Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Penalosa welcomes montiel showdown

PENALOSA WELCOMES MONTIEL SHOWDOWN

By Salven L. Lagumbay
    PhilBoxing.com
    Thu, 01 Oct 2009

Former WBO bantam king Gerry Penalosa has expressed interest in a proposed showdown with current titleholder Fernando Montiel of Mexico in a fight set for December 19 in Cancun, Mexico.

Penalosa, in an interview with this writer, expressed surprise albeit thankful to WBO president Paco Valcarcel for ruling that a fight against Montiel be made following several postponements of the latter's fight against mandatory challenger Erik Morel.

"I'm ready to face Montiel. Me and him are meant for each other to fight. We're about the same size. Thanks to the WBO for this development," Penalosa said the other day.

Earlier, WBO prexy Valcarcel announced that Morel will now face Filipino Z Gorres in an interim bout on November 14 underneath the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto superbout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Penalosa, meanwhile, will have to face Montiel in December, with the winner of the two bouts colliding next year to determine one regular WBO bantam champion.

"It is in the WBO's interest for there to be only one [WBO] champion in each division," Valcarcel was quoted as telling ESTO.

Penalosa is coming off a tenth-round defeat at the hands of the bigger WBO superbantam champion Juan Manuel Lopez this April in Puerto Rico.

Montiel, meanwhile, is coming off a controversial third-round technical draw with compatriot Alejandro Valdez in Nayarit, Mexico. Valdez was initially declared a TKO winner over Montiel, only to be told later the fight outcome had been reversed to a technical draw.

for me gerry must retire and focus in training ND.

Fernando Montiel is a slugger that packs power in both hands but lacks technical skills or not that superb compared to the likes of donaire, gorres, mijares and yes gerry penalosa. Montiel's style is tailor made for gerry.

I sense a gerry penalosa unanimous decision for this one. gerry's defensive style and counterpunching will slow down montiel...

mahimo naning 3x world champion si penalosa ani. Kung modaug si gorres ug gerry sa ilang away psibleng mahitabo ang Pinoy Vs Pinoy in world title .

If gerry wins, I doubt if retirement will be an option. He can take montiel's punches. This is a classic showdown. Gerry's not done yet. Yes he was battered by the bigger and younger JML, but I still believe he's got what it takes to beat Montiel, he can knock this guy out.

up tani coz gerry is not done yet

im pretty sure montiel will utilize a lot of movement to throw gerry off. mao ra man nay weakness ni gerry. pero mo hamag si montiel, kaonon gyud na siyang penalosa, mao nay ampay ni gerry, labi na nga the same size ra sila. montiel's chin is suspect.. he's been down several times before.. layu ra sa chin ni gerry.. ring generalship, advantage pod gerry

Elite Member
    maayo unta naay PPV ani nga fight.

free tv ra ni most likely.. di man pang ppv si gerry gud.. pero nindot au cya tan awn mo away

Mas nindot ni compared to gerry's fight against juan manuel lopez. Kaya ra kau ni nya c montiel..... go gerry!

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast