Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ACE ( facts on philippine aquatic life ) 2

Greetings! ACE members

This is my second post on facts on philippine aquatic life, I hope that you will find this post interesting. If you have any questions regarding my post or anything else related to the hobby, feel free to ask.
    Thanks

This is one interesting fish that i have just obtained last year, i got this from magallanes/manalili, it was sold to me at p15 it was caught along with scats. This fish was imported by the US and the UK, it appeared in the US in 2003. When i first saw this, the first thing that came into my mind is that this is related to the datnioides and after a few hours of research, i was right, they call this the Mangrove red snapper. The fish showed similar features to the siamese, indo and american tiger fish/perch, from eating to swimming behaviour, the likeness is remarkable.

COMMON NAME:
    Mangrove red snapper

MANALILI/MAGALLANES NAME:
    None

LOCAL NAME:
    Isu, Ahaan, Aliso, Aluman, Batangal, Butangal, Chinarey, Comay, Dangdang, Darag-darag, Gingao, Haan,Kalumbang, Manarak-sarak, Mangagat, Mangngayat and Margay

SCIENTIFIC NAME:
    Lutjanus argentimaculatus

ORIGIN:
    Philippines, Indo-West Pacific: East Africa to Samoa and the Line Islands, north to the Ryukyu Islands, south to Australia. Has dispersed into the eastern Mediterranean (off Lebanon) via the Suez Canal but not well established there.

SIZE:
    150 cm, published weight is 8,700 g and reported age is 18 years

DIET:
    Carnivorous, eats mainly livefoods from fish to crustaceans, may accept thawed fish meat chunks.

NOTE:
    This fish and other related species are considered brackish inhabitants they may tolerate pure freshwater but only in brief period of time. What i normally do when doing partial water changes is, i gradually add a small amount pure rock salt in the aquarium water. This fish will be uncomfortable when there is an abrupt change in the salinity of the water and may somtimes expell the food stored in their stomache. Creating a brackish tank is not that complicated, there are specific values as to what level of salinity is recomended, but you can always follow the range of the amount of salt that you can use, the range is between 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon. Mine is even less than the range that i have mentioned.

BREEDING:
    group spawners, spawning occurs on reefs.

IDENTIFICATION:
    This species has three related specimens under the same genus. This is even related to the Blackspot Snapper which is locally known as the Maya-maya. The related species are L. ehrenbergii, L. fuscescens and L. maxweberi

This is a picture of a Blackspot Snapper which is under the same genus as the Mangrove red snapper. I haven't verified the picture so bear with me if i have the wrong picture.

@dingo, do you have data on local freshwater macro invertebrates?

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy2 View Post
    @dingo, do you have data on local freshwater macro invertebrates?

Not that much, but i have been encountering some shrimp species that i have seen locally but i havent identified them yet. Based on visual observation, i have seen 6 maybe 7 different kinds of shrimps in manalili/magallanes and in kawasan i have seen 2 species.

@Dingo Spike - for your two threads on the different brackish water fishes, it come to my mind those fishes that I caught whenever I spend my summer vacation at my mother's place at Magallanes, Agusan del Norte. The said town is at the mouth of Agusan River and my mother's ancestral land lie adjacent on a marshy area filled with nipa and mangrove. At low tide we wallow the knee deep water and catch fishes, crabs, shrimps and gather snails and oysters. We catch buwan-buwan (first thread) and gingaw (second thread). It is there where I see a lot of archer fish (we call that atataba) in the wild and scats (kikilo). I hope you could provide me information about this other brackish fishes like lumpohon (mora ni siya ug golden shark) and pawpawo (this is the most beautiful brackish fish I had encountered). Pawpawo is dark blue in color with two golden rings at the tail part. Another interesting fish to research is that small fish that is sold in the market (Langihan of Butuan). They call this "uyap". It is a fish not a shrimp. I enjoy joining my cousins in catching them. They were taught by their elders that during the new moon of February, March and April kinahanglan ilang atngan ang pagsaka sa uyap sa Agusan River. Nakakuyog ko nga didto mi sa lawod seguro mga 10 kilometers from shore nakakita mi ug baga kaayo nga doot sa uyap nga pwerte gyod nga pulaha sa tubig mora ug dugo. Gisirkolohan dayon namo sa very fine net ug sa usa lang ka taktak nakakuha mi ug bali 60 ka kahon (mora ug styrobox) nga uyap. Then amo ning gigukod padulong sa mouth sa Agusan River hangtod niabot mi sa Butuan City nga 15 km upstream sa bukana. Three days mi nga naggukod sa mga isda. Old folks said nga kining isdaa will go upstream even up to Davao del Norte. It is there where they lay eggs and during the December and January floods of Agusan River the eggs are carried to the sea where they will hatch and then return sa mountains to grow and breed again. Mao ni ang salmon behavior sa America unya naa sad tay atoa.
    Wheeyyy kataas pero enjoy ko ug relate.

@eskeryon

Mu adto nya ta sa place sa imung mother sir hehehe. Yeah i have been a fan of brackish species when i was still in high school...... My first brackish fish is the banded snakehead gudgeon, its a goby species nya bonog ang local name ani. Right now i have archer fish, scats, mangrove snapper, terapon jarbuas, banded snakehead gudgeon, snakehead gudgeon, dusky sleeper goby, duskyfrill goby, threadfin goby, philippine knight goby, neon blue dwarf goby ug uban pa............. Cge sir ako nang pangitaun imung gi mention, maybe i have already seen that, wa lang nako na identify

wow. i didnt know there are archers in our local waters.

Since were talking local organisms, id like to share my favorite single celled organism. hehehe. Thats not my hand and NO thats not my pic, that one is hijacked from the internet

So pretty...

@dingo, are you growing macro algae in your brackish tank?

unsa na sog? nindot lagi kaayo na tan awon.. murag Hydrocotyle nga specie sa freshwater..hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy2 View Post
    wow. i didnt know there are archers in our local waters.

Since were talking local organisms, id like to share my favorite single celled organism. hehehe. Thats not my hand and NO thats not my pic, that one is hijacked from the internet

So pretty...

@dingo, are you growing macro algae in your brackish tank?

Yeah thats right Sog, it nice to know that archers are native to the philippines, although theyre not endemic, theyre still worth preserving. I have known 2 species the toxotes jaculatrix/jaculator and the toxotes chatareus there are other species that i havent encountered. The T. chatareus is beleived to be a true fresh water inhabitant, but im not sure about that. What i have right now are 2 T. jaculatrix i bought them in the petstore near eskina kabangcalan in talamban its at 300 each. The nice thing about them is they are slightly aggresive towards their own kind, they will not bother other fish that shares their tank, except if the tank mates are very small, which will be eaten. They are hard to ***, with no sexual dimorphism, and just like any species under the perciform order, they are believed to be hermaproditic.

I do not have macro algae in my brackish tank and the tank where i keep my archers is slightly brackish, its a 37 gal tank, each time i do a 50% partial water change i only add 2 to 3 tablespoons of rock salt.

Quote Originally Posted by markykoi View Post
    unsa na sog? nindot lagi kaayo na tan awon.. murag Hydrocotyle nga specie sa freshwater..hehehehe
    Marky, acetabularia na siya. its a marine green algae also known as the mermaid's wine cup.

@dingo, do archers in captivity display their trademark marksman shot?

@dingo
    bro... grabe najud ni imu knowledge sa ao local fauna... we'll be expectting more infos posted here.......... hehehheheh... master najud ka sa ato local fauna.. auau bro...

@sogg
    kana mermaid's wine cup, sa pang saltwater rajud na cya? heheheh.. nice ta butang nano tank... hahhah....

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast