Sing-a-long

The audience sang the lyrics or hummed the tunes of familiar pieces, specially the “toast” song from “La Traviata.”

Much applauded, too, were the Synchro Swans from Manila that performed an aquatic ballet in the pool.

The party was more than just having fun. It aimed to raise funds for charity through an auction of items that ranged from a box of prime wine from Bacchus, to frames done in rare Shagreen.

Five top of the line Jewelled bags were donated by Joanna Lhuillier, with her signature in them etched on a bar of sterling silver. Beling Go Ching Hai couldn’t resist them and got two.

The Shangri-La Mactan put up a two-night stay at the posh Panoramic Suite, with half a day of luxuriating at the Chi Spa’s Grand Villa, plus a festive dinner at Acqua. Michael and Joanna Lhuillier outbid everyone else.

By the time the opera stars started to warble “Time to Say Goodbye,” it was only then everyone realized it was 3 p.m., time set for the end of the affair.

But how could anyone tear himself/herself away from the wondrous event? Besides, the champagne kept flowing, as did the excellent Proseco premium white wine from Italy. Mikel and Claudine Ugarte, with their brood, stayed on until 7 p.m. And they were not the last to go.

Another recent memorable event at the Mactan Shangri-La was a Tea Appreciation Luncheon. Six different kinds of tea from as many exotic parts of China accompanied an equal number of dishes from the Chinese restaurant, aptly named Tea of Spring.

Chinese tea master Chao Zong Wan ruled supreme, wielding a meter-long spout to brew the leaves in a crystal teapot. Tea for the appetizer platter was “West Lake Ming Chin Longjin,” described as rich in Vitamin C.

“Perfect Harmony” to cool the body was served with the pumpkin broth, while the saint of all teas, “Taiwan Dongding Oolong,” came with the lemon fish fillet and squid. Good for cleaning and fighting bad cholesterol, we were told.

With the beef tenderloin and king prawns came “Old Pe-ur,” fermented for eight to 10 years. Sharon said it could really wash out even the worst cholesterol. So everyone eagerly sipped it.

We were just about ready for “Heavenly Robe,” jasmine flowers, that Sharon said was good for circulation and digestion. It came with a bowl of fried rice that concluded the meal.

But there was more—dessert of glutinous rice and ice cream. Of the tea, “Everlasting Memories,” Master Chao said it “has beauty benefits, eradicates pimples, alleviates ulcers, and increases vitality,” specially for men. Get it?

In the Shangi-La Mactan calendar is a Singaporean food fest until Aug. 27; the inaugural of a ballroom with a capacity for 800 in November; and the Asean Summit in December. All official delegates will staying there, including His Majesty, the Sultan of Brunei, we surmise.

11.    Advertisement

Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast