Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The term P.I. is politically incorrect .... Rude and ignorant !

Last month in celebration of June 12th (Independence Day), I seen a full page ad promoting a new line of t-shirts by Islands Souvenir brand called "P.I.", subtitled "Philippine Islands". Jay Aldeguer and his company Islands Group. says his new line "P.I." generated such a positive response that they are going to roll out new retail outlets to sell the new line. He believes this line is in tune with a growing sense of nationalism in the Philippines.

Philippine Islands ( P.I.) was the name that the Americans gave the country when it was a colony. When the Republic of the Philippins won their independence the name was changed to Republic of the Philippines or The Philippines. The name and the flag are items of great respect here. That is why P.I. is considered rude.

To be rude doesn't require intention, but ignorance certainly helps.

Our proud nation has a name, that people fought and died for, to reduce it to a "geographic location" does a disservice to the Republic of the Philippines

Or maybe it is a joke and really means "Puta'ng ina".

I agree with your sentiments .
    " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. " - 2nd Amendment , Bill of Rights of the United States of America

wooooh got new Learnings here..

thnks for posting....

However, calling the Philippines P.I. may also be a means to call the place what it is. Despite the change of name, the Philippines is still made up of islands- therefore, making use of P.I. as an abbreviated term to refer to the Philippines is logical. In my opinion, since the name does not necessarily portray colonialism (unlike French Indochina)- it is fine to call it P.I.

Additionally, if we really want to trace the roots- we were given the name "Philippines" by our Spanish colonizers- should we change that as well?

Blog Entries
    ^how about Republic of Malaya?

let's have Mr. Jay Aldeguer post his comments here.

^^mao2x. to clear thngs up...

better called Philippine Islands than Partially Philippines...the term PI expresses possession and dominion over all the islands of the republic...

aahhh.. mao ba now i know

for me its ok 2 call it PI, nagbased lng tngali cla sa fact nga ang phils s composed of many islands jud, dha ra tngali na nila gkuha...

noh tanx for the info sis

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast