Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Is "modified" buddhism still buddhism?

First, read this news item:

Buddhist monks use hip hop, alcohol to attract followers - CNN.com

Then, discuss the following. Is a modified version of a religion still considered to be that religion, or something entirely new and different? And what are the implications of this modification to that original religion?

-RODION

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    I think this scenario is a good indication that we humans do adapt. To some religionist who make religion a part of their daily life it's quite a challenge in how to reconcile something made centuries ago with the present modern trends and hypes. Will for me religion is really for spirituality and should not be tainted with physical hue whatsoever, because if it does it will lost some of it's meanings and would be transformed eventually as a human concept. For me we humans have two entities the spiritual and the physical one, it is a combination of me but IMHO should never be a combination of both.

simply put, it is still Buddhism but a modified version of it. Buddhism is just a name. to modify Buddhism while maintaining its main principles is still Buddhism to me. it's like the El Shaddai Movement. it is a charismatic movement quite different from your usual Catholic Sunday mass. but it's still Catholicism, just a modified version of it.

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar
    Aren't protestants just modified Catholics?

unya ang Katoliko modified version pud sa Jew?

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    good observation! lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Yes, but it's no longer called Catholicism.

-RODION

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chad_tukes View Post
    simply put, it is still Buddhism but a modified version of it. Buddhism is just a name. to modify Buddhism while maintaining its main principles is still Buddhism to me. it's like the El Shaddai Movement. it is a charismatic movement quite different from your usual Catholic Sunday mass. but it's still Catholicism, just a modified version of it.
    They should give it a new name then (which is why Protestantism, is Protestantism and not Catholicism, similar to why El Shaddai is El Shaddai and not Catholicism). People are given surnames, so that John A wouldn't be mistaken with John B.

Names are important, if only for record keeping purposes.

-RODION

IF it is self-styled by a non-initiate or not a Master, it's already a deviation to its pure teachings. so it wouldn't be Buddhism anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    They should give it a new name then (which is why Protestantism, is Protestantism and not Catholicism, similar to why El Shaddai is El Shaddai and not Catholicism). People are given surnames, so that John A wouldn't be mistaken with John B.

Names are important, if only for record keeping purposes.

-RODION
    but the point is, El Shaddai is Catholicism. why give Buddhism a new name when the hip hop beats and killer rhymes are merely just a strategy to attract more followers? how'd you call it? Budsha-Rhymes?

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast