For all Entrepreneurs and Business men and women

Gone so soon
by Joey Concepcion

We were in Sydney last week to attend the wedding of my wife’s cousin. At first, I was hesitant to join her as we just finished the Go Negosyo Women Summit. There were so many requests for me to speak in different events. I also wanted to attend the 50th birthday of Jaza and personally welcome him to the “half century club”. But, priorities had to be set, so I joined my wife’s family reunion in Sydney.

While in Sydney, I got an SMS from a good friend, Dito Borromeo. Our common friend, Franco Delgado, passed away in the medical plane as he was heading home from Houston.

I got to know Franco eight years ago. We met in their beautiful island of Hermana Mayor. Some say that I got to know Franco at a time in his life when he was more tamed. I did not bother to probe what they meant. In the Eulogy of his sister Isabel, she described Franco as naughty during his childhood days. He also smoked at a very early age. I remember Franco even telling me how naughty he was in school that his father had to ship him out to boarding school.

We did not have much in common, since I neither like fast cars nor motorcycling. What I found in Franco was his zest for life. He enjoyed it. He loved the beach and the beauty of the Philippines. He would go around the country, biking with his friends. He loved the Philippines and believed that we have what it takes to be a great nation. He used to share with me his business ideas. I saw how optimistic he was.

Whenever we got together, he would always tell me how much he loved his wife, Ros Ros, and his children. He knew he wasn't a perfect husband, but he loved his wife for always being there for him. In fact, what his brother Mayee said about him being cariñoso was true. He would spontaneously call his siblings and would not hesitate to say “mahal kita”. In one of his last text messages to me, when I was trying to get him into Vitamin C therapy, he mentioned “Pare, mahal kita”.

The last time I saw him was when he hosted dinner for us - Mike Tan, Lance Gokongwei, Kevin Belmonte and our wives. He actually cooks one of the best Sukiyakis and serves Patron Tequila as our dessert. He shared with us how lucky he has been with the many accidents and near death experiences he had. I told him that he had nine lives. He also said that maybe he is still not wanted up there. About two weeks after that night, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

With the encouragement of his family and friends, he gave a good four-month battle against the big C. I admire his courage in facing death. He gave his best in the fight. But, when he knew it was over, he wanted to die at home and see the rest of his family. Despite the odds in making it through the flight, he took the risk. I was told that he passed away, holding his son’s hand in the plane.

I share this story because life is, indeed, very short. We never really know when our time is up. As entrepreneurs or professional managers, we tend to keep ourselves busy and full of things to do. Being busy makes us feel important. But, there will come a time when we would realize that many important things in life have already slipped us by. Our children have grown. And, even sometimes, our relationship with our wife has already been taken for granted.

Franco Delgado’s journey on earth has touched his family and friends in many ways. His life reminded me to give time to enjoy life and to make sure that time with family is not taken for granted. God has given each of us an opportunity in this life on earth. The journey for each of us will be different. The people we meet are not only by accident. For me, they are predestined to guide us. We just need to have our antennas up and be sensitive to these things in life around us. Family and friends are our mentors and inspiration.

Franco was to turn 59 this year. His father, Don Paco, is 92 years old. We wonder why he has gone too soon. Life is, indeed, a journey. It is GOD who only knows the reason behind every journey. In the end, it is not how much wealth and power a person amasses. It is how he has touched the lives of people he met during his journey on earth. From what I saw at the funeral mass, Franco has touched so many people in different ways.

Franco, we will surely miss you. God has opened his doors to you… Take care my friend.