Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You CAN HELP Make the World a Better Place, Now!

Don't you know you can help make our world a better place by just simply being online and still enjoy what you normally do with your computer? Yes, YOU CAN HELP SOLVE many of the world's most urgent problems by simply donating "computer time" instead of money.

The World Community Grid is the world's largest public computing grid that tackle projects against Malnutrition, Cancer, AIDS, Dengue and even Climate Change by helping scientists and researchers get enough computing power to reduce research time from years to months by splitting or distributing information processing simultaneously, thus not only help them generate results faster but also make the whole research more "cost-effective, enabling better use of critical funds."

Recent achievements: "In 2003, with grid computing, in less than three months scientists identified 44 potential treatments to fight the deadly smallpox disease. Without the grid, the work would have taken more than one year to complete."

If you think you can help, please visit World Community Grid - Home (instructions are all there).

It's my fourth year now being a member and a proud one.

To the Mods, please move where appropriate, thanks.
    Last edited by brownprose; 11-20-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Default Better World

As for me i would do my things in my way and in good ways!!!!

Blog Entries
    This is sort of similar to SETI's screensaver (which actually uses your CPU's idle time for number-crunching). Great project, I fully support it.

-RODION

how does this work?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by c_cebrecus View Post
    how does this work?
    Volunteer computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This will truly only work (and is useful) if say, you bought your computer mainly for internet gaming, and you play for a few hours before sleeping, and leave your computer on until morning. You basically download a background application (i.e. a screensaver), that runs while you sleep. While you are in bed, your computer's idle time will be used for processing data, along with hundreds and thousand other PCs just like yours, owners are sleeping, yet their idle PC is helping to number-crunch research data.

-RODION

how secure is this...?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    how secure is this...?
    Check the wikipedia article--a lot of legitimate organizations in the scientific and socio-political development fields around the world use it. There are no known reports of deliberate individual-user exploitation because I think the method of resource use is pretty much "one-way".

-RODION

Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    how secure is this...?
    I had the same question before I joined. I am in my fourth year now and so far, no problems. Also hooked two other PCs at home for two years now and have been running without problems.

I hope you'd give it a try.

For those who are "off the-grid" yet, I encourage you to be part of this humanitarian effort and HELP SAVE LIVES. Just simply connect to the grid and your computer does the rest.
    Last edited by brownprose; 11-20-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    This is sort of similar to SETI's screensaver (which actually uses your CPU's idle time for number-crunching). Great project, I fully support it.

-RODION
    Thanks rodsky! Was thinking we can easily break the current record (the number of PCs connected to the grid by country) if all istoryans would join. The current record is held by the US (around 3,000 PCs connected) followed by France. Stats here: World Community Grid - About Us - How Grid Computing Works

I hope we can invite more people to hook up and help make the difference.

Count me in, about time I did something other than DL "questionable material" on my computer. ehehe...

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast